PDA

View Full Version : Novice Question about gas checks and .38spl

diehard
08-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I recently got a used LEE Single cavity mold for the .38/357(C358-158-SWC). It throws out a perfect 158 gr SWC with a solid base. After lubing, I intend to load them with 4.5 grains of Unique for about 908fps (if I remember the loadbook correctly). My question is: is there a point were bullets of this type would need a gas check? I've read that rifle bullets under about 1,400fps rule don't need one...does this apply to handgun loads too?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

KYCaster
08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't think you'll ever NEED a GC for any hand gun cartridge.

Some people prefer to use them, but I think you can load to the potential of hand gun without them.

Jerry

Treeman
08-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I tend to agree with Kycaster- I find it possible to run full charge magnum loads with plainbase boolits and little leading issues. .38 specials don't need gas checks ever IMO. BTW- the book is exceedingly optimistic. 4.5grains of Unique and 158/160 makes around 800fps out of a 4nch barrel

diehard
08-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

EDK
08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Go to lasc.us and look at Glenn Fryxell's articles...a lot of good data and history both. Check your load book...some of my LYMAN books from the '60s and '70s have considerably hotter loads than are now recommended. Thankfully I only briefly owned a 38 special and didn't shoot it much.

Glenn is a member here and THE MAN on cast boolits. I've heard a little about a forthcoming book....I want TWO AUTOGRAPHED COPIES. He is up on the top of my list of people I want to meet, with John Taffin and Mike Venturino.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Freebore
08-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Within standard .38 Special pressure ranges, I wouldn't bother with a gas check boolit, but it doesn't hurt anything either. I'll say a standard flat base is good for the .38 Special ctg..

Bret4207
08-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Check the Classics and Stickys section-

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48857

diehard
08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you all for your information, and for your references. I've been reading all morning, and now have a whole lot to think about. I will continue to read more on this subject. I appreciate your contributions to my education.

Tim357
08-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I did meet Mike Venturino last month whilst visiting family in God's country. I was perusing the goodies at Shiloh Sharps plant in Big Timber when he walked in. Helluva nice guy, took a few minutes to shoot the breeze. Also toured the C. Sharps Arms factory. Damfine nice bunch of folks up there...Tim sends

Go to lasc.us and look at Glenn Fryxell's articles...a lot of good data and history both. Check your load book...some of my LYMAN books from the '60s and '70s have considerably hotter loads than are now recommended. Thankfully I only briefly owned a 38 special and didn't shoot it much.

Glenn is a member here and THE MAN on cast boolits. I've heard a little about a forthcoming book....I want TWO AUTOGRAPHED COPIES. He is up on the top of my list of people I want to meet, with John Taffin and Mike Venturino.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

9.3X62AL
08-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Diehard--

Gas checks aren't really necessary for conventional 38 Special loadings. What IS required for leading prevention and best accuracy is close fit of the cast boolit to the cylinder throats. There is quite a bit of "cheat" to that 1400 FPS "standard" for gas check usage, and that "cheat" is enabled by good fit and decent (NOT ultra-hard) boolit metallurgy.

And don't for a second think that gas check boolits can't lead a barrel! Undersized gas-checked boolits do a great job of coating a bore with vaporized boolit metal--the gas check removes most of the deposits, so you don't see the results in the barrel--but the target will leave no doubt that BAD THINGS are happening in the barrel.

What a gas check boolit design best enables is the use of less expensive alloys (wheelweights) in Magnum revolver loads at 'full potential' velocities. Same story with rifles, but to a lesser extent.

Bret4207
08-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Al says it right- FIT IS KING!

Four Fingers of Death
08-16-2009, 08:23 PM
All good advice, but sometimes a gas check will help a gun that is a bit out of plumb. My 586 has one cylinder a tad out of place. Doesn't worry it none, but it shoots gas checked boolits a lot better than plain base. Generally I wouldn't bother with them, but was recommended to try them in this gun and they worked well.

diehard
08-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Thank you all for your advice.

Being new to casting, I bought a mold that was made for a gas check, without knowing it was made for a gas check. Eager to get started, I ran 300+ bullets made from a 50/50 mix of plumber's pipe and wheelweights. From what I read here, I am assuming it will be okay to load them and try them in my .38 specials without fear of excessive leading ( I know I'm responsible for my own actions...just trying to learn). I will find some gas checks and try the bullet both ways to see which works best.

Also, based on some of the excellent comments and links, it seems I may need to get some tin and harden up my bullets just a bit. Or is that not necessary?

Thanks again.