PDA

View Full Version : Chrome bores and Boolits

Three44s
08-07-2009, 12:28 AM
I had a gunsmith give me the what fors for suggesting boolits in what he says has a chrome bore.

Truth or fiction: No boolits in a chrome bore? AND Does a Kel-tec PF-9 have a chrome bore?

(The PF-9 is their 9mm luger mouse gun)

:groner:

Three 44s

Bob Krack
08-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Sounds like he is trying to sell you the feces of a male bovine!

HeavyMetal
08-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Ask him what he's been smoking!

Chrome bores are supposed to be harder and smoother than plain steel. They ideas is to reduce fouling. Thats way so many shotguns have chromed bores and lead shot works real well in them!

I have shot several guns with "chrome" bores and lead actually goes faster in them than jacketed!

Same with Stainless Steel. particularly Bar Sto's as the finish is real nice in everyone I've seen, a lead boolit is usually 40 to 50 FPS faster, boolit weight and powder charge the same, than a jacketed bullet!

I'll take a free 50 FPS any day of the week!

mroliver77
08-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I shoot lead in a chrome lined poly tech m-14 all the time. Very good results and no leading whatsoever. I can even commit sacrilege and go from cast to jacketed to cast with no apparent ill affects. YMMV
Jay

Three44s
08-07-2009, 01:37 AM
The gunsmith in question is pretty new to the trade and was fed this line in school.

I asked him about my SKS's (chromed Norincos) and he said the same applied.

He told me about a fellow that blew up a STI (1911) built with a chromed Wilson target tube and busted it after just 250 rounds containing boolits.

Three 44s

snaggdit
08-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Yeah, his sisters boyfriends cousins gun blew up, right? Lets say he was shooting store bought hard cast that was .001 under size in his grooves. He fired 250 rounds without checking for leading and didn't notice his accuracy was getting worse (probably was bad to begin with in my hypothesis). Brass was probably showing signs of pressure issues but was ignored.

shotman
08-07-2009, 02:10 AM
I agree with snag Had a target spring and 7gr of bullseye do it everytime. I have a browning 2000 with a chrome slug barrel It was made before the new sabots were made. also 2 other 2000 barrels for shot.

DLCTEX
08-07-2009, 07:42 AM
I'd be looking for another gunsmith. That defies all common sense.

scb
08-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I'd be looking for another gunsmith. That defies all common sense.

+1
I just ran a couple hundred boolits thru my stg58 last Tuesday. No problem. No leading either, tho I don't know if that's because of the chrome.

BD
08-07-2009, 05:08 PM
I think I'm at 300 rounds of cast boolits through my .450B, not a sign of leading.
BD

Three44s
08-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Yeah, his sisters boyfriends cousins gun blew up, right? Lets say he was shooting store bought hard cast that was .001 under size in his grooves. He fired 250 rounds without checking for leading and didn't notice his accuracy was getting worse (probably was bad to begin with in my hypothesis). Brass was probably showing signs of pressure issues but was ignored.

You may be hitting the nail on the head. The story goes that he took the newly built 1911 straight to the range and ran 250 Laser Casts through it.

The gunsmith refered to the boolits as soft lead Laser Casts.......... [smilie=f:

Nothing against Laser Casts but all the ones I have loaded have been hard.

dale clawson,

Our smiths are few and far between. Our one experienced gunsmith retired to Montana nearly two years ...... it's sort of like the CW song, "Getting close to closing time" ....... we is sort of hard up around here!!! But no, he's not my gunsmith and I'll go out of town 'fore I let one of my smoke poles get bucthered up!!!!!

Three 44s

GabbyM
08-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Their is no end to the lines of bs trumped up. Pick your subject as boolits have no monopoly on the persecuted list. Your gunsmiths school was probably sponsored by Speer or some other *** company that makes their living off the government tit. I'd give him another chance as not everyone knows everything like I do.

Wonder what this chrome is supposed to do to lead. Maybe set up a static charge sending lighting out the barrel.? May have to try that. Actually I've shot 223 from my chrome AR. Got in a brand new Lyman mold for it today in fact. And my M700 CM in 22 caliber. Better get a Kevlar face mask for when the blowup in my face.

I'm trying to think if their is any gun that's not been claimed unsuitable for pb bullets. I'ts not muzzle loaders since we all know you need a plastic sabot for them to work. humm.

captaint
08-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Well, I'm with Dale. Find a new (more experienced) smith. School is school. Experience is knowing the deal. Guess I better dump that 1911 that I put 1000 boolit rounds thru this summer. Thing must be ruined by now!!!! Enjoy Mike

redbear705
08-08-2009, 07:33 AM
You may be hitting the nail on the head. The story goes that he took the newly built 1911 straight to the range and ran 250 Laser Casts through it.

Three 44s

I use full metal jacketed bullets to break in my barrels.

Lead is too soft to do what is needed for breaking in a barrel unless you are using polishing compound on the lead boolits :bigsmyl2:.

HeavyMetal
08-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Any idea which school or "hero" graduated from?

I will also suggest that an invite to shoot some at the local range may be a way to further his edjucation and smooth out some of the rough edges as well.

It is a rare combonation to have both technical skill and the ability to deal with the public, so dealing with the public in a less pressured non business enviroment may help everyone out a bit.

Then again he may have a "tude" as big as all outdoors!

Make the effort cause smiths are hard to find and you may help everyone, long term.

Treetop
08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
I have four AK pattern rifles, all of them have chrome lined bores. I shoot so many Lee 155 grain boolits through these rifles that I now have a Lyman turret press that stays set up to load the 7.62x 39. My load is the Lee 155 grain boolit cast of water quenched WW and 18 gr. of IMR 4227. My boolits actually weigh in at 151 grains.

The rifle's bores are spotless after hundreds and hundreds of rounds of these loads. I occasionally run a patch through the bores just because I feel guilty for not doing so. I get small amounts of lead on the face of the gas pistons, but it easily cleans up.

Accuracy is on a par with Russian factory and functioning has been 100%!

I would sure like to know where this falsehood got started. Maybe it's an offshoot of the Glock barrel vs. cast boolits situation...

crabo
08-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I think I'm at 300 rounds of cast boolits through my .450B, not a sign of leading.
BD

BD, how is that project coming?

dogbert41
08-08-2009, 01:22 PM
+1
I just ran a couple hundred boolits thru my stg58 last Tuesday. No problem. No leading either, tho I don't know if that's because of the chrome.

I don't know if you have the same STG58 I did, but those cold hammer forged Steyer barrels aren't chromed, but man, they are a work of art!

BD
08-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Crabo,
I've been through about 5 boolit designs so far, with the best results to date coming from the 300 grainer I designed on the Mountain Molds site. Still, 2 1/2" is as good as I can get at 100 yards off the bench. This rifle put a 30 round load work up with the Hornady FTXs into 1 1/4", (three grain spread in powder charge), so I know the rifle can shoot.

Gas checks are definately needed. Non of the plain base designs would group under 4".

Issues seem to be: not enough bearing length, and the noses getting beat up coming out of the mag. I'm planning to try some of the Lee .452 300 grainers tomorrow. They have more meplat and more bearing length. i don't have any Lino with me in NY, but I'm thinking of adding some shot to the WW alloy I've got and trying some heat treating.

BD

Three44s
08-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Hmmm,

I had not thought of helping to edumucate this young gunsmith. I'll give him credit for one thing: He recently served in the sand box ..... I'll take my hat off for anyone who's done that for us.

When I say my area is really devoid of a decent gunsmith I am sure not kidding. But this poor fellow has no machinery, his "shop" is a moble home propped up behind the sporting goods store he hangs his hat at. I don't know what school he went to.

But what I am really asking for is advice on how to break in a chromed barrel (Kel-tec PF-9) for lead?

Regards

Three 44s

Leftoverdj
08-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Hmmm,

I had not thought of helping to edumucate this young gunsmith. I'll give him credit for one thing: He recently served in the sand box ..... I'll take my hat off for anyone who's done that for us.

There are political forums for this stuff.

geargnasher
08-09-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't know about barrels, but I've been beating up my Snap-on tools for nearly 15 years and the chrome hasn't even flaked! You would need some serious abrasive to hurt that stuff.

Gear

shotman
08-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Hey just shoot it. SS bores thay I have I like the Lyman bore cream . But a chrome it wouldnt penatrate. The bore cream has moly in it and it does make a difference on copper fouling. I use it on the rifles and no copper . but just get that K9 and let r bark

scb
08-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't know if you have the same STG58 I did, but those cold hammer forged Steyer barrels aren't chromed, but man, they are a work of art!

Not original bbl:
http://www.dsarms.com/21-Israeli-Pattern-Heavy-Barrel---00121IS/productinfo/00121IS/