PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Rate envelope for patching?

nelsonted1
08-08-2009, 12:19 AM
The post office has a soft envelope in their line of bulk rate packages. The envelope has what appears to be criss-crossing strings of fiberglass. How about that material for paperpatching? It isn't extremely thick and is super strong, try tearing it. Will the fiberglass fill up the groves quickly?

TED

GabbyM
08-08-2009, 12:52 AM
If it's glass fiber would'nt that burnish the barrel some? Or a lot.
Then of course you're considering used postage supplies?

bohokii
08-08-2009, 12:59 AM
that material is tyvek

and it is plastic

shotman
08-08-2009, 03:02 AM
I think it would tend to melt. How are you going to keep it on?

bcp477
08-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Correct. The material from which those envelopes are made is Tyvek. Whether it would melt in the bore (and I think it would, too), it is unneeded. Paper is perfectly adequate for the job - and has the right combination of strength and fragility. You do not want an "indestuctible" material for paper patches - because the patch material MUST shred and strip from the bullet. If one intended for the patches to stay on the bullet and not be destroyed, then tyvek MIGHT be a good bet. As it is, though, I would be leery of anything like tyvek, on the concern of possible deposits and chamber "ringing".

Besides all of that, tyvek is hardly biodegradable. Do you really want to add to the litter problem (if shooting in the field) ??. Paper, though a temporary litter item, WILL degrade quickly. So will cotton wool used as filler.....which is why I use it instead of dacron.

windrider919
08-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I tried tyvek for .458 and got an increase from my average 1" groups to 8" at 100 yds. I think the above post is right that paper is the perfect material. I tried Teflon tape and had similar results to the tyvek. The 'jacket' material has to cleanly and easily drop off the bullet or fliers result. Time after time a newbee [just like I did] wants to try alternate materials and finds instead that (many types) paper works better than any proposed alternate. And since I tried just about every flat rollable substance on earth I feel I know what is going on. Paper rules!

303Guy
08-09-2009, 01:14 AM
But it's also fun finding out what doesn't work!:mrgreen: (The problem with when it doesn't work is that one cannot always be sure which variable caused the failure! :roll: )

bohokii
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
how about using wax paper it has built in lube

303Guy
08-10-2009, 04:01 AM
If one could warm it, it would adhere to itself. I have wondered about wax paper but didn't think of warming it till now. Mmmmm......!

pdawg_shooter
08-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Sounds like we are reinventing the wheel here. Of everything I have tried of the last 40 years, paper works best. I am to the point where I use green bar printer paper an most everything. Two wraps and a little lube work fine.