PDA

View Full Version : Lee 310 with Liq Alox lube

O.S.O.K.
08-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I've got a Lee 2-cav 310 rnfp mold on the way from midway. I've used Lee's liquid alox with success in several applications.

Was wondering if anyone here has used it with this particular bullet over a 21 grains of H110 in a Marlin microgroove?

I'm going to cast them from ww with some tin added.

This is all jestergrin's fault as he put me on to these over on the Marlin owner's forum....

:brokenima

6pt-sika
08-14-2009, 01:01 AM
I have a 6 cavity of the same mold !

Have used it in the 444 but not the 44 MAG !

Also lubed mine in my Lyman 4500 with Thompson's Blue Angel .

Worked great for me but that does you no good ! And oh yeah they were shot in an early Marlin 444 with the slow twist Micro Groove barrel !

O.S.O.K.
08-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Hey hows it going? [smilie=s: Interesting how many of the same folks you see among the various related forums :)

I read up on the mold here too - and saw that its a pip. I'm just curious about the lube with it at the 1800-1900 fps speeds - figure there's no reason it wouldn't work good but, you never know... :coffee:

Dogg
08-14-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm interested in the answer to this question also. Just got my Lee 310gr mold, and will admit to being less than x-cited when it comes to lubing. Was wondering if coating the boolit several times would get enough lube on it to work at some of the warmer loadings!?

JesterGrin_1
08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
O.S.O.K Welcome to another MADD HOUSE lol.

But sorry I have never used the Alox on anything except the Ranch Dog design Boolit. But you will not loose anything if you try it. As they say if you do not try you do not know. :)

You can get some very good lube from Lars45's LsStuff at the bottom of the page. Or look up Felix Lube if you wish to make your own.

If I can help just give me a shout. :) Another Great source for the .44 Mag even though he hates the Marlin lol. Is 44Man here on the forum. He is a wealth of info for the .44.

On another note slug your bore to see what size BOOLIT you will need. If you need it larger than the mold will cast look up Leementing here on the forum. Have fun with the thumper lol.

O.S.O.K.
08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks jester :D I'll give you a ring if I run into trouble for sure.

I figure the liq alox will work just fine - its worked great on everything else but I keep thinking that I'm going to run into something that won't like it...

My Lyman .310 and .314" gc, 200 grainers for 30 caliber and Lee Enfields do very well with this lube at about 2000 fps from those rifles. But that's at a higher pressure (around 40 psi)...

Freightman
08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Just came from the range was shooting the .310gr Lee boolit in my Veterlli at 1500fps + - lubed with LLA, just lube them size them and lube again then let sit two weeks to cure and i have never had any lead in ether of my Veterlli's. Shoot I am to lazy to lube any other way and I never have had a problem and I shot LLA in my Hakim at 2200 FPS no leading.
Do it you will like it, make sure that the boolit is bigger than the bore or it will lead.

jhrosier
08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
O.S.O.K.,
I have used that boolit, lubed with LLA, in a Vetterli and it worked fine.
I used another Lee boolit with LLA in my microgroove Marlin .44 Mag and it also worked just fine.

I'm just fixin' to cast up some of the 310 grainers in the next week or so for the Marlin and a couple of pistolas and expect that they will be OK. I will size the boolits for the Marlin to .430 to make sure that they seal the bore.

I would say go for it.

Jack

O.S.O.K.
08-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Well, there you go.

Thanks guys. I will go for it. :)

Now, to decide what other bullet I will cast along with this one (I always cast with two molds....) :drinks: