PDA

View Full Version : I'm totally confused.

Obmi
08-11-2009, 04:39 PM
The mold is lee358-148 WC
Gun is S&W 642-2 +p Revolver

I chose this bullet because it uses a lot less powder and I’m tired of my wrist hurting by firing store bought bullets.

Lee’s modern reloading 2ed has this on pg. 565

Win 231 Start 2.9gn and Max 3.3gn OAL 1.180 for 148 grain Wad Cutter

Lyman Cast bullet hand book.. Has a similar bullet but they have this data on pg. 267

Lyman #35891
Win 231 Start 2.8gn Max 4.6gn OAL 1.317

I will be using win 231 at2.9 gn What I’m confused on, is what to use for the OAL my cast bullet is coming out at . 151.8.gn to 152.6 Don’t know why they are all not the same weight.
I’m using 20-1 ww/tin.

Will
08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I have that lee boolit and it works well. I just crimp in the top crimp grove and don't worry about OAL.

snaggdit
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
A couple things will cause variances in weight. First, in a 2 cav mold, each cavity might be slightly different. Second, varying your temp/casting speed/time keeping the boolits in the mold will cause variances as well. That is why it is best to work with melted lead that is up to full temp and don't add anything while casting. Second, get a rythym going that is the same on each drop. Lay out your area so you pick up and set down stuff in the same spot every time. Try to keep all the times the same from fill to fill. I don't have a 38 so I can't speak to OAL, but I'm sure someone will help you out. Seems that if you seat the boolit out farther you can use a tad more powder before pressure gets to the deeper seated OAL. Just my guess on the different load info.

Dframe
08-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Wadcutters have been traditionally seated flush with the case mouth. This was required for certain high end bullseye pistols of the day. I.E. the S&W 52 and Colt National Match.
If you are shooting them out of a revolver, any OAL that doesn't interfere with chambering will work fine. I load full wadcutters so that a few thousanths protrude from the case because they are easier to get started into the chambers. As Will says crimp into the top groove. Seems like a good place to start.

fredj338
08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Your bullet is not the same as the Lymna bullet. So some variation in OAL is expected. You have to tweek your load to match your crimp groove. Your loads are light enough a slight diff in OAL will matter little. A 0.8gr variaton is pretty normal w/ cast bullets, temp of the alloy, temp of the mold, all play into final wt.

mooman76
08-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I like mine just above flush. As long as they chamber you're ok.

anachronism
08-11-2009, 08:51 PM
The weights will never be exactly the same. You're under 1%, so don't worry about it. Your LEE bullet has a slight crimp groove just below the bullet nose. Crimp there & everything will be as uniform as you can make it. Unless you want to trim cases too.

randyrat
08-11-2009, 09:07 PM
+ all the above and sometimes your sprue plate is warped for some reason and you"ll have two different weight boolits.
Load data: Thats why you double check all loads... You did it!

runfiverun
08-12-2009, 11:08 AM
with loads that light i would experiment with no crimp,you have plenty of neck tension there.

wallenba
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Checked both sources, noticed they use different alloys, would not matter, but the weight will vary. Mine sometimes + or - 2,3 grains about the same as 2 postage stamps. Not to worry. The Lyman OAL of 1.317 probably is not the minimum as the handbook does not state . The Lee 2nd states that 1.180 IS a minimum. I would guess you are good to go. Lee bullets are 1 part tin 10 parts lead as they test their data. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi see molds, melters and casting, then mold weights.