PDA

View Full Version : New gun

odis
08-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Wellllll I'm sitting here with a brand spanking new BFR just shipped from the Precision center. I had to go back to an earlier thread I posted about ordering it 5/19 not to bad. cylinder throats seem to be uniform .452 I bet its the only one in existance that has 45 Long Colt engraved on the frame. Haven't checked the gap on the cylinder with a gauge but by eyeball looks tight. Trigger is extremely smooth and light. Grips are crap but I'll figure something out eventually. All in all a real smiler and I can't wait to shoot it but first I have to go to work. I should have some performance updates later this week. I'm going to have to figure out posting pictures one of these days. odis

44man
08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Wellllll I'm sitting here with a brand spanking new BFR just shipped from the Precision center. I had to go back to an earlier thread I posted about ordering it 5/19 not to bad. cylinder throats seem to be uniform .452 I bet its the only one in existance that has 45 Long Colt engraved on the frame. Haven't checked the gap on the cylinder with a gauge but by eyeball looks tight. Trigger is extremely smooth and light. Grips are crap but I'll figure something out eventually. All in all a real smiler and I can't wait to shoot it but first I have to go to work. I should have some performance updates later this week. I'm going to have to figure out posting pictures one of these days. odis
Sounds great. With a .45, you can get carried away with grips for beauty but you would learn to love the factory stuff with guns like the .475! :mrgreen:

odis
08-13-2009, 03:49 AM
Sounds great. With a .45, you can get carried away with grips for beauty but you would learn to love the factory stuff with guns like the .475! :mrgreen:Not even thinking pretty, more like the Hogue mono grips that I have on my Blackhawk.

44man
08-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Not even thinking pretty, more like the Hogue mono grips that I have on my Blackhawk.
It all depends on how they feel to you. Hands are different.
I have large hands and I still do not like thick grips so it is just a personal preference.
I can't wait to see how it shoots for you so keep us posted.

shooting on a shoestring
08-13-2009, 07:02 PM
What barrel lenght did ya get?

Is the .45Colt is a shorter cylinder than the 45-70?

Catshooter
08-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Pics, man, what are you thinking? Pics. Don't make me say it again. :)

Cat

odis
08-14-2009, 08:30 AM
What barrel lenght did ya get?

Is the .45Colt is a shorter cylinder than the 45-70?

The barrel is 6.5 in. from forcing cone to crown. The cylinder is a just a little longer than a blackhawk cylinder. Although it is a heavy gun it is still a handy holster gun. Magnum Research makes a series of short cylinder guns to compliment their long cylinder guns their famous for. Can't wait to shoot it.

odis
08-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Pics, man, what are you thinking? Pics. Don't make me say it again. :)

Cat

Oh I know, I have to get a computer geek from work to come by one of these days to show me how to do it. I don't know if you have ever looked at a BFR close up but it almost has an industrial look to it. Its really starting to grow on me and if it shoots as good as it should I don't what I'll do with my TC or Redhawk in .44 except wipe the dust off them.

dubber123
08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_2539.jpg A set of home-brew wood grips on a BFR. This one is a .475, and is quite comfy compared to my F/A. This is my brothers gun, I did the whittling. The factory grips are comfy, and fill in behind the trigger, but make they me queasy looking at them.

peter nap
08-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Not even thinking pretty, more like the Hogue mono grips that I have on my Blackhawk.

Congratulations!
I wouldn't trade my 45C BFR for anything.

Good luck with Hogue. I am a little put out with them. The BFR Frame is supposed to be the same as the Super Blackhawk. It isn't. I got a set of Monogrips and they didn't fit. Called Hogue "Oh I thought I told you they need some modification with a Dremil'...

I never did get them to fit right. I'm going to make a set when I get time.

That aside...you have a hell of a gun!

Nazgul
08-15-2009, 09:23 AM
I like my 454 BFR. Very nice for the money.

Don

odis
08-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Well after a day and a half of calling mother nature every thing from a raging hormonal "witch" to Diane Feinsteins little sister she finally relented and I was able to shoot the gun. I shot a hundred rounds using LBT 265 gr. gas check with 2400 and 310 gr. plain base LBT LFN from Lead Heads using IMR 4227 and Lil' Gun, and a bunch with Unique. All shot very well but 22 grs. of Lil Gun with WLP in Starline cases shot into one hole at 25 yds. I don't know if I was just lucky on that one five shot string but after that I really dirtied up the gun with the Unique loads off hand at 50 yards at my steel gong and kept it ringing till the gun was too hot to touch. All in all this has turned out to be a buy for me and can hardly wait to do some more load work with different components. Am thinking of trying the 340 gr. JDJ bullet that Penn bullets sells with some H110 or 296 but I need to find some mag primers.

Frank
08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Nice going. Glad you're enjoying your BFR. Don't shoot too many. Go back and try your Lil gun load again at 50 yds. 44man's getting one hole out his .45 Vaquero, but not sure how he aggs. Maybe you can do better, but he uses a rest and shoots for accuracy. Make every shot count. I'm sure you know.

odis
08-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Nice going. Glad you're enjoying your BFR. Don't shoot too many. Go back and try your Lil gun load again at 50 yds. 44man's getting one hole out his .45 Vaquero, but not sure how he aggs. Maybe you can do better, but he uses a rest and shoots for accuracy. Make every shot count. I'm sure you know.
I tested all my different loads from a rest and sighted it in. I have since reloaded another 100 rounds of the aforementioned Lil' Gun load and plan on testing it for accuracy out to 100 yds. I've never shot a FA or a custom made by one of the great smiths that I read about but I'm guessing that my BFR can shoot with any of them and then some. I know that the money saved will buy me a hell of a lot of powder bullets primers and a few litres of single barrel sour mash whiskey.

GL49
08-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Dubber, how long did it take you to make the grips? How did you do it? Just start to whittle? I'd like to make a set, but don't really know where to start.