PDA

View Full Version : mold release when remelting hard lube

yammerschooner
08-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I am remelting some hard lube into sticks to use in my sizer. I used pvc as a mold for the lube, but as the lube has cooled it is sticking to the sides of the pvc to the point where it won't be pushed out. Is there something I should be spraying into the pvc before pouring in the liquid lube so that the stick will release after it hardens?

Thanks.

BRIARPATCH
08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Well, I haven't tried it myself, but since it works in bullet molds, ya might try Kroil.

canuck4570
08-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Try putting your pipe in very hot water it should create a soft coating on top of the stick and the pvc pipe and you should be able to slide it out.....

high standard 40
08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I would think the Kroil would not be so good an idea. That stuff has a well deserved reputation to creep. Having it in my lube would not be something I would want. I used the hot water method on mine. It's works but was not easy. I'd love to know of a better way also.

wallenba
08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Microwave?

canuck4570
08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
my friend saw the pvc pipe in 2 and used bracelet clamp (hope I using the correct word) for it and holds the pipe together with these
poor the lube in after he slackens the bracelet clamp then separate the 2 half with a sharpened screw driver and there you go
forgot to mention the pipe is 7 inches long and the last inche the is a wide grove to insert the screw drive of similar piece of steel to pry the tube half apart....
be certain to saw the pipe in the middle otherwise you will have a hard time taking the part the is more circular that the other one

high standard 40
08-12-2009, 10:19 PM
my friend saw the pvc pipe in 2 and used bracelet clamp (hope I using the correct word) for it and holds the pipe together with these
poor the lube in after he slackens the bracelet clamp then separate the 2 half with a sharpened screw driver and there you go

Why didn't I think of that.[smilie=b:

mooman76
08-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Try spraying it with something like pam before you pour the wax. You could try putting it in the freezer for awhile to loosen it.

Echo
08-13-2009, 01:49 AM
I would try rolling the PVC-encased lube on a hard surface, putting some pressure on it. That might compress the lube enough for it to loosen. Just brain-stormin'...

runfiverun
08-13-2009, 05:27 AM
put it in the freezer

Rockchucker
08-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Quick question, If you're making your own lube or remelting some old lube and pouring it into a PVC pipe how do you get the center hole in it so it'll fit into the lube sizer?

captaint
08-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Yammer - you might try using a paper towel tube, just peel 'er off. enjoy Mike

canuck4570
08-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Quick question, If you're making your own lube or remelting some old lube and pouring it into a PVC pipe how do you get the center hole in it so it'll fit into the lube sizer?

the center dowel has to be 1/4 inche at the bottom and 11/32 at one end
it looks like a funel
you jus tap on it from the small end and it go out with no problem
this operation is done before taking the tube apart....

Rockchucker
08-13-2009, 08:30 AM
I take it the dowel is made of wood and sanded to the right dimensions, and you hold it in place until the lube hardens.

canuck4570
08-13-2009, 08:36 AM
the pvc tube is put upright on a piece of wood that is countersink to hold the pipe
this piece of wood his drilled in the middle of this countersink to hold this pin
for the top buy a pvc end cap and drill it for the other end of the dowel
so after pouring the lube put the pvc cap on to center it and let is cool....

canuck4570
08-13-2009, 08:42 AM
I take it the dowel is made of wood and sanded to the right dimensions, and you hold it in place until the lube hardens.
yes but be certain that it is very smooth and made of hard wood
he use delrin a hard plastic

Rockchucker
08-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Where there is a will there is a way huh. Sounds like some pretty cool engineering involved here. Thanks for explaining it to me, although I haven't made any lube that day may come soon.

canuck4570
08-13-2009, 08:47 AM
happy to help, has I have been help here on this site....

yammerschooner
08-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks folks. Since I already have some stuck in a tube, I will go chuck it into the freezer for a few hours and try pushing it out.

cajun shooter
08-13-2009, 09:19 AM
I make lube using PVC for the mold. Spray the inside surface with a cheap store brand cooking spray. My wife didn't like me using the Pam with olive oil. When hard the lube stick will slide out with ease.

08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
i buy the 2x6 sticks of lube and melt them to make my 1' sticks for my star sizer. i use 1' pvc with a pvc cap on one end . i stick it in a hole in a 2x to stand up right. pour the melted lube in. wait till it is cool or over night. i take all the pipes and put them in a zip lock bag, put them in the freezer over night. the lube almost falls out. if you are buying lube from some place that sales the 2x6 sticks, it is a lot cheeper than the 1' sticks.

canuck4570
08-13-2009, 09:39 AM
i buy the 2x6 sticks of lube and melt them to make my 1' sticks for my star sizer. i use 1' pvc with a pvc cap on one end . i stick it in a hole in a 2x to stand up right. pour the melted lube in. wait till it is cool or over night. i take all the pipes and put them in a zip lock bag, put them in the freezer over night. the lube almost falls out. if you are buying lube from some place that sales the 2x6 sticks, it is a lot cheeper than the 1' sticks.
I will try it looks much simpler than mine
does the center pine fall has easy, Star sizer don't have a center pin I think, have you tried it with a center pin
Canuck

fredj338
08-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks folks. Since I already have some stuck in a tube, I will go chuck it into the freezer for a few hours and try pushing it out.

I put mine in the freezer as well. A screwdriver blade should pop it out. Mould release works too. The more times you cast a lube stick, the easier it seems to go.

BABore
08-13-2009, 10:30 AM
I just melt the lube in a pan and pour it into my sizer. I then use the supplied handle to force it out into really small rings that fit onto my boolits.:-D

yammerschooner
08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
put it in the freezer

This works like a champ! Thanks.

yammerschooner
08-13-2009, 10:44 AM
I just melt the lube in a pan and pour it into my sizer. I then use the supplied handle to force it out into really small rings that fit onto my boolits.:-D

Unfortunately, with my big sizer this would cause a huge mess and a lot of down time. It works great with my Star though, as long as I don't put too much in.

yammerschooner
08-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Luckily, my luber takes 2x6 sticks. Part of the reason I will probably have to recast all of the lube I have is that the sticks I am working with are 1 5/8. The extra air space is putting too much air in the lube and it is coming out white and puffy, even if I have the temperature turned down to where lube will barely flow. Putting a new gasket on the plunger solved the problem of lube coming out the top of the sizer, but created the too much air problem.

GabbyM
08-13-2009, 10:51 AM
2nd that. Melt and pour straight into the luber.
I save up small glass jars. Make my lube in a cheap slow cooker then ladle X amount of lube into the jars. Couple minutes in the micro wave and they are ready to poor. Very easy in the Lyman and RCBS type lube reservoirs. Can make a mess in a Star if you fill above the vent hole. Learned the hard way not to do that. Lube pours fine right from the jar. No need for a funnel or any such accessories. Paper towel under it just in case.

08-13-2009, 11:15 AM
years ago in a far far away place i had a lyman luber. my first try at making lube was before i knew of hard lube. mine was hard and used a light bulb to make it work. i used an alum. 3/8'" rod in the center if my pipe. after it cooled i would heat the end of the rod and pull it out. the rod was about 2" longer than the stick of lube.

blackthorn
08-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Try dipping/rinsing the PVC mould pipes in water to which some dish detergent has been added (dishwater). Stand the PVC up in hloes sunk into (but not through) a 2x4, 2x6, etc. The holes in the wood should have a short center hole the size of the center-rod to aid in holding it upright and straight. Use an end cap with a center hole (as above). The center rod can be smooth wood, aluminum, stainless steel etc. Remove the center rod before you push out the stick. It will help if you have a flat washer the same diameter as the inside of the PVC to push on.