PDA

View Full Version : Smacked by my peep sight

Box13
08-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I went and shot my new used EMF sharps 45-70 today and got smacked by my creedmore sight.The first shot was ok...The second flipped the sight back and nicked me on the bridge of my nose...The third shot flipped the sight down at a 45 degree slant and jabbed the corner of the sight into my forehead.It wasnt as bad as it sounds but what am I missing?Do I need a bigger aperture so I get more relief?Am I not holding it tight enough to my shoulder?Is there something I need to do to the sight to fix it upright?Im at a loss,I shot 20 rounds and could not use the creedmore sight.I just used the open sights but the peep is way more accurate for me...Robin

NickSS
08-17-2009, 05:06 AM
It sounds to me like your detent spring at the bottom of your sight stalk is week and your rear sight is loose in its base. Try tightening the screw that holds your sight stalk in place or do what I do I wear a ball cap that fits beween me and the sight stalk. It routinely hits my hat brim instead of me. Most of my rifle sights fit tight enough that they either do not move or tend to tilt forward from recoil. A couple of sights I have are do come backward but as I said they hit my hat brim.

cajun shooter
08-17-2009, 10:43 AM
#1 on the posting by NickSS. If that spring is that loose or weak then I would replace it. When my soule sight is on the rifle you can't push it to the rear without bending the sight. It should be that it goes forward under recoil not to the rear.

pietro
08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
It COULD be that the sight got installed backwards. :veryconfu