PDA

View Full Version : Magma-Star Lubri-sizer O-Ring?

Dutch4122
04-03-2006, 06:15 PM
I just trashed the top "O" ring (rookie mistake) on my Magma Star Lubrisizer. Are they a common size I should find at the local hardware store, or will I have to order spares from Magma Eng.?

Thanks,

P.S. I did a search before asking since I seem to remember this being mentioned before, but no luck.

LAH
04-03-2006, 08:51 PM
I've ruin several of these and the correct size I haven't a clue. I have found that two of my Star lubers do just fine without that O ring. Some of the dies I use with teflon tape while with others it's not required. If you're not using the bullet feed you can probably get by without it. Just a thought.............Creeker

Dutch4122
04-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks Creeker!

I'll give it a try and report back.

Dutch4122
04-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Well, no luck with my machine (newer Magma produced Star Lube-sizer) when leaving the top rubber O-ring out. Lube was squeezing out the top around the die on every cycle. Even tried very little pressure, but then I wasn't getting hardly any lube in the grooves. Gonna try the local hardware store and if no luck there I'll have to give Magma a call. I'll be ordering a few more sizing dies soon so I can just add a few of these O-rings to the order if I can't find them locally.

Dutch4122
04-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Went to the hardware store and picked up a few. Size is: 15/16X3/4X3/32 #14 O-ring.

In case anybody else runs into the same trouble.

LAH
04-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the o-ring sizes. This shoud be a great help to those with the NEW Stars so you guys writ'em down for future use. One thing I've found helpful is to lube the die body and o-rings before installing the die. I use Petrolumn Jelly.

OLD Stars do not use this o-ring, only the NEW ones. I have a NEW one without a ring that will work using most my dies but teflon tape is required for a couple to keep lube leakage to a minimum which means a wipe now and then. Please keep us informed.

Springfield
04-09-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't use tham on my new sizer ands I get just a bit of seepage, but I can live with that. I change my dies at least once a week and I got tired of fighting the o-ring.

phishroy
06-15-2010, 11:47 PM
i just tore the o- ring on my star sizer, second time in a row, is there a right and wrong way of removing the die out without taring the o ring?
i cant see how i would of been able to prevent it from taring

LAH
06-16-2010, 05:37 AM
phishroy you just push them out & push them in. Try some lube going in & be sure it's square. This may be a good place for Imperial Sizing Lube from Redding/Saeco.........Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

cheese1566
06-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Sounds likeI'll need to stock up on some O-rings and a small can of plumbers lube from the hardware store.

Edubya
06-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Well, no luck with my machine (newer Magma produced Star Lube-sizer) when leaving the top rubber O-ring out. Lube was squeezing out the top around the die on every cycle. Even tried very little pressure, but then I wasn't getting hardly any lube in the grooves. Gonna try the local hardware store and if no luck there I'll have to give Magma a call. I'll be ordering a few more sizing dies soon so I can just add a few of these O-rings to the order if I can't find them locally.

Dutch, why would you not get your dies from our own member: csasmith@sbcglobal.net ?
I've gotten them from him and many others on this board have also gotten them from him and everyone has praised his work and the speed at which they got what they wanted. He can even customize your die.
EW

cajun shooter
06-16-2010, 09:49 AM
If you buy your dies from Lathesmith you will not have that problem. The first time I changed a Star made die the rubber o-ring broke. I started buying from Lathesmith and my problem is gone. As Springfield posted I size using about 80 lbs on my air cylinder and I don't have enough seepage to wipe off. No big deal; and no more o-rings.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-16-2010, 01:28 PM
My dies are from Lathesmith and I broke the top o-ring every time I switched dies...unless I cranked the heat up and really softened the lube. I run without one now and get a little seepage, but not enoughto worry about. If you need some orings, pm me and I will send you a bunch...I think I have over 1000 of them just sitting here collecting dust. BTW, nothing against Chris's dies....they are top notch! IIRC Magma decided to use o-rings so their tolerances didn't have to be so tight??? I think the older Stars don't use o-rings??? I may be wrong, but I am sure someone will chirp in...

casterofboolits
06-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Correct, the old Stars do not use an O-ring. All three of my Stars are from San Diego! :drinks:

plaz
11-06-2010, 04:51 AM
I have Lathesmith dies and I absolutely need an o-ring to minimize seepage.

Will someone tell me how you use teflon tape instead of an o-ring.? Where do you put the tape and how much tape do you use?

LAH
11-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I have Lathesmith dies and I absolutely need an o-ring to minimize seepage.

Will someone tell me how you use teflon tape instead of an o-ring.? Where do you put the tape and how much tape do you use?

Try a couple wraps at the top of die just under the lip..............Creeker

lathesmith
11-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Yes, O-rings are used in the newer sizers so that the die chamber can be held to looser tolerances, thus manufacture of the lubri-sizer is a bit faster and cheaper. That's also why that some guys can get by without them--they happen to get a sizer that has near minimum die chamber dimensions, so seepage is also minimal.

lathesmith

plaz
11-07-2010, 04:56 AM

How many o-rings are we supposed to use?. I only know of space for the one o-ring inside the star structure.

plaz
11-07-2010, 05:04 AM
I added teflon wrap around the die in addition to the o-ring and eliminated all leakage. If it still leaks add more teflon tape.

LAH
11-07-2010, 02:47 PM
How many o-rings are we supposed to use?. I only know of space for the one o-ring inside the star structure.

One is one and all alone and ever more will be so. It was designed for & only takes one.