PDA

View Full Version : Look what followed me home.

Trey45
08-06-2009, 06:36 PM
It's my 1st Bisley gripframe, I really like it.

It really likes #429421's , I tried some ogival wadcutters I cast from a borrowed LBT mould and it didn't like them much.

WildmanJack
08-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Very, Very, pretty. What is the rod that is under the front sight?? I'm not familiar with Blackhawks so I've never seen that before. Please excuse the ignorance..
Jack

S.R.Custom
08-06-2009, 07:43 PM
That's the bayonet lug.

EDK
08-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I resisted the BISLEY grip frame for years...the DRAGOON was my favorite. But now I own almost as many BISLEYS as I do DRAGOONS...and the HUNTER (round back DRAGOON) is also excellent.

GLL had a group buy 200 grain full wadcutter that I really like...and then Blammer came up with a clone of LYMAN 429352 (250 grain wadcutter) that is even better. My VAQUEROS and SUPER BLACKHAWKS like these both sized to .432.

Like everyone else, I'm looking for the "magic boolit." The full wadcutter 44 is pretty close, but I shoot my MARLIN 44 Cowboy rifles a lot. 429244, 429667 and RANCH DOG TLC 432 365 are good choices for ammo for rifle or revolver.

Enjoy the BISLEY...and take a look at the 5.5 inch ACCU SPORTS for a second gun.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Heavy lead
08-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Very, Very, pretty. What is the rod that is under the front sight?? I'm not familiar with Blackhawks so I've never seen that before. Please excuse the ignorance..
Jack

The quick change plunger to change the front sight, standard on the SBH Hunter, Redhawk, SuperRedhawk, and GP100, push it in, take sight out, put new one in, release plunger.

EMC45
08-06-2009, 08:09 PM
That's the bayonet lug.

Awesome reply!! I laughed out loud!

Trey45
08-06-2009, 08:48 PM
That's the bayonet lug.

That's pretty funny , this is not only my 1st Bisley, but the longest barrelled pistol I own (so far). It feels like a rifle with that long barrel on there so a bayonet lug really "fits". ;)

Ekalb2000
08-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Here is a link with pic of the plunger.
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_Bisley_Hunter.htm

lathesmith
08-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I guess if you don't need your bayonet at the moment, you can always reinstall the flash-hider !!

Seriously Trey, these Bisley SBH's are great guns, and even come with scope mounts. Personally, I think a big six-shooter like this looks hideous while wearing one, but I can't argue the functionality. Besides, it is easier to use one for load development--less sighting error, which my older eyes seem to have plenty of. Enjoy!
lathesmith

Three44s
08-07-2009, 01:15 AM
I've got to get one of those bayonets for my RH and SRH!

Three 44s

insanelupus
08-07-2009, 01:30 AM
I dearly love a Bisley. I need to find someone to fit a Bisley frame to a standard SBH one of these days. First I need to find someone to do the job, then I need to save up the money to have it done! I already have the parts kit.

I much prefer the Bisleys to the standard grip frame when using heavy 44 Mag loads.

Potsy
08-07-2009, 12:20 PM
"Bayonet Lug"
It's all fun and games till coffee shoots out of my nose.

I LUV my Bisley .45 Colt. I'm really going to have to like a kid, grandkid, or nephew to keep from being buried with mine.

I'm not even real sure it's the best grip frame for a "working gun" but as far as standing up, wrapping both hands around a pistol, and hitting what it's pointed at, I've not found anything better, particularly in a single action.

Hamilton Bowen and several other pistolsmiths will gladly let you spend alot more money on a Bisley than what you originally paid for it.

Wayne Smith
08-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Trey, Irv and I have the Mihec 44/444 Cramer style mold if you want to try that. Just got to figure out when we will both be at C2.

9.3X62AL
08-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I greatly enjoy my BisHawks, currently have a 357 and a 45 Colt. I got "imprinted" very early in life on the Bisley grip frame, one of the first handguns I ever fired was a Colt Bisley in 32-20. It just felt "right", from Day One. Still does.

EDK
08-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I dearly love a Bisley. I need to find someone to fit a Bisley frame to a standard SBH one of these days. First I need to find someone to do the job, then I need to save up the money to have it done! I already have the parts kit.

I much prefer the Bisleys to the standard grip frame when using heavy 44 Mag loads.

Jim Stroh (ALPHA PRECISION) fitted BISLEY kits on 2 stainless SUPERS and a VAQUERO, along with his usual superlative trigger/action job. He did have a six month back log, so you might email him and then send a deposit to secure your place in line. All of my RUGERS have Stroh trigger jobs.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck: