PDA

View Full Version : problems with certain brand of brass?

Sonoma2k2
08-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey guys I'm having problems repriming S&B 9mm brass. All other brands do just fine. it seems like the pocket is to small to accept the new primer. Ive gotten to the point of seperating all the SnB and seeing what some of you guys say. It's like fitting 5 gallons of stuff in a 3 gallon bucket. anyone else run into this problem with this brass or is it just me??

winelover
08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
I recently reloaded 50 rounds of S&B 9mm brass using CCI small pistol primers and Lee's hand priming tool, experiencing no difficulty.

Winelover

KirbyAUS
08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Howdy,
my friends and I all have trouble with repriming S&B 9mm.
Sometimes you get a batch that is easy, but mostly the primer holes are tough.

I've used my RCBS primer swage tool to open them up but it's slow work.
A friend has a Dillon 1050 with the primer swage station and I reload them on his machine.
Once the primer hole is opened up, they give good service and I can load them on any press. Last just as long as Winchester or Remington etc.

Regards,
Kirby.

Sonoma2k2
08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
thanks for your input there guys. i mustve gotten the batch on one of those days that someone wasnt to happy. who knows???????????

Tom W.
08-11-2009, 05:14 AM
I've had the same problem with some S&B .38 Special brass. Most of what I had did well, but some was hard to seat the primer. It shot well, though....

Shiloh
08-11-2009, 05:37 AM
I separate it out. I'm not fanatical about it, but it gets seperated out and scrapped. I have experienced the problems expereienced by you as well as having some that works fine.

I have seen .45 ACP S&B brass that has thin rims, noticeably thinner than Winchester or Remington. I don't remember this in the past from them.

Fortunately I don't have a lot of it, and am happy to casually look over the brass, and scrap it.

Shiloh

jonk
08-11-2009, 09:11 AM
I find trouble with my progressive press with it but if I prime one at a time it's fine. Which is no big deal. I often size first, then prime, then feed in to the progressive press as I can then use the 1st station in the turret (it's a 3 hole press) for an M die- find it works better than a powder through die for flaring.

Echo
08-11-2009, 10:59 AM
+1 for Tom W - The S&B stuff gave me problems when I tried to run them through the Dillon. I now winnow them out. Could probably swage them, but no need, as I have plenty of .38 brass as it is.

UweJ
08-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Same here,in our club we only use S&B once the scrap it.Itīs the cheapest ammo here and with all the hassle itīs been giving ( no matter what caliber ) everyone has decided it wonīt be worth the trouble.
Uwe

Hardcast416taylor
08-12-2009, 11:00 AM
HMMM... Let`s see, (1) made in Eastern Europe. (2) probably made on leftover soviet tooling. (3) no production checking of product. (4) sold in U.S. to a ammo thirsty public. I think that may be an answer to the problem.Robert

Calamity Jake
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Forster or Sinclair primer pocket uniformer fixes them tight PPs

alor_swe
08-13-2009, 12:55 PM
HMMM... Let`s see, (1) made in Eastern Europe. (2) probably made on leftover soviet tooling. (3) no production checking of product. (4) sold in U.S. to a ammo thirsty public. I think that may be an answer to the problem.Robert

The reason for this issue is that s&b have slightly smaller primer pockets than normal.
The primer pocket for small primer is supposed to be 4.445mm (.175 in) but s&b makes them 4.4mm (.173 in). They also makes their primers 4.4mm.

This is often a cause for problems in a progressive presses if it does not align exactly straight but with a hand held primer seater it is mostly noticed as a little extra resistance.
My loadmaster destroyed up to 20% of the primers when I tried to use s&b brass.

You can swage them to the right size but if you have access to other brass, don't bother...

TonyT
08-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey guys I'm having problems repriming S&B 9mm brass. All other brands do just fine. it seems like the pocket is to small to accept the new primer. Ive gotten to the point of seperating all the SnB and seeing what some of you guys say. It's like fitting 5 gallons of stuff in a 3 gallon bucket. anyone else run into this problem with this brass or is it just me??

The primer pockets on S&B brass are not flared and thus make primer seating a bit more difficult. I have fewer problems with 9mm using WSP or CCI than with their 45 ACP brass when using FLP. I use a Dillon 550 and find that I go a bit slower with S&B brass. Otherwise S&W brass is excellent. There is a version of 9mm S&B brass which is brass plated steel. I do not reload those cases.

Firebricker
08-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I have problems with S&B 45acp primer pockets. I used the same Lyman tool I use on other brands to uncrimp primer pockets but they still seem to small. I think Jonks right they probably would work using a hand primer but dont have enough to mess with so I just pitched them. FB