PDA

View Full Version : Lee bevel removal

cheese1566
08-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Who removes the Lee bevel base from 6 banger molds? And what's the cost?

Can I do it carefully with the right size drill bit, going slow and twisting by hand? (I can see where shipping to and from with the machining charge will cost more than a new mold. Unless I have the local machine shop do it, about $15-20)

I tried removing burrs from the base of the bullet where the bezel is with a case deburr tool and may have went too far...eeeeek!

Only cosmetic and no one will see it in the loaded case!

softpoint
08-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I have a thread on this forum somewhere, I just did a 6 holer with a utility knife. A drill will hang too badly. Be ready to spend a little time and go slowly. Ill see if I can still find that thread.:-) try here
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58971&highlight=bevel+base

pinshooter
08-08-2009, 10:50 PM
I had a friend with a milling machine thin the mold with a flycutter. A machine shop would probably do this fairly cheap. No chance of getting the hole out of round this way, but changed a .45 200 gr SWC BB to a 180 gr SWC flat base (which is what I really wanted anyway). Just be sure to shorten the rear sprue plate bolt by the same amount or you'll destroy the threads in the mold. Don't ask me how I discovered this...[smilie=1:

deltaenterprizes
08-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I can do that, PM sent. The bolt can be shimmed with washers.

08-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Ben has a tutorial on here somewhere that explains (with pictures) of how to do it. Pretty easy with a drill press and some very slow going.

beanflip
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
big oops

cheese1566
08-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Yep!
The biggest thing is that it is keeping the slugs from falling out of the blocks. I have to resort to small jiggle or light tap with my soft rubber hammer.

I just cleaned up a Lee 356-120TC 6 banger that I suspect was once a bevel base too. I bought this one used. I cast some before cleaning and a light lapping. The bases I found were to be a little larger than the drive band, just enough to see. Not a problem though as they are easily drpped down in the sizer. After light scrubbing and a lapping/polish, the larger base is evident.

I may try to find a small multi cut reamer or fractional bit just large enough to open it up a little more to get the top flashing-burr removed. Then a good polish like my 356 mold.

If all else fails, I will have my local shop take light skimming off the mold and take the lower weight.