PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite 30-30 load

mnzrxer
08-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks to the good people on this forum I now have another way to use up my time. Some of you likely followed my thread on the Lee C309-150-F boolit that wouldn't fit my chamber well. I decided to pick up another mould (RCBS 30-150-CM) and try again. In the mean time I searched around the site for some plinking loads to try when I finally got the mould. Seemed the "universal" load of 10 grains of Unique would do the trick, so I loaded up a few rounds to try. I highly doubt I will even try any other loads. Velocity was 1525 FPS with very little noise or recoil. What fun and what a great load to use when the kids are ready to move up from the .22. Now I have to go find more brass and cast a bunch of boolits to keep the old rifle fed when I get a few minutes to play.

RU shooter
08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Yes the Unique load works well for me too with boolits cast from your old mould. If you want an even more pleasant and economical load that the kids will love try 5.0--5.5 grs. of bullseye with the boolit unchecked will slay a baseball or beer can everytime at 50 yds or more vel. is in the 1K range.

Tim

Throckmorton
08-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Yep,them plinker loads are a whole boat load of fun for a lot less powder expense.I've seen no reaso,as you say,to try any other loads,the 10grain Unique load works great.