PDA

View Full Version : Finished: Contender 357 mini-max

Junior1942
08-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I now own a T-C Contender 357 mini-max thicket pistol. The name I invented because that's what it is--a mini 357 maximum. I borrowed a Manson 357 maximum finishing reamer from a member who is now at the top of my good guy list. I reamed the chamber of my new T-C Contender 357 mag 10" octagon barrel out just enough to seat the very first group buy C358-180-RF bullet in the crimping groove. Ready To Load in my acww alloy, it weighs 190 grs. With the bullet hand seated against the reamed lands, it stops with the case rim even with the bottom of the crimping groove. That left a .020" or less jump into the lands when seated with a seating die.

Old COAL = 1.550"; new COAL = 1.615". Added usable case capacity = ~.112 cc. In terms of added powder capacity, that's ~2.0 grs. Yesterday, I pushed the 190 gr bullet to 1734 fps. Pressure signs were normal. Primers were still rounded. That's honking from a 10" barrel! In the interest of safety and the health of my wrist, I will lower the charge of a powder I will not name to get a velocity of 1700 fps. The pistol weighs only 2 1/2 lbs so recoil is substantial.

In the top photo below, left to right, see a 357 mini-max, a 357 magnum, and a C358-180-RF bullet, two of which are seated in the cases to the left.

In the bottom photo, that's me ready for the thickets but in t-shirt and jeans instead of camo. I'm wearing my hunting backpack. My finger points to a quickly accessible spare round which just happened to fit in a loop in the homemade chest strap. I can grab that round and reload the pistol in an estimated 5 seconds. Around my waist, that's an Uncle Mike's pistol belt I've had for years and never liked because it's too hard. It works perfectly as a 10" octagon Contender carrier. The pistol stays in place even while jumping and running and crawling on hands and knees. The front sight ramp catches perfectly on the bottom of the belt. The ammo carrier on the belt holds 12 extra rounds.

The pistol's front sight is a Junior made red fiber optic. The rear sight is a Williams WGRS T/C #009671 with a Williams #070919 green fiber optic ghost ring slide. The red and green dots combo is unbelievably bright and easy to aim.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/tc/tc35701t.jpg

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/tc/tc35710t.jpg

Vly
08-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Interesting post. To say pushing a 190gr boolit to 1734 fps is "honking" is quite an understatement....more like :holysheep !! I have a 10 inch barrel Contender in the Maximum chambering, and I wuss out at about 1650 fps. My hunting load is a 200 gr LBT at about 1600 fps.

What critters are you chasing through the thickets? Hogs??

Junior1942
08-09-2009, 06:47 PM
....What critters are you chasing through the thickets? Hogs??A big ol' whitetail buck who hangs out in a thicket so thick you have to crawl on hands and knees to move through it. The deer have made tunnel-like trails through the bushes and briars. I'm gonna crawl down one of the tunnels and set up an ambush.

08-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Cool!!

45r
08-17-2009, 12:22 PM
The 357 in a contender sounds like fun so I got a new 12 inch barrel coming.I hope it likes cast boolits.I got lyman and rcbs 158GC,Mtn Mold 215 and 185GC and 200 and 180PB boolits to try in it.I'm thinking it could make a good deer gun and a good small game gun also.Need something to replace the 22 K-hornet barrel a new contender shooter talked me out of.He really likes it and It reminded me how much fun and accurate the contenders are.