PDA

View Full Version : Moly with cast bullets question

BillyK
08-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi I'm new here.

From what I have been able to see on this and other forums, most people moly coating their boolits combine this with other lubes. For a .308 at low velocity (1000-1100 fps) is just a good moly coating on boolits sufficient lubrication to prevent leading?

The reason I ask is that I have been shooting subsonic cast 308 bullet lubed with Alox through a suppressor. Whilst I have not noticed any 'gummy' residue in the suppressor it is not strippable and have recently read a number of posts on forums that advise against shooting cast boolits through them.

BillyK

44man
08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi I'm new here.

From what I have been able to see on this and other forums, most people moly coating their boolits combine this with other lubes. For a .308 at low velocity (1000-1100 fps) is just a good moly coating on boolits sufficient lubrication to prevent leading?

The reason I ask is that I have been shooting subsonic cast 308 bullet lubed with Alox through a suppressor. Whilst I have not noticed any 'gummy' residue in the suppressor it is not strippable and have recently read a number of posts on forums that advise against shooting cast boolits through them.

BillyK
I was sent some moly coated soft boolits for my revolver once and they leaded my bore so bad it took a week to get it all out.
I have read bad things about moly where coated bores and bullets increased SEE events with slow powders from lack of bullet friction.
Why not try Johnson's paste wax?
Actually, I do not want a slippery lube.

BillyK
08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I was sent some moly coated soft boolits for my revolver once and they leaded my bore so bad it took a week to get it all out.
I have read bad things about moly where coated bores and bullets increased SEE events with slow powders from lack of bullet friction.
Why not try Johnson's paste wax?
Actually, I do not want a slippery lube.

Thanks for the response. Does Johnson's leave much less residue than Alox?

44man
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM
It should not leave any but you need to ask the guys here that swear by it. I see no reason it will not work for you. A cheap test to be sure!

runfiverun
08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
i mix the jpw 3 parts to one b-wax so it firms up and dries.
i melt the b-wax and stir in the jpw.
if your alox is dried i don't see how it would leave much in your supressor.

BillyK
08-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Quick look at Johson's list of products here in UK doesn't seem to included Paste Wax. Have found a number of wood wax's referred to as Paste Wax which include Bees wax.
Is there anything special about JPW or would a wood paste wax do the same job?

Thanks

Bret4207
08-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Any decent wood wax with beeswax may work fine. Try it and see on a few boolits. Some wood waxes contain fine rubbing compounds and that may or may not be a good thing.

As for molly, I don't see and advantage to it in cast. It may function as a very, very polish but there have been several folks saying it just doesn;t seem to work like with jacketed. FWIW I often dust my tumble lubed boolits with Motor Mica or Molly-Z to get rid of the stikyness. It doens;t seem to make any difference for me.

BTW- Welcome to the forum!

BillyK
08-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the responses....down to the hardware store to buy some wood paste wax.

Regards

BillyK

joel0407
08-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I am going to try using MOS2 in my pan wax. (Liquid Moly)

Echo
08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
The 'charm' of JPW is the carnauba wax it contains. Check the contents on the paste wax can to ensure carnauba is present.
I have heard that one can put a dollop of JPW in a large ziplok bag, put the boolits in, zip it, and lay it out in the sun. After a while, the JPW melts, and with some massaging, Voila! Tumble lubed boolits!