PDA

View Full Version : .41magnum

gumpy
08-14-2009, 08:56 PM
a friend lent me a mould that i have since given back. Think from memory it was a r.c.b.s. mould. In any case, the stated weight was 185 grain, and with wheel weights they threw to around 194 grains. A wadcutter design.
For the life of me, can't seem to find any load specs for this anywere. Most start at 200 grains.
He was using 6grains of unique, unknown velocity. Just out of laziness, tonight I put together a few with a lee dipper at 6.7grains of unique. Most references at 200 grains show a start of around 8grains of unique. Anybody ever see load spec sheets for this lead 185 grain bullet? Or suggestions using unique?
I am going to run these I loaded threw a chrony, to see eventually getting around 1000fps.
ron

AZ-Stew
08-14-2009, 10:18 PM
First, I think you have a safe load. That's the important part.

Second, work on accuracy. Vary your load until you get what you want. The chronograph will help keep you out of trouble. No need to run this boolit over 1,000fps. You'll likely find better accuracy between 700 and 900 fps.

The rest doesn't matter much.

Regards,

Stew

runfiverun
08-15-2009, 10:29 AM
use the 200 gr data.
the target will tell you when to stop. or your wrist.

Rocky Raab
08-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Yup. I'd start with your 6.7 load, which is quite safe. Then I'd work DOWN until groups snugged right up. As suggested, that will probably be in the 750 to 900 fps range, likely toward the lower end. Wadcutters of any flavor are best at low speeds, and will begin to tumble at 50 yards or so, regardless of launch speed.

HWooldridge
08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I've shot a 4" M57 S&W for about 30 years and it is one of my favorite carry guns in the field. I was given some swaged 185 gr wadcutters many moons ago and shot 6.5 gr of WW231 under them. Gave fine accuracy and no leading. Our old deer lease had oodles of jack rabbits and this load would take them out to 100 yds if I gave a little front sight. I'm not sure if the pills tumbled at that distance but the bunnies didn't know either way.