PDA

View Full Version : try again

gjb
08-16-2009, 09:34 AM
All of my die are homemade . I use a carbide tile cutter to make the ogive for any of the rifle punches. Right now in 223 a 6 ogive and 22 mag cases gives me a 59.4 gr bullet and pushed at 3038 (10shot average)fps I get a 1/2 group.

I just made a jacket die for soft tubing for the 44 mag. So far it penatrates 5 wet phone books at 15 yds and keeps 97 % of the weight. I am loading now for the 444 Marlin and will test to 100 yds.

I will post the die and specs. later along with the tolls used. It took about 45 minutes and it works great. Even a cheap c press can make them.

I shoot everyday with the 44 mag. 4 grs unique and glue sticks that have been cut off to 5/8 inch. push the glue sticks thru sizing die . It does work good on the squrills. and the wild cats at 25 yds it does not kill them but it does make them lick their bruses. It will take the squrill off the feeder at 25 feet and send him limping. Great for making cats jump 7-10 feet straight up and run in mid air. Who says cats can't fly?

Got to get to church will post pictures later on of the die and scraper cheap hardware material maybe 10 bucks but it works. Too bad life isn't as easy as swaging.

Salmon-boy
08-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Ok, so you've go me curious..

A tile cutter? OUTSTANDING! Please elaborate - That's definitely thinking outside the box..

Doc Highwall
08-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Yes the tile cutter does sound interesting. I have been thinking of making some smooth sided boolits for paper patching.

Pressman
08-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I like the part about glue sticks and flying cats, tell us more.
Ken

deltaenterprizes
08-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Interested in how you make the ogive with the tile cutter!

shooterg
08-16-2009, 06:44 PM
What do you use to trim the derimmed .22 mag cases down with ? 56 grains is about the most I get with .22 LR cases and still have the "hollow point" look. Like to make some 75 gr. boat tails using .22 mag cases I've been accumulating(also .17HMR's might work?)
Pics please !

Buckshot
08-17-2009, 01:38 AM
I like the part about glue sticks and flying cats, tell us more.
Ken

.............Several ways to do it, but you DO have to hit the cat :-)

See:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17577

Maybe 6 -7 pages from the National Assoc of Glue shooters [smilie=p:

.............Buckshot

dragonrider
08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
I too would like to know more about you method of making dies.

scrapcan
08-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I am wondering if he is using glass/tile spade drill. That would be a great way to make a reamer. I think I have a few of those in the drawer.

I guess I will wait to see his pictures and tool list.

7of7
08-19-2009, 12:09 AM
The suspense is killingggg meeeee......... Pictures,... I need picturessssss.....

kawalekm
08-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Yes please, I'd like to see pictures of your process.

scrapcan
08-19-2009, 05:14 PM
ok guys I don't think we will see any pictures as I see the other post says he is off for greener pastures. I guess it is up to the rest of us to see if we can make something work from his short description.

Having some expereince with drilling glass (mirrors, plate glass, etc...) I have some experience with the drill bits I think he was talking about. They are like the one shown on the following webpage, that page is for reference only.

http://www.ceramictiledrill.com/

I have used tool steel bits, carbide bits, diamond coated bits, titanium bits, and maybe a few others. The one thing that was always constant was that you had to keep the bit lubricated and cooled, we used turpentine to drill glass and tile. mineral oil also worked but turpentine was best.

So not much different I woudl think when drilling metal, we must also keep lubed and cooled.

Anyway just throwing a few more ideas to the masses for experimentation.

ETG
08-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Would you grind one side off and use as a single flute bit. Seems like that would be easier to fine tune the diameter. Drill undersize and ream with glass bit.

scrapcan
08-20-2009, 01:03 AM
ETG,

I had the same question as to a half or whole bit. I was worried about rgidity of making a half reamer, but one will not know till one of us tries it out. I looked and I anly have 1/4 and smaller glass bits in the junk drawer. I may have to stop and buy a new bit for testing. I think I will try to find a HSS so I can easily grind and hone. I am very new at using the lathe and grinding cutting tools.

7of7
08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
This thread was started after all the other posts by gjb. I think we will see pictures as soon as he visits again...
I do agree that they may be the glass bits.. I also think that a single sided bit would work well, as you really want to go slow so you don't over heat the bit. I will have to go and get some of them....

gjb
08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I don't know how to post pictures but the bits are ceramic tile and are cheap about 4.00 each. and yes I grind one side down and after I get the die made and cleaned up I just cast some lead in it and measure it to see if it is what I want. I send the finished product to my stepson who has been in the machine business for himself in Denver area for 20 yrs. and he hardens them for me. Also the 22 long rifle die is .224 and tapers to .226 and is a straight thru,so I don't have to stop. Also I just put a little lube in the top of the die and let it run down inside about every 8-10 .22 cases. I just put them in merdic acid ,rinse them and tumble them for a couple hours ,fill them with lead and swage away.

gjb
08-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Because they are longer I use CCI cases. Right now I am working on making a die that will make a forming die for 30 cal. to make H type jackets out of .250 soft copper, but that is a bit more complex to try to crush or indent the right amount I am close but still can't get the same results everytime.

scrapcan
08-20-2009, 11:31 AM
gjb,

I am glad that you stuck around. This is a good bunch to be part of. I look forward to learning what you have done.

I am always fascinated by those who can impart thier wisdom on the rest of us. It sure helps to save time and effort.

postign pictures is pretty easy. and there are several ways to go about it.

if they are hosted somewhere and have a url to link to (i.e. photo bucket etc...) you can use the little icon with the picture of a mountain an dlink that way.

Or if you just have the pictures local, you can use the " Go Advanced reply option and use the attach tool. There are restrictions on file size so you may have to work on that.

If you want to email the pictures and have someone help in the learning process one of us will surely help. just holler.

scrapcan
08-20-2009, 11:34 AM
GJB,

What type of drill are you using, HSS/carbide/etc..? How are you grinding and honing the cutting edge, just like one would do with a normal cutting tool?

What type of steel are you using for raw material? I have an axle out of a front wheel drive car (just changed it a couple weeks ago due to bad cv joint) and thought it would be a good start for learning.

Sorry for the questions, but I am interested in what you have done and how you did it.

deltaenterprizes
08-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I tried using the glass drill bits from Harbor Freight but they keep breaking,what speed are you turning the spindle?

7of7
08-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Good question Delta, as I was planning on purchasing some from HFT to do this with.
I have been spending time with my grinder and working on making some tools from square tool stock. I just cant seem to get the curvature correct for the desired result... I will do it however, it may take a little time...
Then it is how to get the hardening done...

gjb
08-21-2009, 11:33 AM
the Lathe is running at 475 rpms. I use any metal I can get my greasy paws on. Normally I like the rockwell hardness to be in the low to mid 40's. For polishing I use cheese cloth that has valve gringing compound on it, It is water based,and I get it at NAPA for about 4 bucks but a tube lasts decades. I have a crossman sierra pro that will not hit a gallon jug at 25 yds so now I am resleeving the barrel,and then a die for the pellets to get it to shoot. I cannot stand a gun that will not group 3 shots into a 1/2 in. Cannot really adjust loads for this. I have made tighter seals for it but to no avale. Back to the die I start with a pilot hole for .22 cal bullets I use 1/8 inch bit then switch to the tile cutter and cutting oil usually takes about 20-30 minutes from start to finish.

deltaenterprizes
08-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks, I was not making a pilot hole.