PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stuck boolit

jforwel
08-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Can somebody tell me how to get a boolit out that seems to be stuck solid in my sizer die?

docone31
08-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I paper patch, and significantly down size some castings. I have gotten some seriously stuck.
I get brass rod stock, bevel the ends, leaving both bottoms dead square. I then hammer the stuck boolitt out of my die.
I use Lee sizing dies.
Another alternative that I have not had to use would be to melt a batch of lead, and put the die in the melt. The die will float. On cooling, the lead can be carefully "lifted" useing brass bar stock. This I have sharpened to act as a chisel to remove the lead. It will not solder to the die without fluxing, if at all.
I have also in a pinch driven a #3 Phillips head into the Lee die, but it does leave marks. Paper patching helps there. I still use that die.

beagle
08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Not knowing the circimstances......I'll take a stab at it.

If it's in a lubricator/sizer, remove the die/bullet. Take a punch that just fits the lube holes and tap in each one. Then place the die over a 2 X 4 with a hole in in smaller than the sizer die, take a brass punch and drive the center pin and bullet out the way it came in.

Occasionally, a bullet will extrude lead into the lube holes when you don't have the depth adjusted correctly. THis will tie it up tight. Use of the punch will drive these extrusions back into the die and allow the bullet and center punch to back out.

Attempts to force it out while in the lubricator/sizer may result in a broken handle or linkage.

If it's otherwise.....tell us more and we'll attempt to go from there./beagle

Wayne Smith
08-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I take the die out, take it over to my vice, put it on top open just enough for the boolit to come out, and wack the plunger with a brass hammer. Always worked so far.

Heavy lead
08-08-2009, 10:22 PM
If all else fails take it out and torch it.

DLCTEX
08-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Drill through the boolit with a bit smaller than the dia. of the boolit. You don't want to remove too much as you need some to punch against, but the hole will allow the metal to collapse inward and make it easier to drive it out. Also, Kroil will help , or lacking that oil, WD-40, etc.

jforwel
08-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks to all you guys. I used the pin punch in the lube holes method, plus the WD-40, and the hammer and vise. It came out and works well but seems to be the hardest sizer I have used out of four different ones. It sizes to .359.

Because of this help which I needed immediately I have donated as suggested by Snaggdit on another post.

qajaq59
08-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Geeze, I didn't even know that could happen. I think I'll save the tips for the day when it does.

WHITETAIL
08-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I always say, Just ask and someone will know!:coffee:

Rocky Raab
08-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I think I'd polish that die pronto. An old bore brush wrapped with a patch and smeared with Flitz works wonders if you spin it with a hand drill. I run it until the die gets hot in my hand - maybe two minutes. Afterward, clean the die well with bore solvent and oil it lightly.

jforwel
08-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Good idea Rocky, but it's part my fault for not lubing that first boolit in a new die. Duh......:???:

Sonoma2k2
08-09-2009, 01:25 PM
i have never had that happen to me like some of you guys have said, but then again im doing my first batch today. i value your information and ideas to this problem. And yes i did lube my boolits the otherday. thanks everyone:castmine: