PDA

View Full Version : loose sprue plate

soldierbilly1
08-09-2009, 09:04 AM
What do you all do for the sprue plate that continually loosens up?
I am losing a lot of time continually tightening the damn thing!
graphite? beeswax? any of this help?
Other than this, my Lyman 38 spec. wadcutter mold is great.
thanks in advance

billy boy

Rockchucker
08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I have this same problem with one of my Lyman molds, I think this was mentioned in another thread somewhere but don't know where it's at. Maybe someone else will chime in with the info.

44man
08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Adjust it where you want it and tighten the setscrew to hold the bolt tight.
I see where the setscrew touches the bolt and file a flat to the base of the threads. You can also stick a small brass or copper slug in the setscrew hole so it tightens against the bolt to prevent thread damage.

Matt_G
08-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I see where the setscrew touches the bolt and file a flat to the base of the threads.

+1.
I've never had one loosen up after doing this.

cajun shooter
08-09-2009, 09:36 AM
If for some reason you don't have a set screw then the next step would be a machine shop.

beagle
08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
First, insure that you have the proper hardware "stackup" under the screw. I like to use a bellvue washer, concave side down topped by a split lock washer.

This eliminates any lateral movement on the washer/plate junction and applies continous pressure on the bellvue washer/sprue plate.

Next, take the mould to a hardware store and get a cap socket head setscrew (allen head) of sufficient length and teh correct thread. I get mine from Ace Hardware.

Clip a small piece of brass and put in the hole and tighten it down. A ball off one of the ball type key chains works well for this.

Lastly, when casting, lubricate the hardware/screw when the mould is hot using a touch of beeswax. Do this sparingly so that it don't get into the cavity.

This should do it./beagle

soldierbilly1
08-09-2009, 11:15 AM
super advice all! thanks!! billy boy