PDA

View Full Version : Bullet shape

claybird
08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
My last post on bullet base (flat or beveled) received many answers and a lot of good info.
Now my question is ,the other end of the cast bullet,the nose. Semi-wadcutter ,round nose or round nose flat point. Are there any advantages to one over the other of these three. Other than the Swc punching neater holes in targets.
Intended use is for just plain old shooting bullets. :Fire:

jdgabbard
08-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Every boolit has a application. For an example, the 358311 is know as one of the more accurate boolits available for the .38/.357mag. Does that mean it is going to be a stellar performer on game? Probably not. Now you take a keith style design, and all of a sudden you have a pretty accurate boolit, that cuts holes through meat for stopping blows. Or you can go with the RNFP for a mix of the two qualities. Then you can get into the designs similar to the Ranch Dog line.

Since you mostly doing target practice, maybe you should decide whether you want nice neat holes, or if you'd like the best accuracy you can get. And remember there is more to it than just what kind of point and base. Some boolit designs you'd think would be good have proven to be bad shooters in MANY peoples guns, then every once in a while someone will tell you it shot excellent for them.

fredj338
08-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Full WC can get unstable @ longer ranges (past 50yds). RN, SWC, FP, really only matters how they shoot in your guns. I seem to get better ccuracy in 9mm w/ a LTC & LSWC are a staple of any magnum shooter, but I also like the few LFP I do shoot. So really, unless hunting, no real preference for punching paper.

bigboredad
08-14-2009, 07:03 PM
I like the rnfp in a revolver they chamber easier cut decent holes in paper and have a good slap on everything they hit and I think they look better if looks are important

crabo
08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Here's a good discussion that had been going on

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=59089

1Shirt
08-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Think it is important to know what your objective is regarding type of blt nose. For hunting, I want the biggest, flattest nose, or HP, or combination of both. For target work, I want what shoots most accurately and don't care what the configuration of the projectile might be. For plinking, and min of tin can shooting,
"Frankly Scarlet---I don't &#@*&%. Just my opinion!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Le Loup Solitaire
08-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi, Good question! Generally the roundnose is the usual shape for smacking things; it feeds well and has a good aerodynamic form. If used for target it punches ragged holes in paper and is hard to score in target situations where a point can win or lose a match. A pointy bullet has the best airflow around the nose and penetrates best. Its a bad choice for tubular magazines where the point rests against the primer of the round in front of it. The semiwadcutter is a compromise between the RN and the WC. It is better for hunting because of the flat meplat on the front delivering more energy and it still can cut sharp holes,with its shoulder if used for target work. Some users engaged in LEO work also favor it for stopping ability in serious social encounters. Last, but not necessarily least is the full wadcutter(WC) which usually has a flat face-sometimes with a button in the middle. Its primary function is target work where it will cut the neatest holes. But it has the worst aerodynamic shape possible. It goes crazy in any kind of wind and skids around and gets unstable over longer ranges. Some users who like the idea of the flat face imparting the most smacking energy like to push them hard, but this doesn't make up too much for the aerodynamic shortcomings. Unless ther is a definite need that you have to meet that depends on the shape of the bullet, you should choose the shape that feeds well if that is a guiding factor and/or the one that performs the most accurately for your gun and you. Good shooting. LLS

montana_charlie
08-14-2009, 08:51 PM
I picked up a chunk of 'bullet nose' information about a week ago when I was reading an online book. I think the title was American Small Arms, and it was written 60 or more years ago.

Anyway, among a bunch of other subjects, the author started talking about bullet moulds...and got into the Lyman (Ideal) offerings. I think he had a blurb on every mould they ever made, and there was one which caught me by surprise.

Apparently, Lyman once sold a 'nose mould'. Yep, it was just used to make noses.
Here is a 'clip' from the book, which has all of the information on that particular mould.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=1194

CM

giz189
08-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I picked up a chunk of 'bullet nose' information about a week ago when I was reading an online book. I think the title was American Small Arms, and it was written 60 or more years ago.

Anyway, among a bunch of other subjects, the author started talking about bullet moulds...and got into the Lyman (Ideal) offerings. I think he had a blurb on every mould they ever made, and there was one which caught me by surprise.

Apparently, Lyman once sold a 'nose mould'. Yep, it was just used to make noses.
Here is a 'clip' from the book, which has all of the information on that particular mould.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=1194

CM Veral Smith at LBT offers a "soft point" bullet mould currently. From what I have read about it, it makes the nose of the bullet only and you place that part in th mould you are going to use and pour the harder base behind it. Very similar to what BruceB does with his soft points that he makes.:coffee: