PDA

View Full Version : Improved Trigger for Browning 1885 BPCR ?

TonyT
08-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I have two Browning 1885 BPCR rifles, one in 40-65 and the other in 38-55. The problem is the awful trigger. Has anyone found a replacemnt trigger mechanism or determined how to improve on the factory trigger?

Nobade
08-16-2009, 05:34 PM
If you take off the buttstock and examine the threaded hole the stock bolt goes into, you will see it is pointing directly at the sear. If you use a piece of M7 bolt with a screwdriver slot cut into it, that can be threaded into the hole to adjust the trigger's creep. Use purple Loctite to keep it in place once it is adjusted, and it needs to be short enough that the stock bolt does not hit it when tightened. Or you can shorten the stock bolt slightly if needed. This is all you need to do to get a very nice trigger on these rifles. Also a word of warning. Do not dissasemble the action unless you are very competent with mechanical puzzles. It is not hard to dissasemble, and extremely difficult to get back together. Just leave it alone and shoot it, and you will be much happier.

McLintock
08-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Well, I'll tell 'ya, I tried the mod that Nobade describes, and many others have tried with apparent success, but I guess I didn't hold my mouth just right as I ended up with this:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/2593806/235779401.jpg
On my first trip to the range after thinking I had gotten it adjusted just right, the trigger let off started going away and I put a nice hole through my chrony.
I took it home, removed the threaded adjuster (I've still got two of them in a parts bin), and sent the sear to Lee Shaver, and for $25 he put the nicest trigger let off I could hope for, especially for the price. I had 3 of them done by Lee; he now charges $35, I think.
Just my $.02 for what it's worth.
McLintock

Nobade
08-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Hmmm, not quite enough sear engagement, eh?

That's why we all must carefully check all trigger work in the shop before closing the action on a loaded round.

BTW, anybody heard any recent news on Lee Shaver? I'd heard he's been hard to reach recently, hope all is OK with him.

TonyT
08-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the advice - I'll be careful when adjusting the sear engagemnent.

texasmac
08-21-2009, 07:46 PM
There are 4 ways to lighten the trigger pull on a Browning, including the one responsible for McLintock's mishap, which is known as the McGee modification, but you'll have to buy my book to find out, :roll: Go to http://www.texas-mac.com.

Wayne

Muddy Creek Sam
08-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Would this info be the same on the Winchester 1885? Just laid one away.

Sam :D

texasmac
10-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Yes, it would if it is a modern (Miroku manufactured) Win. 1885
Wayne