PDA

View Full Version : Is PaperPatching only for muzzle loaders and black powder?

mac0083
08-13-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't know what PaperPatching is, but i'm curious. Thanks

felix
08-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Installing a paper jacket, rather than a copper one. ... felix

mac0083
08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Could I for instance, Paper patch a 9mm centerfire for my auto feeder? And if so... why don't I hear about more people doing it? Thanks

docone31
08-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I do not know about autoloaders. There is too much activity in the chambering.
I do know, paper patching works VERY well in my bolt guns. I have done a full magazine of patched loads with no issues. The patched load is not restricted to single shots.
Essentially, a paper patch replaces the copper jacket with limits. It is harder in some regards, and less stable in other regards.
I get better groupings with paper vs., copper of identical weight bullets of identical loads.
No leading, clean bores, control of diameter, the ability to use wheel weight, zinc, or other lead source.
It recquires the shooter to experiment, research, and actually make the boolittt rather than just casting, sizeing, and loading.
It is all I use now.

303Guy
08-14-2009, 07:14 AM
I would suggest that paper patching for an auto-loader would be too 'labour intensive' to suite high volume rapid fire type shooting done with a pistol. For a rifle, twenty rounds could last all week-end in the field or represent four groups at a range. In a pistol, that would be just a warm-up.

pdawg_shooter
08-14-2009, 08:03 AM
I tried patching for my handguns years ago, and yes it does work. The thing is there is no advantage to it. Bare lubed bullets work just as well as patched at handgun velocities. That said, I never run a bare bullet through any of my rifles any more. I dont shot black powder, but with smokeless I can get jacketed performance with paper patching.

Buckshot
08-15-2009, 02:06 AM
............I takes about as long to properly patch a boolit as it does to properly cast one. And I'm talking using a SC mould and attempting to produce a match grade boolit. That's assuming all your patches are cut and ready to wrap :-)

In the heyday of the paper patched boolit, say the late 1860's to the advent of smokless powder in the mid 1880's, all the major militaries of the world issueing black powder cartridges used PP'd ammo. Well, the U.S. military didn't but compared to most others, our armed forces weren't much to speak of quantity wise :-) In the same vein, not a single one (I recall hearing about or seeing) ever used patched pistol ammunition.

...............Buckshot

rhead
08-15-2009, 05:56 AM
I have shot paper patched in my revolvers. It shot fine but no better than the bare lead did. I load one load for the rifle and another for the revolver but I do know how they will preform if I need to swap them around.

1874Sharps
08-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Mac0083,

I have successfully shot paper patch bullets in my M1 Garand which is an autoloader. They shoot quite well and consistently. However, for revolver or auto pistol I agree with the other posters that there is little merit in loading PP, as a conventional cast bullet will give very satisfactory results.

303Guy
08-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't know what PaperPatching is, ...Good question!
Installing a paper jacket, rather than a copper one.But is it that?
How about a 'lubricating paper envelope'?:roll: