PDA

View Full Version : Best lube & sizer

A Nimrod
08-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi All just got a LC45 Marlin and a 250 gr bullet mold and was wanting to know which make sizer and bullet luber combo I should get?

TIA a Nimrod

jforwel
08-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't know if it's the best and I am also of limited experience but if you have to buy the whole set up you might consider the Lyman casting kit which includes the 4500 sizer, 8lb electric pot, dipper, cast loading handbook and a few other things.

The price for the kit is very reasonalbe compared to buying the sizer alone. Of course there are other more expensive tools as well as bottom pour pots and so on. Just my .02cents.

I am sure you will get plenty more suggestions to ponder.

dromia
08-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Depends on what you want to do and what you want to spend. The Star is a class act especially if you want thousands of boolits of the same diameter done speedily, it has no peer. I sold mine.

If you are like me doing batches of say 200 boolits at a time in different diameters for different rifles and calibres then the RCBS or the Lyman is good, they are what I use. The RCBS is probably the one to look at as their product support is second to none. I have three RCBS and two Lymans, only one was bought new.

The SAECO is also a fine sizer but their dies are expensive, the Lyman and RCBS ones are interchangeable and cheaper. I have a SAECO but its not on my bench as I haven't sprung the dosh for alternative dies, it used to be set up for .357" which I don't shoot any more.

For lube you won't go far wrong with White Label lubes, thats all I use now except for some LBT blue for some specific applications. The link to White Label is at the bottom of the page under LsStuff. Its run by Lars45 who is one of us so deserving of our support for making a fine product at the cheapest price around.

mooman76
08-15-2009, 05:05 PM
It really depends on your casting needs. There are some really good sizers but they are expensive. Do you shoot 100 rnds a month or 1000 and how much are you willing to spend?

Leftoverdj
08-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi All just got a LC45 Marlin and a 250 gr bullet mold and was wanting to know which make sizer and bullet luber combo I should get?

TIA a Nimrod

No need to get any just yet. Marlins like fat bullets. Chances are excellent that your bullets do not need sizing. Cast a hundred, lube them however suits your fancy, and then think about whether you need a lubrisizer. Liquid Alox is the most popular method of lubing without sizing, but there are many others. If you do get a sizer, I would suggest a .454 die.

Marine Sgt 2111
08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Longer than I care to take credit for, years ago I started with a Lee cast boolit kit in which you placed your cast boolits into a small pan, poured in molten bullet lube, let it solidify and cut the bullets out which a "cake cutter." You then drove the bullets through a sizing sleeve with a special punch and a mallet.

I then purchased a Lyman 450 and used it for the next 36 years, repairing it as needed. I still have it and use it. 21 years ago I bought a magma auto luber and used that in a cast bullet business along with a Star that I used to size small lots of bullets (under 1000). Within the last year I purchased a SAECO and it is a fine press and does a great job. I have never owed a RCBS luber and sizer.

Which is the best? Lyman is the cheapest and you can swap dies back and forth with RCBS dies. I am in the midst of seeing which sizes the best between the 450 and the SAECO. Same diameter sizer, same bullet, same load just one bullet sizer in the 450 and the other in the SAECO. I will write of the results later.

The Star is a fine sizer once you get used to setting it up, keeping notes of the setups and operation. White Label lubes are simply the best for the money.:drinks:

Jack Stanley
08-15-2009, 09:06 PM
The LEE push through sizers that fit a loading press work well if they happen to have your size .

The RCBS I think is the best entry into the lube/sizer market , rarely would you need their customer service but it far outshines the compitition in the same price range .

I have two Star machines to handle most of my lube sizing . I found both of them used and at a very reasonable price . I suggest them if a lot of bullets are to be made .

Lube ? I use everything from LEE liquid Alox , the 50/50 Alox mixes and LBT Blue , it really depends how fast I'm gonna shoot them .

Jack

fredj338
08-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Star/Magma hands down. I started like Marine, Lee pan lube & hand sizer. Then a Lyman, worked well but slow. The Star is great, once you get it setup, 1200 bullets an hour is easy. With the heated base, WL Carnuba is tough to beat. If you use a lot of GC bullets, I would probably go Saeco or RCBS.

arthury
08-19-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm leaning to getting a SAECO but having read the reviews at MidwayUSA, it appears that their seals breaks easily and leaks lubes.
If you own this lubrisizer and have experience with it, could you kindly share your experiences, please?

It also appears that the SAECO lubrisizer does not come with everything. Can you confirm that for every caliber I want to use it with, I'd need to get:

die
punch

Is there anything else?

Currently, I have a Lee's push-thru sizer kit but I found out that the punch that came with it cannot fit into my Dillon 550B. So, I'd be forced to buy an el cheapo $28 Lee single stage press to make this work, together with extra shell holders.

Thanks!

km101
08-21-2012, 12:10 AM
I bought a Lyman 450 some time ago, and have had nothing but good luck with it. I cast/load/shoot between 400 - 1000 rnds per month, depending on weather and budget.:) Nothing has ever broke that I didn't cause, and replacement parts and dies are readily abailable and relatively cheap. And contrary to what I have read here, Lyman customer service has not been bad at all. (just lucky I guess)

But if you are casting for one caliber and shooting a small number of rounds, the Lee sizer that fits on your press would seem to be the easiest and most cost effective way to go. IMO

paul h
08-23-2012, 02:27 PM
If you're buing new and can swing it, get a star. If you find a deal on used lyman 450, pick it up to get you started.

I started pan lubing and using a lee sizer, then I traded into a lyman 450. I got to borrow my buddies star for a few months and have been spoiled ever since.

Love Life
08-23-2012, 04:16 PM
The Star is great. I had one, but sold it. It was to fast for my tastes.

I currently have a Lyman 45 filled with speed green (soft lube) and a Lyman 4500 with heater for my Thompson Blue Angel (hard lube).

I cast close to a bo'jillion boolits this winter so now they sit idle. They lube fast enough fo rme, lube well, and the sizing dies are relatively cheap.

captaint
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I only have one. A Star, and I'm not sellin it !!! Might get another one, though... enjoy Mike

paul h
08-23-2012, 05:53 PM

I currently have a Lyman 45 filled with speed green (soft lube) and a Lyman 4500 with heater for my Thompson Blue Angel (hard lube).

I cast close to a bo'jillion boolits this winter so now they sit idle. They lube fast enough fo rme, lube well, and the sizing dies are relatively cheap.

Reminds me of a saying :mrgreen:

No such thing as too fast, too much money, or a woman too beautiful.

I don't plan to get rid of my 450 when I get a star, but I'm at a point where I have little free time and getting as many bullets produced in my presure free time, the better.

fredj338
08-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Not even sure how that is possible.:groner:

km101
08-25-2012, 08:38 PM
No such thing as "Too fast, too rich, or too good lookin'"!!!!!!!

But I can see where one would not want to spend the time necessary to set pu, start up and shut down a Star with all the ppumps and air pressure, etc. Sometimes the simple life is better, and cheaper! :)

dromia
08-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Not even sure how that is possible.:groner:

I got rid of mine for a similar reason, the Star excells at sizing and lubing boolits at a rate no other lubesizer can compare with.

For my shooting needs however I cast lots of different boolits with lots of different diameters with different lubes in batches of no more than a couple of hundred boolits at a time.

Changing over the Star was just too much of a faff on for me and my needs are better served with half a dozen or so RCBS and Lyman sizers, I find them easier and quicker to change over and set up than the Star and I can have multiple lubes available. If I do need a bit of volume on occasion then I have a Meepos push through luber.

All this kit bought second hand over the years for less than a new Star.

However if I was shooting 500 plus rounds a week of ther same boolit same size same lube then I'd get the Star back out.

Horses for courses.

Horace
09-05-2012, 11:38 PM
If you will be shooting large numbers for a pistol only get the Star.Rifle and pistol ? Get an RCBS.

Horace

fredj338
09-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I got rid of mine for a similar reason, the Star excells at sizing and lubing boolits at a rate no other lubesizer can compare with.

For my shooting needs however I cast lots of different boolits with lots of different diameters with different lubes in batches of no more than a couple of hundred boolits at a time.
Horses for courses.

I am not sure setting up a RCBS is any faster than a Star IMO. Dies coe out & go in, top punch, same same. The trick to setting up a Star for diff caliber is using one or two top pounches & keeping measurements for the diff bullets. I cast & size maybe a dozen+ diff bullets in diff calibers. Keeping measurements for the top punch makes setup easy.

Bardo
09-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Where the RCBS/Lyman do well is when you have several Boolits that are the same diameter but, with different amounts of lube grooves and different spacing. But all I have is boolits with single lube grooves and all I own now is Stars. I find the die switch over takes less then a minute. And I dont have preset punches for each Boolit (that would work good). Before I put the die in -I just hold the boolit up to the die and line it up with the holes then see where I want the punch to bottom out in referece to the top of the die.

Double click image to enlarge

Bardo

Junior1942
09-07-2012, 06:24 PM
.....Currently, I have a Lee's push-thru sizer kit but I found out that the punch that came with it cannot fit into my Dillon 550B. So, I'd be forced to buy an el cheapo $28 Lee single stage press to make this work, together with extra shell holders.

Thanks!The Lee punch goes in the press ram in the shell holder slot, not in a shell holder.

MT Chambers
09-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I absolutely agree, Star sizer, WL red carnauba lube...the Star is much faster and more precise, lubes and sizes in one motion(not like the Lee) and doesn't require all the diff. nose punches(not like the Lyman/RCBS). I have 7 sizers set up and 3 are Stars and use the Stars even for small jobs whenever possible, I only use the other brands if I don't have the required Star die.

eng125ine
09-07-2012, 06:43 PM
I have found the vintage reloading equipment to be the best if you can still get your hands on it. It just seems to be better built than newer equipment. I just got into reloading and casting within the past year, and I was given a vintage Lyman #45 lubrisizer. I have several thousand boolits through it already with zero issues, not to mention how many thousands were through it before I got it. The nice part is that all modern sizing dies, top punches, etc. still fit my sizer. For lube I am using my home made recipe of 47% Beeswax, 47% Alox 350, and 6% Carnauba Wax. Flows through it without heat, with zero issues. I guess you can say I am a sucker for old equipment as I am also using a 1950's era Pacific Super C press for reloading as well. They just dont build stuff like that anymore. Just my .02

Casting Timmy
09-07-2012, 07:55 PM
I would definitely take a look at Lyman's master casting kit, for just a little more money you can get the luber with a mold, book, casting pot, ladle. If you sell off the other stuff you can get a cheaper brand new luber.

I think the star is nice, but there's some more cost in buying one.

Do what fits your budget best and also your shooting habits best.

lmcollins
09-08-2012, 09:00 PM
I have only been into rifle and handgun casting for a couple years. I started casting minies and maxies in the early 70's with a Lyman pot and dipper. I moved up to a Lee 20 pound bottom pour eventually. (Don't bother with the little 10 pounder.) It's is just easier to do in the basement. I smelt wheel weights with a dutch oven in the garage with the front and rear overhead doors open.

I think that the best deal is the Lyman 4500, since it is easiest to stick a heater on if you eventually want to go that way. The 4500 and its cartridge heater is the easiest to put heat to with its factory cartridge insert hole in its thick sole plate.

The difference between the Lyman and RCBS seems nill in most ways, and both use the same top punches, and dies. This makes them cheap, and easier to get.
Also, I like the way that the Lyman's lube crank works. You can use it from either hand, and because of the little ratch handle it is always "located" in a convenient position. I may be nuts on this, since I've never seen an RCBS but in pictures, and never had a chance to play with one.

I now am playing with Blue Angle, which needs a heater, and am glad I made the choice I did. I have more options: cheaper and easier. I used to use Lyman Alox 50/50 soft lube in it. I am now trying Blue Angle melted in a can with one tablespoon full of STP melted in it on a warm stove burner, mixed, and poured into the machine melted. It works good. I've got some White Label Carnuba Red to try next.

I might try cutting it with some old Dexron ATFII left over from topping off my last car, or I just bought a small bottle of Stihl HP Ultra Fully Synthetic 2 cycle oil. I paid $3.85 for a 6.4 ounce bottle. How many table spoons is that?

After all: this is my hobby. The more I putter - the happier I am trying to improve it.

After all: I'm too old, too poor, and too fat, for good desireable women. I'm probably better off with this stuff anyway. Right? At least thats what some people wink and tell me....

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and have fun.

canyon-ghost
09-09-2012, 12:58 AM
I use the Lyman 4500 and have now for more than ten years. It's just the first lubesizer that I got with the Lyman Master casting Kit. I use the pin type heater and White Label Carnuba Red. It works in 41 Magnum and 44 Special in both my Blackhawks. I've also loaded for several TC Contender calibers and shot them with good success.

Casting Timmy pretty much said it, do what your budget lets you. Sure, there's a lot of team spirit for any brand out there but, the decision is still your own. The Lyman 4500 isn't extremely beefy and doesn't like to be forced. I use a little Rem spray oil and mica to start bullets if the die is new and tight. But, other than that, I'd do it all again. I bought that kit twice, as a matter of fact.

f18hornet
12-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Since the Star is no longer being made, how accessible are different dies, etc. to purchase?

blikseme300
12-13-2015, 07:54 AM
Since the Star is no longer being made, how accessible are different dies, etc. to purchase?

The Star is still in production and dies are available from the manufacturer. There are members on this forum that make and sell dies and punches as well.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/

Pee Wee
12-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Lathsmith makes punch nuts with set screws once the punch is at the correct depth you tighten the set screw and it is always set to the proper depth.

toallmy
12-13-2015, 09:28 AM
I went from pan lubing with a cake cutter ,to a lee sizer , then to a magma star lube sizer . I only cast for pistols as of now 9mm,357, 45 acp I use the same top punch at the same slitting just push out the sizer dies and swap for another. I do not have all the bells and fancy stuff on it ,but I love it for the speed and no more mess ,my wife aprishated the no mess more than me. I have never had a lyman, rcbs or seaco to compare to it, but I was in the market for a lyman 45 at first but thay were going for half the price of my magma star .I am unshore about cast rifle but would be surprised if the star has a problem with them . I have not tried gas checks so no telling on that . I can lube thousands with out gitting sick of doing them ,I could not do that with my cake cutter but it worked as a starting set up could get a few hundred lubed and sized. It is all about the volume you expect. If it works for you start with it you can get another later.

Beagle333
12-13-2015, 09:57 AM
I pan lubed for a couple of years and then lucked into a nearly new Star. It's quite a leap in production, I'll tell ya!

and for lube, only two.... RandyRat's TAC-X and White Label Carnauba Red. Those do it all.

f18hornet
12-13-2015, 02:30 PM
The Star is still in production and dies are available from the manufacturer. There are members on this forum that make and sell dies and punches as well.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/

Two sources had told me they were no longer in business. That they are is great to know. Thank you.
One has a unit for to sell. It needs cleaning up well. He told me it is set up to do 38 Special. Has no heating plate.

dragon813gt
12-13-2015, 03:32 PM
I have two RCBS LAMIs that I use most often. Both have White Label Lubes in them. One has 2500+ and the other Carnauba Red. They are great for small batches since setup is a breeze.

Have a Star w/ all the bells and whistles. Use it for high volume pistol bullets. It's great if you're doing a lot of the same bullets. Swapping over is fairly easy but it takes time to get it adjusted properly. This one has Carnauba Red in it.

Recently bought a full compliment of NOE push through bushing sizers. I will use these for bullets I coat w/ BLL. I have a strong feeling this will become my main source of sizing. BLL has worked great in everything I've tried it in. And push through sizers are fast and concentric.

gwpercle
12-13-2015, 07:04 PM
It may not be the best but after getting disgusted with the mess I made pan lubing , about 1969 or 1970 I bought a Lyman 450.
Still using it and have replaced nothing on it. I cast and reload for many different handguns and rifles. Easy to change dies.
I think the Lyman is the best money I have ever spent on any reloading tool.
I would get another today if starting out. You can always up grade or buy another if your needs warrant it.
Gary

Le Loup Solitaire
12-14-2015, 01:55 AM
The best lubrisizer is the one that does what you want and need that you enjoy using. My first one was a SAECO with the black crinkle finish and it worked so well for me that eventually I bought a second and later model with green crinkle finish. Both worked well for me for many years. The sizing dies were expensive and so were the top punches. They were well built and no parts or seals ever wore out. I did have an adapter made so that I could use top punches made by Lyman and RCBS as those were more economical. I did like the fact that both units used solid stick lubes. LLS

Doggonekid
12-18-2015, 11:50 PM
I own a RCBS LAM II. This is my second one. Gave the first to my buddy. I really like it. It does everything I want t to do. Lyman and Saeco make good ones too. I would say from what I hear that Star is the best. If you got the $$$ buy a Star. If you are financially challenged the other three brands I mentioned would do you good.

sigep1764
12-20-2015, 02:58 AM
When i started out three years ago, I bought a Lyman 4500 new from Cabelas. Thought it was great. Its still a good machine, but it was just a little slow for shooting 1500-2000 9mm a month. I bought a star and use the lyman very sparingly. Took an hour or two to get the star up and running but once you understand it and have your dies, its simple to switch calibers. I get all my sizing and lubing done for the month in an hour or two. No air feed, just the standard star. Worth the money.

oteroman
12-23-2015, 02:58 PM
"I pan lubed for a couple of years and then lucked into a nearly new Star. It's quite a leap in production, I'll tell ya!

and for lube, only two.... RandyRat's TAC-X and White Label Carnauba Red. Those do it all."

Curious as I am NEW. What is the difference between the two performance wise??
(Very interested in getting a good lube for indoor 9mm shooting)