PDA

View Full Version : white corosion on boolits?

par0thead151
08-15-2009, 01:59 PM
i noticed that on the last batch i cast had some light speckling of the white corrosion that i see on my battery terminals on my auto. is this something i should worry about? is there a reason to not use boolits that have this powdery growth on them? i bought a bunch of cast bullets at a estate sale and they had the same white powder on them, although the ones from the estate sale had it all over the bullet, my cast ones only have it randomly on them. the boolits were left in a damp bag as i forgot to let them sit out to dry after H20 quenching them.
thanks

Nora
08-15-2009, 03:36 PM
What you are seeing is most likely from the water you are using to quench them with. Here we have hard water and if boiled darn near dry in a pan will leave a white powdery like substance in the bottom of the pan. If I use the straight tap water from the outside spigot mine almost take on a slightly galvanized look to them. If inside softened water is used and not dried well sometimes, as you say a slight white powder will form. With filtered water, nothing. As a "just to see" if it bothers you, try a different source of water. If not, I personally wouldn't worry about, unless you have reason to believe that the lead was contaminated by corrosion before it became boolits.

Nora

59sharps
08-15-2009, 03:37 PM
I beleave! it is call mold. they were probable kept were it was damp and dark. wipe it off and shoot them.

wallenba
08-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Put a few drops of your tap water in a clean warmed up (burner off) nonstick pan. When the water has evaporated you will see what is in your water, probably limestone scale if you live in the midwest.

theperfessor
08-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Could well be deposits from your water, or it could be the start of oxidation of the lead due to environmental conditions, or a combination of both. I'm w/59sharps, wipe them off, maybe with a little vinegar, and shoot 'em.

mooman76
08-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Post a picture if you can. You could have something contamiating the lead or like stated it could just be hard water deposits.

runfiverun
08-15-2009, 05:36 PM
i have left ingots outside that went white and hard grey. it could just be oxidation too, lead does that over time.

par0thead151
08-16-2009, 02:08 AM
Post a picture if you can. You could have something contamiating the lead or like stated it could just be hard water deposits.

dooh!
yes i do have hard water, and the water softener is going on the fritz every so often... that and i dont have it programmed properly.
im pretty sure it is not mold as it is fairly hard, whereas most molds i have come into contact with are soft and easily rubbed off.

Marlin Hunter
08-16-2009, 02:43 AM
dooh!
yes i do have hard water, and the water softener is going on the fritz every so often... that and i dont have it programmed properly.
im pretty sure it is not mold as it is fairly hard, whereas most molds i have come into contact with are soft and easily rubbed off.

I think water that comes from a softener has salt and you shouldn't quench your bullets in salt water. its not good for your barrel.

My guess is that the white powder is normal oxidation that is on old bullets. It occurs more with pure lead than with wheel weights. I had some 44 cal round balls for my 1860 pistol that were 20 years old and they had the white powder. I just put some Lee Liquid Alox on them and they are as good as new.

Here are some pictures of civil war bullets with white powder.

http://www.virginiarelics.com/civil_war_bullets.htm

Bad Water Bill
08-16-2009, 04:06 AM
Attention It is now illeagol to have lead with white deposits in your possesion. Seeing as how I have enjoyed this site I will volunteer to dispose of all of your hazardous and illeagol lead for free just senf it to me postage paid and I will get rid of it no questions asked.

44man
08-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Oxidation is a funny thing with boolits. I get a lot with pure lead balls and had to remelt a pile because the surface oxidation is hard. Yet I have pure ingots that are years old with nothing on them.
I never get it with other alloys unless there is a lot of pure lead in them and tin seems to prevent it too.
Lead balls in a plastic container get the white crap on them but those in a leather bag just get dark.
I now spray them with a rust preventative like Zip or Sheath, roll them around to coat and they stay shiny.

Shiloh
08-16-2009, 09:17 AM
I beleave! it is call mold. they were probable kept were it was damp and dark. wipe it off and shoot them.

A little triple anti-biotic ointment will clear it up. Acts as a nose lube enhancer as well.:-D:-D

Shiloh

badgeredd
08-16-2009, 09:42 AM
A little triple anti-biotic ointment will clear it up. Acts as a nose lube enhancer as well.:-D:-D

Shiloh

That way one can be sure that if they shoot someone they won't dies of an infection too>:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Edd