PDA

View Full Version : Another great buffalo gun

lovedogs
03-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Just thought I'd do some more PR for H&R. Finally got all the stuff together for my lady friends H&R Buffalo Classic that she wants to shoot this year for our annual Medicine Rocks Black Powder Assoc. shoot. Broke the bbl. in with J-B paste and a few shots with jacketed boolits; shoot, clean, shoot, clean, etc. Mounted a new Lee Shaver sight on it. Installed a Limbsaver to keep her pretty shoulder pink instead of black and blue. Ordered a 100 rds. of Starline brass and stuffed them with my load that I use in my BC. We're using a Saeco 1881 style 500 gr. cast with 20:1 alloy, sized .459 and lubed with SPG. I want to try some of Lar45's stuff when I can get ahold of him. Using 23 1/2 gr. of 5744 she shoots 1206 FPS. And I'll be darned if this rifle and mine aren't both great shooters. Shot them side by side and both shot inch groups at 100 yds. That's better than these old eyes can see! I think we'll have lots of fun rattling those silly-wets this summer.

Buckshot
04-01-2006, 10:11 AM
...............A freind of a friend has a H&R in 38-55 with a tapered octagon bbl that is a very fine shooter. They're SASS guys, so you buy a new gun it automaticly goes to the 'smith for working over so it has a real nice trigger. Guess the guy knows what he's about. Nice too is that the rifle has a decent piece of walnut on it.

You have the tang sights mounted in the wood?

................Buckshot

lovedogs
04-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Yup. Got the Shaver mounted on the wood just arear of the receiver. A gunsmith friend of mine and I set it up in his milling machine and got it all lined up straight. He also inlets brass slugs into the wood if you ask him to. That works real nice. I figure if I ever have trouble with it just in wood I can redo it and go with the threaded slugs. I'm just careful with the screw driver and haven't had any problems. I heard of another 'smith who inlets a piece of metal formed from bar stock into the wood and taps that. It's supposed to be an even nicer job.

MGySgt
04-18-2006, 09:24 PM
A friend of mine inletted his in the wood and took out some extra underneath and set it with Brownell's steel bedding compound - he didn't use release agent on the base plate or the screws.

He said the stocks are so cheap that he would just as soon buy a new butt stock if he needed to change it.

He took a nice Elk in CO 2 years ago with it. (45/70)

Drew