PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Felix Lube???

geargnasher
08-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Ok, grill me. Felix? Anyone? Ever try to make a tumble lube by thinning a good batch of FWFL to use like LLA?

If nobody has, I'm gonna try it.

Question is, what would be the best thinner?

Gear

mroliver77
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
heat
J

Leftoverdj
08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
mroliver knows

Heat your bullets to "too hot to hold, not hot enough to burn on touch", throw in a lump of Felix, and tumble.

geargnasher
08-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Alright, I'll try that. I just got my first tumble-lube Lee mould for my .45s and was thinking (after working a lot with Felix Lube lately and really liking it) maybe there's a way to get it on those boolits in a hurry and virtually mess-free like LLA, but wouldn't stink/smoke like LLA.

I've already tried thinning 50/50 with mineral spirits tonight (had to heat it quite a bit and shake for 10 minutes to get it to dissolve!) and tumbled about a dozen .38 boolits with it, we'll see what it turns out like tomorrow. If it dries back to normal, I'll load and shoot 'em in a known good load/gun combo.

I was looking for something easier than heating the boolits (SWMBO controls the only conventional oven we own), but if it works, it works!

Thanks,

Gear

runfiverun
08-14-2009, 12:48 AM
microwave will melt felix lube as will a cheap [walmart] hotplate which can be used as a mold warmer also.

geargnasher
08-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Ok, reporting back on the lfwfl: The mineral spirits did evaporate in about a day leaving the fwfl behind in pretty much the original condition. The coating looks to be about as thick as a light coat of lla, but is much softer and wipes right off (But you guys knew this would happen).

Tried warming a line of boolits gently with a propane torch, then threw them in a bag with a lump of lube and voila, similar light coating, but much easier.

Being a fan of full lube grooves I'm not too sure it will work this thin, but I'm gonna load 10 tomorrow and try.

Gear

geargnasher
08-31-2009, 01:07 AM
FWIW, the melted lube worked great, and the solvent-applied boolits (20) allowed a little bit of trailing-edge-of-rifling leading of my .357. I cleaned and borelighed between strings. This load never leaded before, but I think HS6 is a bit fast for 13 bhn ww aircooled boolits and the leading was due to wider-than-land engraving (skidding) which adequate amounts of lube had been able to prevent.

Gear