PDA

View Full Version : Need help with RCBS lube sizer

walker77
08-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Im new to casting. Im having problem with my new sizer. Im using Lyman sizing dies and top punch. I started out trying to size 44 mag. But the lube is getting all over the nose. Ive tried to adjust it but it doesnt seem to go high enough to stop it on the lube grooves. What am i doing wrong? Thanks!

GP100man
08-12-2009, 11:48 PM
cut down on the pressure first. if the boolit is a little small & not tite in the die it`ll squirt by always & a soft touch on the pressure screw is a must.
if ya got the stop adjusted all the way up you can take the die out & plug the top row of holes , then adjust down .
if ya heating the lube cool it down a little , soft lube being heated will compound the problem.
last of all do you have the correct die ????

Gunslinger
08-13-2009, 03:13 AM
I ran into the exact same problem not long ago... lube all over the boolits no matter how high I adjusted the die. I switched to RCBS dies.... and now the only place my boolits have lube is where it's supposed to be!

softpoint
08-13-2009, 08:12 AM
See if the depth rod locking nut is on the very bottom of is on the top of the threaded part of the casting. Mine came with the nut on the bottom, and if you take the rod out and put the locknut on top, you can get a little more height adjustment out of it.
I have RCBS sizer, but all of my sizer dies are Lyman, I haven't run into any situation where they weren't compatible.:drinks:

Calamity Jake
08-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Yap just plug the top row of holes with #4 shot then it is easy to adjust for any boolit.

epj
08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Sounds to me like the bullet is going too far down in the die. Try adjusting so that the bullet only goes down far enough to line up the lube groove with the top holes in the die. Use only enough heat and/or pressure to get lube in the groove.

captain-03
08-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Sounds to me like the bullet is going too far down in the die. Try adjusting so that the bullet only goes down far enough to line up the lube groove with the top holes in the die. Use only enough heat and/or pressure to get lube in the groove.

+1 -- do an adjustment and back off the pressure .. should give you some good results! I use the Lyman sizers most the time (cheaper than RCBS) and they work well in the RCBS.

carpetman
08-13-2009, 12:16 PM
When you push the bullet down, hold firm pressure on the handle. Not talking breaking and bending thing pressure---just firm. Then when you add lube-- while holding that firm pressure-brylcreem it---"just a dab will do you." Talking about just barely touching the lube feed--it may be that you don't even need to touch it every bullet--you may be able to lube a few in between that just barely touching the lube feed. I have had both RCBS and Lyman and have interchanged the dies on both. Both seem to require this same care when operating. The RCBS seems to hold pressure a little better so you may get more bullets in between touching the lube pressure. The old style RCBS and the Lymans work with a ratchet for applying lube pressure. The newer RCBS uses a toggle handle. I much prefer the ratchet. Converting a new style to ratchet feed is not a just change the part deal. The new bolt must be modified to have a hex on the top for the ratchet to fit. My gunsmith/machinist friend did mine---it could be crudely done with hacksaw and file but probably better to have a shop do it--really fairly simple.

Guesser
08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I have both Lyman and RCBS lubrisizers and many dies of both names and I use them interchangably and it does take modified operating techniques depending on die size, type of lube, temp etc. Its never the same twice, exactly.

Echo
08-13-2009, 01:23 PM
+1 for Carpetman - I have a couple of RCBS/LAM machines, and once adjusted, no drama. Use just enough pressure to inject the lube (you will learn how much), adjust the widget on the bottom for depth of stroke, and if using heat (unnecessary for the 50/50 that I use), use just enough so that the lube flows in a plastic state, and not a liquid state (that would be a bad thing).

walker77
08-13-2009, 06:39 PM
epj, isnt what you said pretty much what i stated my original problem was??? I already knew it was going down too deep, i was wondering why. But thanks to softpoint. Why i didnt realize that to begin with, i dont know. But that solved the problem. Musta been on too many pain killers last night :/

Alchemist
09-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I ran into the exact same problem not long ago... lube all over the boolits no matter how high I adjusted the die. I switched to RCBS dies.... and now the only place my boolits have lube is where it's supposed to be!

My RCBS lubesizer also prefers RCBS dies. If I try to use Lymans, I usually get a big gob of lube under the boolit base. Doesn't do it with RCBS dies.

leadman
09-20-2009, 11:15 PM
I took the lock nut off the depth adjustment on both my RCBS machines cuz some of the smaller boolits would go in to far. The Lee Makarov boolit is one offender.