PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen door gun

singleshotbuff
08-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Gentlemen,

Just curious what rifle you keep behind the kitchen (or living room etc) door to handle misc chores.

This question probably applies more to rural dwellers than urban dwellers. Here in the country, we keep a rifle behind the kitchen door to dispatch vermin (and occassional big game) as well as defend the homestead. In a pinch, it could be pressed into service for most anything I'd ever have to shoot with a gun.

My current kitchen door gun is an M44 Russian 7.62X54R, with the bayonet lug cut off and put into a black synthetic sporter stock. It wears a nylon/neoprene sling and has an ammo holder on the buttstock. In the ammo holder, I keep 4 rounds of varmint ammo and 5 rounds of big game ammo. The varmint ammo is a handload with a Hornady (.312") 85gr XTP bullet at about 2,900 f.p.s. The big game load is some OLD Remington factory 150gr bronze points. Both loads shoot to a useable point of aim at reasonable ranges.

This is the gun that I am most likely to grab when I head out the front door. It is such a useful piece. About as handy as an M94 lever action 30/30, but with a bit more punch.

The most recent example of it's usefuness was yesterday. Me and my brother went to check our trail cams so we threw the M44 behind the seat of the truck. On the way to the camera, we came across a groundhog and my brother grabbed the rifle and dusted the hog at about 75 yards, with the open sights, using the varmint loads from the buttstock ammo holder.

This gun has been used many times in a similar role. It is one of my most used guns.

So, what do you use?

SSB

HWooldridge
08-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Model 39 .22 with 4x scope. Also have a Remington model 11 in 12 ga for larger varmints.

watkibe
08-06-2009, 11:40 PM
When I had my farm, I kept a 10/22 behind the door. Leaving the bolt open and the loaded mag in meant it was safe, could be easily be seen to be safe, but could be loaded in just a second. It was scoped and I kept a flashlight with it. I made many trips out to the poultry house on winter nights with it.

runfiverun
08-07-2009, 12:17 AM
i kept a shotgun by the back door and a 22 by the kitchen door.
i now keep a revolver in the basement and one on each floor seeing as how we live in the big city of 2,000 people.

Rockydog
08-07-2009, 12:37 AM
When I lived in the country I kept a shotgun behind the kitchen door. Only grabbed it twice. Had a Bible salesman come by one day. I met him at the door and stood talking to him with the door open and him on the prorch. Very persistant fellow. I informed him that I had enough bibles in the house and couldn't see use for another as I didn't think God's word had changed. He still persisted but I dismissed him and started to close the door. He promptly wedged his foot in the jamb so I couldn't close it. I reached beside me and racked a round in as it came up. Next thing I know there's a purple VW micro bus with Jesus spray painted on the side pretending to be Big Daddy Don Garlits heading out my driveway. The other time was at 2:00 AM when a guy was pounding on my door wanting to use my phone as his car was broke down about 1/2 mile from my place. I didn't open the door but said if he'd give me a number I'd call for him. The door wasn't locked but did have a safety chain on it. He decided to open the door and was greeted by a 12 gauge pump about 4" from his nose. Damn fool was a drunk teenager. I knew his folks and called them and told them to come and get him. Also told them that he damn near died. They were pissed at me! People....... RD

HeavyMetal
08-07-2009, 12:51 AM
At 2 AM you should not have to decide friend or foe at the door.

MY Friends are smart enough to know that I'm a tad cranky when woke up at 2 AM! There also Smart enough to know that if it's a real deal I'm there for them in a heartbeat!

They also call!

AS to the back door gun? Hard to find use for one in LA but my BIL kept a real nice 177 Pellet rifle at his back door for Quail, Chucker, and Cottontail that wandered into the garden area!

I've had more than one tasty meal provided by that CABELLA's air rifle!

Echo
08-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Well - I guess I'm embarrassed. My back door gun is a Daisy 717 air pistol - I use it to de-populate the ground squirrels. We are sort of in a built-up desert area, so I seldom see anything larger than a javelina, and can't hunt 'em here in the yard.

Hardcast416taylor
08-07-2009, 02:47 AM
A Lee-Enfield #4 with 7 rounds in the magazine of mil- ball. Have dispatched dropped dogs bothering my beef and dogs chasing deer. Threw a deliberate way off target shot to scare off gas thieves 1 night and only once produced it to discourage a persistent fool that wanted to call his brother on a sunday afternoon, he reeked of booze.Robert

BarryinIN
08-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Ceiner suppressed Ruger 77/22 with 4X Leupold.
I have two of those self-sealing swinging discs hanging just over 60 yards from the back door. When I have a spare minute or two, I grab that rifle and shoot a magazine for offhand practice.
I find I'm more apt to practice if it takes little effort to do so. I can be done in a couple of minutes, hardly have to walk out of my way, and nobody is disturbed by it. That rifle gets shot more often than anything else just because it's too easy not to.

For uninvited guests at the door, I always have something on my side and usually something bigger close by.

S.R.Custom
08-07-2009, 03:24 AM
Winchester model '97, 30" modified, loaded with OO buckshot.

oldhickory
08-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Ruger 10/22 at the kitchen door, Weaver 2.5X scope, magazine on top of the freezer right beside it loaded with CCI Stingers. That's my cat gun. Oh, and a Mossberg 42B in the summer kitchen!

Lloyd Smale
08-07-2009, 05:44 AM
22 hornet ruger for the most part along with a 1911 for two legged visiters

08-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Living in the country with animals requires keeping at least a 22 close by. My back door has a tactical 12 close by and a 1911 close to that. Front has a 1958 Mauser '06 close and a couple of handguns in the BOB, also close by. The definition of a gun nut is one who has one in every room but still carries incase he is attacked in the hallway-lol. Not quite that bad yet but trying to improve. wc

pdawg_shooter
08-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I do live in the country and my kitchen door gun is a Marlin 1895G. Figure that will handle anything that needs handled. It is 20 or 30 minutes response time for the sheriff, at best, so there are various firearms scattered around just in case.

gary0529
08-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Like pdawg, I too, live in country and also keep 1895with Scout scope(old eyes) in -what else would you expect -45-70- for general purpose use.
Will do the number on deer, coyote and other vermin.
A High Standard Citation does the work on skunk, raccoon and smaller pests.
I live by the adage that when seconds count my sheriffs response time is 12 to 15 minutes on a good day. God helps them who help themselves.

Gary

Bret4207
08-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Mines not by the back door, but there's an FR8 308, a Charter 44 Bulldog, a Star PD and a Savage 22/410 in reach.

jar-wv
08-07-2009, 08:23 AM
12 guage Rem 870, Marlin 17 HMR close to the doors. 357 wheelgun within easy reach.

jar

EMC45
08-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Got a revolver with Hps(Mod36) within reach, also a bolt action Glenfield shotgun with 3 round box withing reach. I also keep my doors locked ALL the time! Had a guy that tried to solicit some work from me once. He jiggled my front doorknob after knocking (dumb thing to do). I met him around the house at my other door. He told me he was interested in siding a new addition we had built. I told him no thanks. I had my hand in my pocket around my Kel Tec P3AT. I think he knew full well I had the gun too. I didn't try to hide it! Funny thing is he never came over again to ask about anything....EVER!

Down South
08-07-2009, 09:12 AM
I keep a CZ 17HMR loaded & handy. No kids here and I keep several loaded guns around. The little 17 has dispatched many critters over the years. It's my squirrel hunting gun too. It's very accurate. With a good rest I can take a squirrel @ 100 yds with it easy. That is if there isn't a breeze blowing.
I keep one of my bigger rifles loaded (257 Weatherby Mag) in the gun case for more serious work like Yodees in the pasture. For the two legged vermin, I always have a 38 Special in my pocket or it's resting on my night stand while I sleep.

m.chalmers
08-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Back door has a 22LR rifle and the wife's 20ga, barn has a 30/30. I need to put a 22 in the barn. Wife waste to much ammo shooting Coons, those little F'ers are fast :)

leadeye
08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Old Nylon 66 takes care of most things around here.:-D

Old Ironsights
08-07-2009, 10:49 AM
For legal reasons, the only loaded gun in my house that is not locked up is the one on my belt.

As we live in town (for now) the "kitchen door gun" is a Taser C2. Wife has no problems with that.

Trey45
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Don't really have a kitchen door gun, the all around inside the house gun is a 870 12 gauge.
I do keep 2 guns in the garage, a freeby RG22 loaded with snake shot, for you guessed it, snakes. Living this close to the swamp you'd think we'd have more snakes than we do in the yard, I've only seen one and he wasn't poisonous. Haven't used the RG22 on a snake yet.

I normally keep a HiPoint 40sw carbine behind the tool box, for rabbit and groundhog control, got 2 rabbits out of the garden with it so far this year, no groundhogs with it. The hipoint is just ugly enough that I have no real attachment to it, so if it were to get stolen out of the garage, I wouldn't be as upset as I would be if they stole something else. Funny thing about it is, as ugly as it is, it eats and hits with any ammo I've tried, handloads to jhp.

08-07-2009, 12:14 PM
The one closest to the back door is a 222 Rem M600 bolt gun.

corvette8n
08-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Gamo Shadow .177 w/4x BSA airgun scope keeps the Squirrels out of the birdfeeders.

hoosierlogger
08-07-2009, 12:21 PM
scoped marlin model 60. Quick fix to rabbits and other unwelcome garden grazers.

Char-Gar
08-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Well, I am now a city boy and do have a kitchen door gun just in case I get lucky and can "live out" again. It is a Savage 24 Camper... 22 LR barrel over a 20 ga. barrel.

Old Ironsights
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
... Funny thing about it is, as ugly as it is, it eats and hits with any ammo I've tried, handloads to jhp.
And that is precicely what HiPoints are all about. Inexpensive and functional.

Which, of course, makes them "saturday night specials" - i.e. cheap guns that them rabble-rousing negros can afford - which is why the oh-so-progressive and not-racist Liberals coined the term... stole it really, from the epithet "******-town Saturday Night Special"...

Gotta love them Libs. White Man Speak with Forked Tongue... :roll:

hoosierlogger
08-07-2009, 04:12 PM
And that is precicely what HiPoints are all about. Inexpensive and functional.

Which, of course, makes them "saturday night specials" - i.e. cheap guns that them rabble-rousing negros can afford - which is why the oh-so-progressive and not-racist Liberals coined the term... stole it really, from the epithet "******-town Saturday Night Special"...

Gotta love them Libs. White Man Speak with Forked Tongue... :roll:

I got a Clerke .22 short in a trade deal I worked out with a guy (the original Saturday Night Special, that sold new for $29). Talk about a ********* gun. I couldnt hit the ground if I aimed right at it. When you shoot it you can feel very small shavings of lead from the bullet hit your hand when it is fired. That is due to the very poor cylinder timing.

Witch BTW used to be hung on a nail behind the kitchen door of the guy I got it from.

Geraldo
08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
When I was a kid, we had a Remington 510 .22 in the corner of the kitchen. Single or double barreled shotguns and .22s were pretty much the order of the day in any kitchen you walked into. If I lived in the country I could make do with either.

RU shooter
08-07-2009, 05:29 PM
The one closest to the back door is a 222 Rem M600 bolt gun.

Thats the "one" I've been looking for too! But not as a door gun though! I need a mate for my M600 in 35 rem.
No long guns behind the door as theres still kids running about but the 44 spl. is atop the fridge.

gds
08-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I keep a ruger 10/22 for varmit and pests. An Ar15 for 2 legged vermin and above. Always got a P3AT in the pocket. Got an AK47 in the shed. There is always a .45 1911 within easy reach.

Bret4207
08-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Don't really have a kitchen door gun, the all around inside the house gun is a 870 12 gauge.
I do keep 2 guns in the garage, a freeby RG22 loaded with snake shot, for you guessed it, snakes. Living this close to the swamp you'd think we'd have more snakes than we do in the yard, I've only seen one and he wasn't poisonous. Haven't used the RG22 on a snake yet.

I normally keep a HiPoint 40sw carbine behind the tool box, for rabbit and groundhog control, got 2 rabbits out of the garden with it so far this year, no groundhogs with it. The hipoint is just ugly enough that I have no real attachment to it, so if it were to get stolen out of the garage, I wouldn't be as upset as I would be if they stole something else. Funny thing about it is, as ugly as it is, it eats and hits with any ammo I've tried, handloads to jhp.

I'm keeping my eye open for a 40 Hi Point or one of the allegedly produced, but never seen Marlin auto's in 40. Either will be for SWMBO.

Urny
08-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Herself's T-Bolt, magazine loaded with shorts, sits by the back door. It has been used several times to (re)establish the peace when little vermin come to call. A three minute dot in an old Weaver K3 works very well at backyard ranges.

Bob Krack
08-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Backdoor is covered by a fenced yard. Front door sports a Mossberg 500 with 6 rounds of #0 buck as a "mantle" - that is, the thing lives right above the door in a rack.

longhorn
08-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Savage Mod 24, 22 mag over 20. The short gun's always on me or on the nightstand.

Johnch
08-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Beside the back door there is 2 guns
A OLD 870 20 gau loaded with #6 shot
It is used for ANYTHING that needs to be shot
While #6 isn't the best for 2 leg vermin
It will work up close

But the sporterized Turk 98 is better for larger vermin
I have a GB boolit with 4895 in it
With 32 cal RB's with reddot handy for close range rabbit , coon or tree rat use

And several 1911 45's around the house where they will be handy

John

beagle
08-07-2009, 09:29 PM
M870 18" barrel with no plug loaded with high base #4s and a Marlin M1894 .357 Mag in the stairwell loaded with hot .38 Special 358477HPs. 9mm Browning High Power also close at hand./beagle

singleshotbuff
08-07-2009, 10:47 PM
In addition to the M44 by the kitchen door, there's also a Savage o/u .22/410 in the hallway. My son uses it when something needs shot as he's a bit small for the 54R yet. He knows how to operate the savage very well (he's 13) and is trusted with it.

I was sitting on the couch a coupla weeks ago, son comes in from outside, doesn't say a word and grabs the savage. Out the front door he goes, "BOOM", back in he comes. He puts the o/u back in it's spot and puts the empty 410 hull with the others to be reloaded. I finally asked him "what'd ya shoot?". His response was a groundhog. I was proud of him lol.

I also always go about my daily business here with either a 45LC or a 380 on my hip.

SSB

bob208
08-07-2009, 11:13 PM
back door a .12ga single barrel. in the pantry a colt police positive spl. in .38. in my office a repro. 66 win in .44-40. by the bed a ruger bh in .45 colt. and a mini 14. wife keeps my m1 carbine in her office.

sheepdog
08-07-2009, 11:14 PM
For legal reasons, the only loaded gun in my house that is not locked up is the one on my belt.

As we live in town (for now) the "kitchen door gun" is a Taser C2. Wife has no problems with that.

And that's why you couldn't pay me enough to live in Obamaville. That city is so screwed up on gun laws its hard to believe

44mag1
08-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Im suprised no one has a taurus judge lying around, I want one when $ permits. I keep my ar handy for 2 leggers and a browning 22 lever action with cb's for any vermin like ferrel cats and skunks. Theres a handgun assortment within reach at all times too.

Mumblypeg
08-08-2009, 12:06 AM
a Daisy Red Rider for bees and fun, Marlin 39a Century for vermin, Uberti High Wall in 38-55 for right now but suject to change depending on how I feel, as I trade that off for various others when the mood strikes... a colt 1911 70series and Ruger single six. There are more but I hate to admit it. You know, we got it bad because these post look very much alike.

jlchucker
08-08-2009, 10:49 AM
12 ga 870 express in the corner of my bedroom, and a Marlin 30-30 in a handy location downstairs. Ammo? #4 high brass birdshot for the 12, and the usual 170 grain Corelocts for the rifle. I've got a model 60 Smith with a 3 inch barrel, too--loaded with 38 special handloads--158 gr keith-type over titegroup. My go-to gun for backyard vermin such as the rabid skunk I had to shoot for the lady next door yesterday is a CZ 452 22 long rifle. If he sits still long enough, I 'll use that one on the red squirrel who's making a niusance of himself in my back yard. Only I'll use CB caps so's not to bother the neighbors.

fatnhappy
08-08-2009, 11:07 AM
When I had my farm, I kept a 10/22 behind the door. Leaving the bolt open and the loaded mag in meant it was safe, could be easily be seen to be safe, but could be loaded in just a second. It was scoped and I kept a flashlight with it. I made many trips out to the poultry house on winter nights with it.

same here. I have a 10/22 with a 4X scope that looks a bit out of proportion to the size of the rifle. I used it last night on a coon.

cabezaverde
08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
same here. I have a 10/22 with a 4X scope that looks a bit out of proportion to the size of the rifle. I used it last night on a coon.

Where you live, try the 22 Super Collibri's in a bolt gun. Your neighbors will never hear.

butchn
08-09-2009, 06:09 PM
a Daisy Red Rider for bees and fun, Marlin 39a Century for vermin, Uberti High Wall in 38-55 for right now but suject to change depending on how I feel, as I trade that off for various others when the mood strikes... a colt 1911 70series and Ruger single six. There are more but I hate to admit it. You know, we got it bad because these post look very much alike.

HA HA My wife thought I was the only one who shoots bees. Ruger 10/22 behind the front door, Rem 870 12 ga. with 3" 00 at the back door. Kimber 45 in the car, Kel Tek sub 2000 in the RV. AR in the closet. Para Ord. 45 is my carry gun thats in the drawer by my bed at night. Also keep a NAA mini mag revolver in my pocket. I live in the country and raise chickens and goats but there is a small neighborHOOD not far away where crime is pretty high.

shunka
08-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Back door gun? that would be this:

Nora
08-10-2009, 12:22 AM
M1969 with a 2-7 Redfield for the critters, and a mastiff to keep the intruders company wile ya get something bigger.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Behind the bedroom door is a Savage O/U 30-40 Krag(rechambered the 30-30) over 12 gauge 3 1/2" Magnum. Top night stand drawer has my undies and a Para P-14 45acp.

Rich
DRSS

stubshaft
08-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Rem. 870 with pistol grip and mag extension behind headboard and a mdl 66 4" in the drawer.

bigdog454
08-10-2009, 11:19 AM
If ya really want to know, just come in uninvited!

Although I do keep a 223 pest rifle hanging by the sling on the coat rack!

Trey45
08-10-2009, 11:34 AM
a mastiff to keep the intruders company wile ya get something bigger.

BEAUTIFUL dogs! Many years ago I had a neighbor that had a mastiff, my daughter was around 2 maybe 3 yrs old at the time and would ride that dog like a horse! Friendly loyal dogs, but extremely territorial. They had a meter reader misfortunate enough to read their meter while their dog was in the yard, the dog didn't attack him, but held him at bay until the owners came out back to see what all the hollering and yelling was about! On hot summer days they used a 5 gallon bucket for his water bowl!

dukenukum
08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I normally keep a HiPoint 40sw carbine behind the tool box, for rabbit and groundhog control, got 2 rabbits out of the garden with it so far this year, no groundhogs with it. The hipoint is just ugly enough that I have no real attachment to it, so if it were to get stolen out of the garage, I wouldn't be as upset as I would be if they stole something else. Funny thing about it is, as ugly as it is, it eats and hits with any ammo I've tried, handloads to jhp.[/QUOTE]
Hi-Points are no more ugly than Glocks.

MakeMineA10mm
08-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, I've had to live in the city most of my life. When I was a kid, my dad kept (and still keeps) a 1970-vintage (he bought it new) Sheridan Blue Streak Air Rifle by the back door. (Above the door he mounted a compact two-rifle rifle rack, and the Sheridan sat there with a box of pellets sitting on the door moulding below it. (Just high enough I couldn't reach it... [smilie=1: )

That's a handy projectile-shooter for him, somewhat quiet, but powerful and accurate. My version of the same thing is my Marlin 39A with Colibri Humingbirds in the magazine. (Holds like 19 of them!) The lever action cycles them just fine, even though they have no recoil, and the barrel is long enough, you can hardly hear them when you're shooting them with no ear protection... Also, quite accurate at back-yard ranges. I'm looking for a cheap Gen.1 night-vision scope to put on it...

Other than my work guns, which are generally on me, even when I'm off-duty, all the rest are kept in the safe.

If I ever get out into the country again, my idea of a perfect back-door gun is my Marlin 1894 44Magnum.