PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Lyman 45 lube-sizer

jar-wv
04-01-2006, 12:11 AM
I just recieved a Lyman 45 I bought off of Ebay. I think it's all there, but could be wrong. It has no directions, but we all know thats the last resort anyway:-D . I have never used or even seen any type of lube-sizing machines, except pictures. It came with a 358 sizer and what looks like a swc type top punch in it. My questions:

1. How do you get the sizing die out? I took out a set screw that appears to hold it in, but the die is stuck. I assume it comes out the top? I thought I better ask here before I get out the bigger hammer. There is about 1/4 stick of lube in unit and that could be all thats making it stick.

2. Is there a supposed to be a method to keep the bullet stop thing on the bottom attached to the threaded sleeve it slides in? It appears to me as if it is an adjusment to stop the bullet from going to deep in the sizer die for lubing, but that might not be what it does at all.

I searched back through all the threads but couldn't really find anything to help me out.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

jar

boogerred
04-01-2006, 02:19 AM
i dont have a 45 but i do have a 450.mine has a nut that screws into the body over the die..sounds like your die is stuck with hardend lube.20 minutes with a blow dryer or 3 mins in boiling water should soften the lube up enough to get the die out.i think your right on quest#2.that adjustment only allows the bullet to go so far down into the sizer die.

D.Mack
04-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes it comes out the top , remove the nut, and slip a spacer (flat wrench, small nut or bullet, but no thumbs) between the bullet stop and the sizer and lift the handle. this should push it out without too much force. Old grease can grip hard and it will also have a vacumb grip to overcome, so soften the old lube if you can and use a spacer, and it should slip right out. DM

SharpsShooter
04-01-2006, 11:41 AM
The Lyman 45 has only the set screw holding the die in the press body. There is no nut on top of the die. That was a design change that occured with the release of the #450. Loosen the screw and raise the handle to eject the die to the point you can get a grip on it and finish the job. Heated air from a hair dryer, applied to the press body for a few minutes prior to the removal makes it remarkably easier.

jar-wv
04-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Hair dryer definatly softens up the lube. I don't have it mounted to a bench yet. I heated it up for about 10 minutes on the dining room table in a box. I managed to get the lube cleaned up off the amish table before the wife saw it, however not so lucky on the hardwood floor. I't official now. The decision has been made after this episode and the previous pan lubing adventures in the kitchen. NOTHING to do with lubing allowed in the house. Die is still stuck but now that I know how it comes out I suspect after I mount it on a bench it will come out. Thanks for the advice.

jar

NVcurmudgeon
04-01-2006, 03:03 PM
jar, I can't picture a #45 machine, but here is what I do with my 450. After removing the set screw, put a spacer about 3/4" thick between the pushrod that pushes up on the bottom punch in your sizing die and the linkage. Raise the handle and the die will be lifted enough to allow a good finger grip so you can pull it out. (The spacer can be a small end wrench turned sideways, etc.)

jar-wv
04-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I temporarily screwed it to a table outside, set up a hairdryer on it and got it good and hot. I'm not sure I understand about the spacer. Is the top of the bullet stop small enough to go through the body of the press where the die is located. If so I can't understand why the spacer is neccessary. In the meantime I'll try to find a spacer large enough to not go through the die and smaller than the top of the bullet stop. Die is still stuck and hasn't budged. Any possibility the die in it is for something else and shouldn't be there? It has .358 stamped on top of it and doesn't extend any past the bottom of the hole its in.

Swagerman
04-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Like someone here suggested, try boiling hot water and immerse the die body portion for about 3 minutes remove and while still warm and wearing leather work gloves try to push it out.

Afterward, lube and oil everything on it.

What color is the lube in the reservore?

Jim

jar-wv
04-01-2006, 03:47 PM
The lube is black, and looks and smells like the lube I made out of beeswax and lithium grease. I tried the spacer trick to no avail. The hairdryer had the press so hot I couldn't keep my hands on it without gloves. Finally pulled the drywall screws through the 3/4" plywood table top. The die is STUCK. I'll try the boiling water next, but somehow think i'm going to end up taking the guide rods off and using a hammer on it.

The diameter of the top of the bullet stop is 1/2". If there were no die in the press would the bullet stop be small enough to go clear through the die hole?

jar

jar-wv
04-01-2006, 05:58 PM
SUCCESS. I turned it upside down and with a few whacks with a 2X2 on the bottom rail it finally started to come out. Then I emptied the lube resevoir as best I could. now going to boil it for a couple of minutes and clean up the whole unit. A few dabs of oil here and there and it should be good as new. Thanks for all the advice. Its kinda hard working on something when you have no idea how it works. Actually it appears to be a rather simple machine.

jar

carpetman
04-01-2006, 10:22 PM
On another thread it was discussed and scientific repeatable perimeters were established to differentiate between a gob and a glob. Now you go off on a tangent and use a different measurement---a dab. This puts us back to the Brylcreem days. Can't you just use standard measurement? Perhaps you are an Aussie,they have to measure everything differently.

jar-wv
04-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Dab is used for substances with lower viscosity. Then glob for substances with slightly higher viscosity. Then gob for really thick stuff. Lets not forget the "drop" for the really runny stuff. Thats the rundown of measurment in this part of WV.

Duckiller
04-01-2006, 10:54 PM
jar-wv Just saw your post. I have a 2 page instruction from Lyman for the #45 luber/sizer be glad to send a copy to you. Includes labels for big parts. Duckiller

454PB
04-01-2006, 10:54 PM
To me, a congealed gob of lube that can be rolled in a ball is a "booger".

Urny
04-01-2006, 11:13 PM
"Biddy gave her a belt in the gob and left her sprawling on the floor." Finnegans' Wake

jar-wv
04-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Duckiller. PM sent

jar-wv
04-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Will all Lyman sizer dies and top punches fit the 45? Midway book and website says " for Lyman 450/4500".

Will RCBS dies also fit it?

jar

StarMetal
04-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Yes and Yes

Joe