PDA

View Full Version : Lee pro 1000 results

jonk
08-17-2009, 09:34 AM
It often comes up, this press vs. that press, which is better, etc.

Well I have an entry level Lee pro 1000. It's a finicky press but if you watch what you are doing it gets the job done. The biggest issue is primer feed issues. Sometimes they don't come up all the way onto the seating punch and you have to goose them up with a dental pick or what have you.

So yesterday I cranked out 250 on the press. Manual bullet feed, I don't have the upgrade. Including time to put the cases in the tubes, refill the primer tray, clear about 8 minor primer jams (took about 10 seconds each time) this took me about 35 minutes once the press was set up. So figure a bit under 500 per hour load rate.

For those of you with more advanced presses, or considering purchasing a press, I just thought I'd share this. I can't say I recommend the press 100% due to the primer feed issues, but for the value, it's just what I want. I might have been able to do 100 in my single station press in that time if I was really going at it.

James C. Snodgrass
08-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Mine is picky but it has loaded probably 35K + for me . If it went to smooth I wouldn't have a excuse for a Dillon in the future to the wife . James[smilie=1:

Norseman
08-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I have loaded over 50K on my Pro 1000 and rarely have trouble with the primer feeder. The trick is to have a clean and full primer trough.

I have also removed the case detector (ie the plastic lever and the wire that stops a primer from beeing fed when there isn't a case in the station) and I do believe that this has helped on the primer feeding issue.

Of course, you'll get a primer everytime you cycle the shell plate and this must be removed from the seating punch, or you run the risk of trying to fit two primers into one primer pocket.

Baldy
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
I would like to see 500rds an hour run on one. I had the Pro 1000 and I gave it away. I wished I had bought the turret model instead.

Bill*
08-18-2009, 10:54 AM
I, too, had that primer feed problem. Now I don't wait for trouble, about every 3 boxes of 100 primers, I let it run down till near empty and hit the trough and primer seating area with a good blast from one of those cans of air from a computer store (office max, staples, etc). It seems to keep the dust and stuff off enough to avoid those problems. Then when I switch out shell carriers I use a Q-tip and the air to clean it thoroughly before storing it. hope this helps.....Bill

Landric
08-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I had horrible luck with the Pro 1000 in .45 ACP. One problem after another, most actually not related to the primer feed. I ended up returning the press to Midway (thanks to their excellent return policy), and bought a used Dillon Square Deal B for not a lot more money. The SDB is fantastic. Its not as fast as the Pro 1000 could be when working, but its much faster than my Pro 1000 ever was (since it never worked). The Pro 1000 is a great design that suffers, much like many of Lee's older design presses, from poor execution.

I don't generally go for the highest production rate possible when loading ammunition on any of my presses, but taking my time and checking everything as I go, I can easily load 100 rounds on the SDB in 15 minutes.

I'm not a Lee hater by any means, I have four presses mounted on my bench and two are Lee's, a Classic Cast and a Classic Turret. I have a third Lee press, a Breech Lock Challenger, set up for use in the house on a 2x4 that I C-clamp to the kitchen table. I hope Lee eventually brings us a progressive based on the LCT. I would love to have one for .38 Special.

trickyasafox
08-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I like the pro-1000, it gives people the option of a progressive press for not a lot of cash outlay. Primer assembly needs to be kept very clean though. I clean mine every run I do, so probably every 300 or so rounds. Also, I find keeping it well lubricated really does smooth out the cycling process.

abunaitoo
08-22-2009, 04:36 AM
I just prime the shells before reloading in my 1000.
Had way to many problems with the primers not feeding.
What a mess.
Loading 30 carbine.

Recluse
08-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I would like to see 500rds an hour run on one. I had the Pro 1000 and I gave it away. I wished I had bought the turret model instead.

My Pro1000 is primarily for loading my .38 Special 158gr SWC rounds. I can do 500 rounds in an hour fairly easy. When I convert to 9mm or .380, it slows down, for sure.

But, this was the first progressive press I ever bought and I've had it for 22 years. I know it, it knows me. The primer feed doesn't screw up on me. My fix was easy--

The primer trough. . . . I took it completely apart, set it under my benchtop magnifying glass holder set up, and polished, polished, polished and then polished some more. Once the polishing was done, I soaked it with liquid silicone and let it sit for half a day. Then I polished that off until no residue was left, then coated it with graphite.

I rigged a stint underneat the trough where it joins the shellplate carrier to keep the trough a bit more towards the vertical angle. I also never let the primers get below where the tray fits into the trough. The feed system is reliant upon gravity and weight. Configure it right and it works every time.

(The pickup tubes and feed on RCBS and Dillon drive ME crazy, but as with Lee, you learn your tricks and make them work.)

I've only ever tried to load three calibers with a Pro1000--.38, 9mm, .380. Have no idea how it is with larger calibers. No way I'd try and load .223 with it. No way, now how.

In 1987, I paid $99 for the Pro1000 in the .38 Special configuration. I have MORE than gotten my money's worth. I've replaced a few parts on it over the past 22 years, but everything I own that is mechanical has had parts replaced over time.

However, I am well aware of the frustrations this press has caused many reloaders. I had a dickens of a time with the learning curve early on, too.

:coffee:

TAWILDCATT
08-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I decap clean cases and hand prime.then load them in 1000.no problems.I have anoth 1000 I load the 223 on.I bought 1000 damaged 223 [range pickups] I pull the bullets,dump powder and resize in bonanza,back in 1000 and load.works but the case is little sloppy in the plate so I watch .:coffee: