PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x25 Tokarev

StarMetal
08-17-2009, 02:34 PM
On another thread 9.3x62 was discussing the accuracy on some of the 30 caliber pistols. I believe he stated that the CZ52's are generally more accurate then the Tokarevs. I have both, but sold the CZ 52 last year. I did lots of shooting with both. Today I took my Tokarev out with my 100 grain cast cone nose bullets that I made the mould for. The target is a 25 yard shoot the off fairly fast ten shot standing up shooting off my lower garage retaining wall. This is not the best this pistol had done. I've done work on this pistol, as Allen knows, but most recently regulated the sights as it did shoot very high. As you can see they don't shoot that bad.

Joe
P.S. Buckshot...I had to sacrifice one of my high dollar targets for
this test. [smilie=1: It looks crappy cause it was raining too!!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/Tokarev.jpg

Sprue
08-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I'll have to admit it looks as though you got your windage down pat.

Don't let him fool ya folks, this is the orignal.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/Tokarev1.jpg

BTW, I wonder if the remaining 7 have fell to earth yet :kidding:

Seriously though, I have one (CZ 52) with the Harringtons ?? Hardened rollers & firing pin and grip upgrades, ( I bought it that way) the trigger pull is purt - tee smooth.

I was reloading for it several yrs back with jacketed, but now its all surplus.... if I take it out.

Anyway, whats your recipe for cast and tell me about your velocity &, mold too.

StarMetal
08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Well I put a trigger overtravel stop on this Tokie, plus fixed front target sight instead of that thin round blade, and I built the slide release up with mig weld so you could get enough purchase with your thumb. That with polishing up the trigger some it's not too shabby. That load shot there was my 100 gr TC bullet over top 4.5 grs of Hodgdon Univeral. Another of my loads is 5.0 grains of Unique with same bullet and also both loads using the lee 100 grain round nose. I'm not shooting it at full hilt surplus loads, don't need to, but these are snappy enough out of that little light pistol. I wonder what it would do if I welded up the link lug and put a tighter barrel bushing in it? Might end up with a Tokarev Gold Cup bwahahahahahahaha.

Joe

9.3X62AL
08-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Not too shabby, at all.

The stock sights on the ChiCom Type 54 Tokarev I have do shoot quite high, regardless of bullet weight. At 50 yards on jackrabbits, if I hold about 3/4 of the rabbit low, the critter's afternoon gets ruined right proper. That is using Lyman #313249 atop 7.0 grains of AA-7. The Tok's grooves run about .311", so Hornady 85 grain XTPs meant for the 32 Magnum seated over 7.5 grains of AA-7 run ~1350 FPS, and REALLY jack up jackrabbits. The coyotes eat good when I'm on my game.

Those TC castings Joe sent shot VERY well in both the Tok and the CZ. The CZ-52's sights print a lot closer to the pistol's trajectory than do the sights on the Tok. NVcurmudgeon found me an oddball mould just suited to the CZ's 1600 FPS potential, Lyman #311419 I think the number is. It's basically a 30/31 caliber flatnose gas check critter, like a #311316 that lost its center drive band. Not much lube capacity, so I doubt it would do well in a rifle bore.......but it seems to hold up in the 30 Luger to 1500 FPS or so. Such things are do-able in Ruger P-89X with 30 Luger barrel and 9mm recoil springs.

StarMetal
08-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Not too shabby, at all.

The stock sights on the ChiCom Type 54 Tokarev I have do shoot quite high, regardless of bullet weight. At 50 yards on jackrabbits, if I hold about 3/4 of the rabbit low, the critter's afternoon gets ruined right proper. That is using Lyman #313249 atop 7.0 grains of AA-7. The Tok's grooves run about .311", so Hornady 85 grain XTPs meant for the 32 Magnum seated over 7.5 grains of AA-7 run ~1350 FPS, and REALLY jack up jackrabbits. The coyotes eat good when I'm on my game.

Those TC castings Joe sent shot VERY well in both the Tok and the CZ. The CZ-52's sights print a lot closer to the pistol's trajectory than do the sights on the Tok. NVcurmudgeon found me an oddball mould just suited to the CZ's 1600 FPS potential, Lyman #311419 I think the number is. It's basically a 30/31 caliber flatnose gas check critter, like a #311316 that lost its center drive band. Not much lube capacity, so I doubt it would do well in a rifle bore.......but it seems to hold up in the 30 Luger to 1500 FPS or so. Such things are do-able in Ruger P-89X with 30 Luger barrel and 9mm recoil springs.

Thanks for the kind words Al. You know if you take a close look at those Tokies you'll notice the rear sight is extremely high. Well like I said I put a custom target front sight on mine and pretty close matched the original sight's height. It shot high. Well I wanted to make the notch wider in the rear sight to accommodate the new front and figured while I was at I'd lower that rear sight some. I was grateful those sights are so high. I was able to cut a deeper wider notch and file the top down to bring the bullet down on the target some. Now they looks almost normal height. Have you noticed what I'm about to mention Al? I've noticed that the Tokie is sensitive to how well you reload to match the original cartridge dimensions. If I'm off a hair even on bullet depth and even if the diameter is a little fat, she won't lock up into battery all the way. Boy the 30 Luger doesn't have any of those problem. My Tokie might have a tight bore, I know when I slugged it, it's not real fat in the grooves. I do need to smooth the trigger up somemore, but the more I shoot it the more it's smoothing itself up.

When I get somemore bullets cast up I'll give that Tokie another hard try with both the Lee and the TC nose bullets.

Joe

Sprue
08-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Joe,

Can you post a pic of your boolits, both loaded and not. Would like to see 'um.

Tks
Roger

StarMetal
08-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Joe,

Can you post a pic of your boolits, both loaded and not. Would like to see 'um.

Tks
Roger

Sprue,

Sorry I'm late with this as I was out of cast bullets. Here's a picture of the bullet along side the loaded cartridge.

Joe
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/TokBullet.jpg

Nose Dive
08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Well just bought a Tokarev from J&G,,, bit pitted but overall in very good shape..soaked it 24 hours in Ed's Red and got all the gunk off it.. blew her out with air, spray mating parts with oil... bought 1200 rounds of 'junk' loads via mail...ready to go. Like the looks of your boolits..what lead mix did you use? Data shows 1300 plus speed so would think gas check would help fouling issues if they exist. Did you chrony this loads? I have a new barrel on order from Sarco so hope to get decient accuracy,,,eventually... thanks...

“Advanced Skills” are those utilized while performing the basics when your leg is on fire.

leadeye
09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I'll have to try that boolit in a 30 Mauser. Been shooting Lee 100 grain round noses.

StarMetal
09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I'll have to try that boolit in a 30 Mauser. Been shooting Lee 100 grain round noses.

You talking about the TC nose bullet I pictured with the loaded round? If so I made the mould, it's not available, but...I'd like to see a group by mould for it. I'd like 45 2.1 to draw it up. I am going to send him some samples.

One thing I did when I designed the bullet, being both the 30 Luger and Tokareve (Mauser too) have such a short neck, was to keep the lube groove out of the combustion chamber of the case in the loaded crimped position. My bullet pretty much achieves that.

Let's yell for a group by on it and I'll get the bullets out to 45 2.1.

Joe