PDA

View Full Version : powder bullet lube ??

XWrench3
08-06-2009, 11:38 PM
i bought some lyman powder moly bullet coating, supposed to be for jacketed bullets i believe. i was wondering if this would work for regular cast boolits as well? will it stay put on a cast boolit without some kind of bonding agent?

lar45
08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
When coating lead bullets with a lapping compound for lapping a barrel, I believe they used two flat pieces of something like plate glass that you would push back and forth to embedd the compound on the surface of the bullets. I wonder if rolling them in the moly powder like this would help?

leftiye
08-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Probly will stay on, ..... but you will still need a grease/wax lube too. Maybe a dip, or tumble lube. Moly won't work acceptably alone.

JIMinPHX
08-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Billy Bullets are cast boolits with a full moly lube coat that may have originally been a powder. I've wondered about their coating process. It almost looks like a powder coat.

I've thought about using powdered graphite, but i know that stuff can be an abrasive if it is in a zero moisture atmosphere (which is why NASA doesn't use it in space). I'm not sure if a boolit in a gun barrel has enough moisture present the act as ball bearings between the plate like molecules of the graphite or not, so I haven't tried it yet.

Jim
08-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Winchester makes "cowboy" loads with lead bullets in .45 Colt. The boolits are coated with 4X graphite.