PDA

View Full Version : 9mm RCBS Mould Questions

Littledog
08-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I was going through some of my dad's old bullet casting equipment and came across an old RCBS 115 grain conical 2 cavity bullet mould. This mould has got to be at least 30 years old and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

I cast for many calibers but the 9mm isn't one of them and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions as to alloy hardness, sized diameter and powder selection, (I currently have plenty of Titegroup, HS6 and 700X). I'd like to cast up a few and try them in my Browning Hi-Power and Berretta 92. Thanks much.

Echo
08-11-2009, 12:38 AM
No experience with that mold, but have cast a few with a similar Lyman (356402). My limited experience suggests using the largest boolit that will reliably chamber in you guns. I have no leading or chambering problems with .357 or .358 boolits in my P1.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-11-2009, 01:33 AM
I have loaded this bullet with 3.2 grains of 700X and it runs a steady 90% thru my 92SB Baretta at 25 yards off the bench. This means out of 10 shots the average score-wise is 90; for example all might be nines, or there is a ten for each 8 along with any nines....but the general grouping is pretty centralized. Sized diameter is .357 cast from ordinary WW metal and lube is 50/50 NRA Alox -Beeswax. Slight taper crimp or just enough to eliminate flare as case mouth has to be seated upon. Feeding is flawless. Haven't used the other powders, but have heard that HS-6 works pretty well. Check manual for how much. LLS