PDA

View Full Version : LBT Boolits: Gotta love'em!

GSSP
08-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I love it when the light goes on and I realize how much thought goes into a product. I'm talking about Veral Smith's LBT bullet molds. I currently cast a 230 gr LFN for my Ed Brown Special Forces in 45 ACP, a 160 gr FN for my S&W M67 38 Special and my 4-5/8" ss Ruger NMBH in 45 LC gets fed the 280 WFN. Dealing with Veral is a pleasure and I now realize how thoughtful he is when you are placing your order with him. All the details you give him, he uses to make you the best mold/bullet for your particular gun. Example, I'm mid way through load work up for the 280 WFN for the 45 Colt. I had set the OAL so it "looked" like the case mouth crimped in the optimum spot of the crimp groove using the Redding Profile crimp die. When at the shooting bench and loading each chamber, I notice a bit of resistance to chambering each round. I notice the resistance even more when I rotate the cylinder and the rounds are "seated" into each chamber as the cylinder rotates through the 10-11 o'clock position of the revolver. When I got back to my reloading bench, I reduced the OAL by .004" and BAM, no more resistance. Veral built my mold so that my bullets, when seated just right, sit out against the forcing cones, thus reducing one of the variables by making sure the bullets won't cant as they leave the case and make contact as they go into/through the forcing cones.

Gotta love Veral for his forethought!

Alan

Gunslinger
08-11-2009, 06:58 PM
+1 on that!!!

I just recently recieved my .357 180gr FN mold to use in my Freedom Arms. The boolits look like they were made by a proffessional! And the mold itself - my God what a masterpiece!! SO pleasant to work with, the slugs fall out by themselves almost every time, and the mold closes and opens with such precision that I can't imagine it is possible to produce a mold that is better than an LBT!

And yes, Veral is a nice chap, very proffessional to work with. He answered all my questions within a few days with a thorough explanation of how things work and why! I started by ordering his book (which I highly recommend) and push through slugs, which he sent without payment so I wouldn't have to pay tranaction fees of $20 for both this shipment and the shipment of the molds (I live in Denmark)... now THAT is good customer service!

Oh, and I also have a .30 LFN 160gr for my Winchester M94 Sioux Edition. I haven't tried it yet though, as I do not have a .310 sizer die yet.... but can't hardly wait to try it out.

One thing is for sure, I won't regret buying LBT, and I really doubt anyone else will!