PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Bolt Handle

vernm
08-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Had a problem with my rifle today. One of the loads I was testing was a little too stiff in this hot weather. Next thing I know, I am holding the bolt handle and the rest of the bolt is still in the rifle. Probably cheap Chinese solder.

I don't want to repair it myself. Anyone suggest an experienced gunsmith for this work? Or should it go back to Remington? I wonder if the bolt handles can be welded onto the bolt body.

nicholst55
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Give Jon Tank a call at 402.727.1317. If he can't help you, he can tell you who can.

www.tanksrifleshop.com

pietro
08-11-2009, 11:33 AM
What a bummer - I'm sorry to hear that happened !

The departing Remmy 700 handle issue is often talked about and referred to online - but AFAIK, there's never been a pic of one.

I know you're understandibly upset (I would also be), but could you please post a pic of the riflle, specifically the rear of the action area showing the handle-less bolt, and the detached handle next to it ?

Maybe, if more light is shone on the issue, Remington will do something positive about manufacture - like pinning the handle on, in addition to the hard solder used.

GabbyM
08-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I had one snap off last year after I hit it with my boot. This would be under the abuse category. Had stuck an oversize case from a different rifle. It all came out but had one more piece than before. It was an older rifle M-700 from the seventies or eighties at least. I bought it used so am guessing. The bolt handle wasn't soldered on . It was glued. Probably with the stuff they glue vent ribs on with. I'd give it an even chance Remington either never approved this and it was done by some jerk on the line or it may well have been a previous repair job.

I don't have mapp gas or acetylene so had my plumber silver solder a new oversize handle for me free of charge. Since you need a gunsmith FFL to work on guns for hire.

I've a couple Remington M-700's and they are fine shooters but neither would be my first or even second choice to take to war. Just from what I have in my cabinet. My Ruger M-77 would even go before the Rem. But if that's all I had I'd not sweat it much as an M-700 would certainly outlast my old bag of bones.

If that bolt handle snapped off while firing it makes me wonder if the rifles dimensions were correct. Since the lugs are supposed to be holding not the handle. Perhaps only one recoil lug was engaging and by the time the other side tweaked over enough to contact the receiver the bolt had enough spring to snap off the handle. ?? Just a guess.

Willbird
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
I had one snap off last year after I hit it with my boot. This would be under the abuse category. Had stuck an oversize case from a different rifle. It all came out but had one more piece than before. It was an older rifle M-700 from the seventies or eighties at least. I bought it used so am guessing. The bolt handle wasn't soldered on . It was glued. Probably with the stuff they glue vent ribs on with. I'd give it an even chance Remington either never approved this and it was done by some jerk on the line or it may well have been a previous repair job.

I don't have mapp gas or acetylene so had my plumber silver solder a new oversize handle for me free of charge. Since you need a gunsmith FFL to work on guns for hire.

I've a couple Remington M-700's and they are fine shooters but neither would be my first or even second choice to take to war. Just from what I have in my cabinet. My Ruger M-77 would even go before the Rem. But if that's all I had I'd not sweat it much as an M-700 would certainly outlast my old bag of bones.

If that bolt handle snapped off while firing it makes me wonder if the rifles dimensions were correct. Since the lugs are supposed to be holding not the handle. Perhaps only one recoil lug was engaging and by the time the other side tweaked over enough to contact the receiver the bolt had enough spring to snap off the handle. ?? Just a guess.

Just a minor correction, you do NOT need an FFL to work on guns for fun or profit, you DO need an FFL if the customer leaves the gun overnight ;-).

Bill