PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks - what's the difference?

kelbro
08-17-2009, 12:18 AM
I normally use Hornady gas checks. I have seen the Lymans too. Are the RCBS gas checks more like the Lymans or the Hornadys?

Any preference for one style over the other? FWIW, I will be using them in a Lee luber/sizer.

I also have a .44 Lee 240gr TL mold that doesn't use GCs. If I cast linotype in this mold, would there be any advantage to investing in all the GC hardware to shoot the Lee GC 240 bullet?

Thanks.

Buckshot
08-17-2009, 01:02 AM
.............There is only one GC maker these days (beside's Gator) and that's Hornady. The old Lyman slip on-slip off :-) GC's haven't been made for some time.

...............Buckshot

Leftoverdj
08-17-2009, 01:30 AM
I also have a .44 Lee 240gr TL mold that doesn't use GCs. If I cast linotype in this mold, would there be any advantage to investing in all the GC hardware to shoot the Lee GC 240 bullet?

Thanks.

Depends on what you are doing with them. I have never had any luck at all shooting plain base bullets much faster than 1200 fps in my Marlin. It does fine with GC bullets past 1700 fps.

My pistol shooting is recreational. Ordinarily, 1000 fps is plenty for me, and I can do that or better with plain base bullets. GCs are needless effort and expense for that shooting.

shotman
08-17-2009, 02:53 AM
If you have any of the old onesLyman/ideal you may have a problem in the lee push through.As buckshot said slip on/off. The Hornady is a crimp type and works good . Most of the Lee molds I have the Hornady is a little hard to seat. Some need a "tap tap" to seat and some you have to run backards. I start the boolit in the Lee and then "tap tap " the press handle to "drive " the check on. As said if you dont drive them fast no need for check

1Shirt
08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Have shot many many old lyman gas checks, but only in straight cases (357, 44, 444, 45-70. Have always been afraid of them dropping off bottle neck cases and lodging in the bbl. A lot of chrono's have been damaged by the old lymans at 15 feet out as well.
1Shirt!:coffee:

mdi
08-17-2009, 12:23 PM
From what I've read, there are only two gas check manufacturers; Gator and Hornady, even though Lyman sells them. I'm not sure of the expence of additional hardware, if you have a Lee sizing tool you don't need anything else, and if you don't have one I think they are still less than $30 (probably less).

FWIW, I'd cut the lino with pure and size the boolits to fit your bore; slug the bore and shoot boolits about .001" to .002 over bore diameter.