PDA

View Full Version : sks ejection dents....

3006guns
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
When I had a pile of surplus 7.62 x 39, the world was a wonderful place. That original pile is starting to dry up and it's time to use my reloadable brass, and that brings up a question:

Has anyone come up with a way to prevent case dents in the sks (other than using a Yugo with the gas valve shut off)? Some sort of buffer, pad, lighter load, etc.? Exactly WHAT is the case banging against on its trip to the sky?

My reloads will be pretty evenly split between boolits and j-words and I'd sure like to get any info or opinions before reloading.

NuJudge
08-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Having reloaded a lot of both boxer and berdan 7.62x39, why are you concerned with the dent? It makes no difference on reloading.

CDD

Craig67
08-16-2009, 06:14 PM
When shooting reloads in my SKS, I just pull the gas piston. Needless to say, this makes the rifle into a bolt action, but I don't lose those precious pieces of brass.

zomby woof
08-16-2009, 06:26 PM
there was a thread in here about someone buying an additional gas tube and drilling holes in it to vent the gas. He was able to get the brass ejecting softly. Try searching, it's in here someplace.

3006guns
08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks everyone....I'd forgotten about that thread but finally found it. It also just so happens that I have a spare gas tube. By the way, don't invest in one of those new tubes with the Picatinney rail. The one I got was a horribly loose fit on all of my sks rifles. With some copper shims and holes drilled though, it might be just the answer for brass recovery.

FAsmus
08-18-2009, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=NuJudge;638289]Having reloaded a lot of both boxer and berdan 7.62x39, why are you concerned with the dent? It makes no difference on reloading.

Judge;

I have found that my SKS ejection dent on brass cases is bad enough that cases thus damaged will not ( after a couple times though the rifle ) will not enter the LEE priming tool shell holder for repriming. So far, they will still go into the regular shell-holder but priming that-a-way is pretty slow going.

Regards,
Forrest

badgeredd
08-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks everyone....I'd forgotten about that thread but finally found it. It also just so happens that I have a spare gas tube. By the way, don't invest in one of those new tubes with the Picatinney rail. The one I got was a horribly loose fit on all of my sks rifles. With some copper shims and holes drilled though, it might be just the answer for brass recovery.

You'll not be sorry you modified an extra tube...guaranteed! It is IMHO THE mod to make to an SKS if you're reloading. BTW, I did use a Picatinney railed tube...threw away the rail and it worked out well. Sounds like you've got it under control with the copper washers too.

Edd