PDA

View Full Version : which powder dispenser?

outdoorfan
08-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I have an RCBS Uniflow, and it meters ball powders really well, but stick (extruded) powders like 4350 are a different story. Most of the time it will throw charges with +/- .2 grains from the targetted charge weight (when throwing extruded powder), but sometimes it'll throw one that is more than that .2 grains. I've been reading that the Lee perfect powder measure will do extruded powders pretty well (no cutting), but it won't meter the ball powder for crap.

I've also read a couple comments that the Lyman 55 with 3-disc system will do ball & extruded powder very accurately. I would like to get one off fleebay if this is true. Any comments, opinions, experiences anybody would like to share?

shooting on a shoestring
08-16-2009, 04:03 PM
I use a Lyman 55 (two of them actually). They will give you the same results as the RCBS. For rifle loads, I always set the measure to drop about .5 to 1 grain shy and trickle to weight. For revolvers and my skills, trickling charges doesn't help.

Dad has had both RCBS and Lyman. Both are fine, not perfect.

c3d4b2
08-16-2009, 04:38 PM
I compared a RCBS against a Harrell using Reloader 15. Statistically they were same. The RCBS had a lower standard deviation though. I was somewhat surprised after all I had read about the Harrell.

wallenba
08-16-2009, 04:53 PM
I've got a Lee perfect powder measure. It is extremely good at consistant throws. I don't use a ball powder at the moment. It might be worth experimenting with as they are inexpensive. If you do, don't bother trying to use the charge increment numbers and chart. It is just not useful. Just weigh them until you get it right. Take it apart first and coat everywhwere powder will touch inside with powdered graphite, it will break in faster. A little 'flick' with the finger while filling and dropping will help.

watkibe
08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I have an old CH powder measure that I love. With flake and ball powders it is very repeatable, with extruded stick powders, not so much. It has a scale on the adjustment, but it doesn't mean much. I always have to adjust it to the scale when I start. It's the only way to go when loading up a lot of handgun cartridges. I don't know that I'd buy a new one though, the other day I saw they are almost $100 ! I spent a lot less than that for mine in the 80's.
What really surprises me is the way I can throw exactly the same charge every time with Lee dippers if my technique is the same every time. I usually dip into the scale pan and trickle up the desired charge for load development and small lots of rifle cartridges.

outdoorfan
08-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks. Sounds like I'll stick with what I have and be happy with it.

Lloyd Smale
08-17-2009, 05:59 AM
I had a pact dispensor that i lost in the fire. Never really liked it because it was SLOW. I guess the new ones are a bit faster. I wanted an rcbs unit (because of the great customer service at rcbs) but with all the shortages they werent available. I settled on a new lyman unit and it seems to work great. Much faster and easier to use then the pact was. I just hope it holds up as lymans customer service SUCKS!

Lloyd Smale
08-17-2009, 06:03 AM
my mistake. By dispensor i thought you were talking electric dispensors. As far as measures go I have two rcbs units and have had lymans in the past. The rcbs ones do a fair job but in my opinion the lymans are junk. Way to hard to adjust. I bought the first of three lock and load hornadys and the first thing i fell in love with was there powder measures. There accurate repeatable and handy with the quick change inserts. I know have 5 of them and about 20 extra inserts to keep set in specific weights.

outdoorfan
08-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Lloyd,

I forgot that there was a difference between a dispencer and a measurer. So, you like the Hornadys for their handiness. What about there accuracy when metering extruded powders as compared to the RCBS unit?

Farmall 1066
08-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I have used Redding, Lyman, C-H, and Lee, and out of all of them, the Lee works most smoothly and consistently with extruded powders. For @ $25, I'd try one. I think you'll like it!

Andy

hobbylink1
08-17-2009, 12:28 PM
RCBS Uniflowhas alway work great for me.

Shiloh
08-17-2009, 01:11 PM
RCBS, Dillon, and now a Lyman.

Most will have problems with the long or thick stick powders. Throw light and trickle.
IMR 4759 throws good, within a 10th of a grain. Ball powders throw perfect every time.

Shiloh

257 Shooter
08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Add the RCBS Micormeter to your Uiflow and it will make extruded powder drop easier. I load lots of H4831 and it makes it flow a lot easier.

TAWILDCATT
08-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I use dedicated lee disk on pistol.set it once and leave it.I have never had complaints.
I do same with rifle.small discrepancys dont bother me as the cartridges shot well.
I dont shoot at long range.and the accuracy is satisfactory my 1903 will stay in one inch or less at 100yrds with 13.5 gr red dot and 311291.:coffee:[smilie=1:

outdoorfan
08-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Add the RCBS Micormeter to your Uiflow and it will make extruded powder drop easier. I load lots of H4831 and it makes it flow a lot easier.

I'll have to check into that.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Another thing you might want to try is to add either a Hornady case activated powder drop or the RCBS equivalent. I have the RCBS Uniflow and the Hornady powder measures. Both are very similar, with rotating drums. Both work better with a micrometer installed and both are more accurate with case activated powder drop mounted on a press than they are operated by hand. I think this is because the case activated powder drop is more consistent.

I get plus or minus a tenth of a grain with both measures using IMR 4895.

Regards,

Dave

outdoorfan
08-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Another thing you might want to try is to add either a Hornady case activated powder drop or the RCBS equivalent. I have the RCBS Uniflow and the Hornady powder measures. Both are very similar, with rotating drums. Both work better with a micrometer installed and both are more accurate with case activated powder drop mounted on a press than they are operated by hand. I think this is because the case activated powder drop is more consistent.

I get plus or minus a tenth of a grain with both measures using IMR 4895.

Regards,

Dave

What does the micrometer do? Does it simply allow you to dial the charge in quicker, or does it make for more accurate drop-to-drop charges?

I noticed on another thread how you had that Uniflow rigged up on your Lee Classic Turret. That's exactly what I want to do when I can scrounge up enough money to get one (the Turret). Now, are there any other accessories that I'll need to adapt the Hornady case activated thingy to the RCBS Uniflow?

On another note, will the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure work with loads in the 50-60 grain range?

Ken O
08-17-2009, 09:19 PM
I have the RCBS, Dillon (on the progressive), Horandy Deluxe, and a Lee Perfect powder measures.

For stick the Lee is by far the best, but its terrible for ball. The others handle ball real well, but suck with stick.

Just my experience, YMMV, Ken

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Answers in red within the quote.

What does the micrometer do? Does it simply allow you to dial the charge in quicker, or does it make for more accurate drop-to-drop charges?

Near as I can tell, it does both, assuming you use the appropriate cylinder. The micrometer is significantly more accurate than the standard setup, at least it has been for me, because it's graduated in smaller divisions.

I noticed on another thread how you had that Uniflow rigged up on your Lee Classic Turret. That's exactly what I want to do when I can scrounge up enough money to get one (the Turret). Now, are there any other accessories that I'll need to adapt the Hornady case activated thingy to the RCBS Uniflow?

You'll need the bar that goes on the Uniflow drum. I tried to buy it from RCBS, but they insisted on mailing it to me for free. You won't have to get it if you use the RCBS version of the Hornady CAPD. I can't remember what the name is for the RCBS version, but it's a very well built device.

On another note, will the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure work with loads in the 50-60 grain range?

I don't know. I use my Hornady LnL and my Uniflow for loads in that size range, as in that range, I'm generally using extruded powders, so I go with my Uniflow or LnL powder measures.

MtGun44
08-17-2009, 10:31 PM
The micrometer adjuster on a Uniflow makes it more accurate?????

On mine, the powder chamber is exactly the same. Only the scale is more finely
divided. Is this what you mean by accuracy? I was thinking of consistent
powder quatities from drop to drop as "accuracy". Maybe we are thinking
of two different things.

Bill

outdoorfan
08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I looked for the RCBS version of the Hornady CAPD, but I couldn't find it. I'll probably have to call them. The Hornady version sure isn't cheap.

GabbyM
08-17-2009, 11:10 PM
No measure will drop precise charges of 4350's long stick. You'll have to drop in a scale pan then trickle up to weight. That's probably why I'm still working on the same eight pound can of 4350 I bought in 1975.

vincewarde
08-18-2009, 12:33 AM
I have had a RCBS Uniflow since the early 1980s - but neck problems started making it hard to using the throw - trickle method with my beam scale. I thought about getting a digital dispenser.

I ended up getting one of RCBSs least expensive digital scales. Combined with the Uniflow, it makes for a fast system for throwing charges. The scale can be set up close to the measure and is much faster than a beam scale. I found that I can set the measure to drop .3 or so low and then trickle from there. Lots of times the measure will throw right on, if not adding .2-.3 is quick. I can comfortably and carefully about 4 charges per minute. I don't think that the digital dispenser could have done that. The nice thing that for many powders you don't need to check every charge. But when you do, it's quick.

I too would stick to the Uniflow.

Lloyd Smale
08-18-2009, 06:47 AM
like was said ive yet to find a measure from anyone that i can trust to do stick powder. Thats when i switch to a electric dispensor. there a bit costly but take the hastle out of loading stick powders and when you think about it there really not that badly priced. You can get one in the 200-300 dollar range and considering the added benifit of getting an electonic scale in the package and the fact that a standard measure is at least 60 bucks the cost isnt that bad. If you watch the classifieds you might even find a used one cheaper.

abunaitoo
08-22-2009, 04:48 AM
Have an old Midway that I think is a RCBS, Lee PPM, an old C&H, and a old Pacific that's like the B&M.
Had the best luck with my Lee disc. Had to do some fitting, but it drops close enough for me and doesn't leak all over the place.
The pacific is good for rifle stick powder.

Bret4207
08-22-2009, 08:26 AM
I have a Lyman 55 and Redding BR micrometer measures. Both work fine, but the Redding is much easier to set once I know the mic reading. For large stick powders, nothing beats my B+M Visible Powder Measure. Every drop in the same, has to be.

1hole
08-22-2009, 06:35 PM
So get the Lee and have two. The cost is low enough and it works better than most anything else.

mikenbarb
08-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Belding & Mull all the way! I love the two I own and their dead nuts with ball, flake and extruded. You just gotta have consistency using them.

dromia
08-23-2009, 03:06 AM
I have to concur, the B&M is the only dispenser that handles "difficult" powders consistently.

I'm happy to dump straight from the measure into a case secure in the knowledge it will be true. No need for trickling up.

pmeisel
08-23-2009, 09:29 AM
I like my Lee Perfect. For break in, I just put a couple of hoppers through it, right back into the container.

outdoorfan
08-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Are there any real drawbacks to the B&M? Been reading that they're not the most user friendly. Nevertheless, my interest is sparked.

carpetman
08-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Outdoor fan--Yes one drawback to the B&M is it is slow. You want speed or do you want accuracy? Other draw back is they are a little more difficult to mount. Being a sideways movement vs a pull down movement it requires more ridgid mounting. Not a difficult thing, just brace the sides so it doesnt turn. I have yet to find a powder they don't handle.