PDA

View Full Version : Saeco 44 wadcutter

wallenba
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I noticed that Saeco has a 44 wadcutter, but none of my load data sources list anything like it. Is there a source anywhere for an orphan bullet like that? I have not ordered the mold, but I do like wadcutters for targets. :coffee:

EDK
08-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I had a LEE two cavity for 429-208-WC for a long time. Should have got a six cavity.

Later I got an extra from GLL's group buy for a 200 grain double ended wadcutter in a 6 cavity LEE. Life is good, even if they shoot a bit low in assorted VAQUEROS. They will feed through my 44 MARLIN Cowboy rifle.

Blammer ran a group buy for a clone of LYMAN 429352 250 grain, 4 cavity brass mould from OLD WEST BULLET MOULDS. They have the cherry and can provide you with one. This about the perfect handgun boolit. I've been using magnum brass, TITEGROUP and HP-38; loads from mild to wild.

PENN BULLETS (?) has some kind of 44 wadcutter available IIRC.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Le Loup Solitaire
08-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi, I normally use an H&G #503 SWC which weighs 250 grains. Just to try something different I made an aluminum plug the same shape as the nose section and used it in one of the cavities. It produced a flat faced wadcutter weighing 175 grains cast from WW. I seated it flush with the case mouth in 44 Mag cases ahead of Unique; in a test series of rounds. Starting with 5.25 grains and increasing by increments of .25 of a grain up to 6.25 grains. In a S&W M29-6 inch all loadings shot 95-96%+. In a S&W M29 8&3/8" barrel, the 5.5 grain loading shot 94.4% and the 5,5 grain loading shot 94.4%. All shooting was off the bench at 25 yards, Each loading step involved 10 shots so thats how the percentages were scored. All shots with these wadcutters were either nines or tens. Best loading for both revolvers was 5.5 grains. No leading, mild recoil, lube was NRA 50/50 Alox-beeswax and sizing was at .429. Undoubtedly other powders will work, but I just happened to be using Unique at the time. LLS