PDA

View Full Version : 462 420 pb group buy for 45/70

crabo
08-13-2009, 12:51 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=30322

Does anyone have a good starting load for this boolit to be used in a guide gun? I have never loaded 45/70 before and would like some suggestions on powder and loads.

I also need some brass. Is anyone manufacturer holding up better than the others? I don't see how I could go wrong with Starline.

I also need some dies........ any better than others for the lever gun?

One last question.. what size sizing die should I get for the Marlin?
Thanks,

pipehand
08-14-2009, 10:35 PM
My most used recipe for that bullet in my guide gun is size the boolit to .4605", lubed with homemade (similar to FWFL) and 25.3 grains of Alliant 2400, in starline cases and whatever standard large rifle primers i have in the most quantity. That load chronographs at 1330fps from my gun. Hope this was helpful.

EDK
08-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Availability on dies is the deciding factor. I have standard RCBS, but would prefer their "cowboy dies" that are designed for lead boolits. LYMANS would be a good choice since the set includes a M-die for hassle free case neck expansion/boolit seating.

My brass came from a guy on gunbroker, "nuts4bolts." VERY clean brass, sturdy packaging in flat rate boxes. prompt correspondence and shipping. Again, availability is a big factor.

Without slugging the barrel, I'd suggest .460 or .461. A good rule of thumb for any MARLIN is .002 or .003 ABOVE the "standard sizing diameter" for caliber AND cast hard.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck: