PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew powered trimmer

cheese1566
08-09-2009, 10:40 AM
My newest addition to my homebrew line. I tried to justify buying an RCBS Trim-Mate but don't have an extra $100 sitting around. I got this idea from the Sinclair Intl catalog/website, but again, didn't want to drop $395 on that one either.

So I dissected an old Craftsman 7.2 volt drill whose batteries went dead years ago. Hooked it up to my homebrew bench power supply (old computer power supply) and found it turned at about the right speed with good torque. A little felt on the base makes it slide easy enough on the bench.

I can also use it independently like a Trim-Mate prep center by unchucking the trimmer.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Looks great. I've got the RCBS trimmer unit and have not been overwhelmed with it. I think you've got something that likely works better for a lot less money. And if you're drill or power supply goes bad, you can replace them cheaply and easily.

Great job!

Regards,

Dave

hugh
08-09-2009, 03:00 PM
very cool.

Bad Water Bill
08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Is'nt yankee injunity grrrrreat.:drinks:

Sonoma2k2
08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
yeah that is a niffty invention. anything that helps to save some funds is always great. keep up the good work

mike in co
08-10-2009, 06:29 PM
My newest addition to my homebrew line. I tried to justify buying an RCBS Trim-Mate but don't have an extra $100 sitting around. I got this idea from the Sinclair Intl catalog/website, but again, didn't want to drop $395 on that one either.

So I dissected an old Craftsman 7.2 volt drill whose batteries went dead years ago. Hooked it up to my homebrew bench power supply (old computer power supply) and found it turned at about the right speed with good torque. A little felt on the base makes it slide easy enough on the bench.

I can also use it independently like a Trim-Mate prep center by unchucking the trimmer.

my suggestion...hook it up the the wilson in the back and chuck the lyman....

mike in co

Gar
08-11-2009, 09:25 AM
D*mn, another project to add to the list.

Nice job cheese

Marlin Hunter
08-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Very nice. My lexdysia saw powDer trimmer, and I thought "why would you need to trim your powder?"

cheese1566
08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
my suggestion...hook it up the the wilson in the back and chuck the lyman....
mike in co

I would too, but I don't have a case holder for 223 (bulk of my fast trimming for a black rifle) and it's actually an old C-H trimmer. Old enough that the crank handle is pressed on to the cutter shaft. Still sharp and I cannot justify spending money on a new one just for the feature. The "refurbished" Hornady has new cutter shaft from a previous owner and had some play in it already. I figure I'll wear this one out first and save the C-H for my precision reloading.:bigsmyl2: