PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 1200 DPS 2

Gunload Master
04-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Just starting using our new Lyman 1200 DPS 2 yesterday. Really nice scale, very accurate but it takes about 60 seconds per load. Anyone else using one of these handy digital scales?

rbwillnj
04-17-2005, 06:31 PM
I had the LE 1000. I found it a bit slow, and it worked best if it was allowed to warm up for a while. Readings tended to drift until it had been on for 30 minutes or so. I could have lived with it, but a friend gave me a Sartorius laboratory scale that measures to the 1/100 of a grain, so I sold the Lyman. Sometimes you get lucky.

Gunload Master
04-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Well. Actually it takes 30 minutes to "warmup" calibration setup and stuff. And than you can start doing your thing. What would you guys recommend as a faster better digital automatic powder dispenser?

imashooter2
04-17-2005, 08:29 PM
My new PACT will dispense 25 grain loads in 15 seconds with about half of that time spent trickling the last grain. Right now the dispenser scale combo is on sale for $230 delivered straight form PACT:

http://www.pact.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=specials

More info about the system including a chart that shows speeds for different charge weights here:

http://www.pact.com/disp.html

454PB
05-03-2005, 11:16 PM
I have the 1200 DPS and use it only for rifle cartridge reloading. I've found that using it in conjunction with my RCBS Uniflow measure save a lot of time. Seems kind of dumb to do that, but I'm usually throwing 70 to 80 grain charges, and it takes a long time to trickle that much out on the DPS.

Cayoot
05-04-2005, 08:49 AM
My wonderful wife bought me a 1200 dps for Christmas in 2003. I like it, but it is slow. Also, it seems to need to be re-zeroed about every 10 to 15 loads.

If I'm not in a hurry, it is really nice. I use it with my RCBS Turrent press, or on one of my single stage presses. But if I am producing large batches, and not working near max pressure, or if I'm not concerned about being off 1 grn or so, I just use my Hornady powder hopper on my Hornady Progressive.

I never use it on handgun loads....if I'm near max, I just feel more comfortable with my good ol' balance beam.

454PB
05-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Cayoot:
Are you letting the unit warm up for 30 minutes?

I've found mine to be extremely stable. This was a pleasant surprise, because my other digital electronic scale (Pact) is all over the place.

Cayoot
05-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Cayoot:
Are you letting the unit warm up for 30 minutes?

I've found mine to be extremely stable. This was a pleasant surprise, because my other digital electronic scale (Pact) is all over the place.

Yes I am, thanks. I always wait until the count-down on the display finishes before I start using it.

Hmmmm, I wonder if something is wrong with mine? Sounds like you don't have anywhere near the trouble that I do.

mrhaas
05-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Just starting using our new Lyman 1200 DPS 2 yesterday. Really nice scale, very accurate but it takes about 60 seconds per load. Anyone else using one of these handy digital scales?

I am owner of this one and I have the same problem. My scale starts very well ( + - 30 sec to load 17.5 grains), but after ten or eleven loads, the time is growing, and about charge n. 20, the dispenser stop and make a noise (trac....trac...trac...). I wrote to Lyman and they want to me send my scale.
The problem is: I am living in Brazil!!!
Note: I use single base powder, flake.
Regards,
ALberto Haas

mrhaas
07-12-2006, 06:11 PM
:-D Read a good book, or wait seat!

Well. Actually it takes 30 minutes to "warmup" calibration setup and stuff. And than you can start doing your thing. What would you guys recommend as a faster better digital automatic powder dispenser?

swampmaster
07-19-2006, 06:17 AM
I have one and use it for my large rifle loads only use stick powder never flake or ball and after a few years still no problem

mrhaas
07-19-2006, 11:13 AM
To not wait too long, I use to help me (and the DPS!) one of Lee powder measure (that yellow little cup), putting a bits of powder in the pannel, together the DPS.

MGySgt
07-19-2006, 09:24 PM
The more I use mine the better I like it. However - for Pistol I only use it during load development because it is faster to adjust (just punch in the numbers). For all my rifle, which is limited right now to 45/70 and 45/90 - I use it with my BB. The DPS throws the charge 2 tenths light and while I am trickling that one up on the BB the next charge is being dispensed. I haven't timed it, but it is ready when I am. Of course I am not in a high production rate, 20 to 50 at a setting/night.

Drew