PDA

View Full Version : Bought first revolver.

milkorder
08-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I just bought a EAA SA revolver in 45lc. Is it safe to carry it fully loaded? I have been told that it may not be safe to carry with a round under the hammer. Is this the case and if not is there ever a time when it is?

MT Gianni
08-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I am unfamiliar with it but the old policy for a Colt was load 1, skip 1, load 4. This left an empty under the hammer. If it is a fixed firing pin I would do the same. I would consider it safe to load six when at the range on a hot line.

bigboredad
08-06-2009, 07:35 PM
iI would not carry 6 in it i would do as mt gianna posted load one skip one and load 4 that will put aq empty chamber under your hammer

Dean D.
08-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Any revolver with a firing pin built into the hammer should be carried with the hammer resting on an empty chamber for safety sake IMO.

If you have any doubt on whether or not it is resting on an empty chamber you can look at the cylinder from the side and you should see a gap between the cylinder and frame when you are on an empty chamber. Be mindful of the direction your barrel is pointed if you do this though.

bob208
08-06-2009, 07:49 PM
i carry mine with the hammer gown between the rims of 2 cartages. if i need to carry 6. it can.t go off if the firring pin is not on a primer.

Doc_Stihl
08-06-2009, 07:51 PM
i carry mine with the hammer gown between the rims of 2 cartages. if i need to carry 6. it can.t go off if the firring pin is not on a primer.

Ummm...what's that do to the action/timing when you cock it like that????
a

Wayne Smith
08-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I believe the EAA is a standard Colt P copy. Load one, skip one, load the rest. Only carry 6 if the gun is equipped with a bar that blocks a firing pin, ala the Ruger.

9.3X62AL
08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Some years ago I had a revolver much like yours, and enjoyed it very much. It shot well, right to the sights with 250-260 grain boolits at 850-900 FPS. 8.0 to 8.5 grains of Unique did that pretty reliably.

Ya don't need to run boolits 1500 FPS when they're .452" across and weigh 250 grains to cause a deer or bad guy to keel right over--a thought lost on many handgunners today. The 45 Colt caliber in its 1873 persona was and remains an efficient, effective handgun chambering that most shooters can manage without a lot of flinch being induced.

As stated by Gianni and others, carry is safest with the hammer resting on an empty chamber.

HeavyMetal
08-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I EVEN LOAD my granddad's Ruger flat gate single six with the hammer down on an empty chamber, load one, skip one, load 4!

He sent it back for the free "conversion" ! I hate it but have not changed it back yet

softpoint
08-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Ummm...what's that do to the action/timing when you cock it like that????
a

The hand will"pickup where it left off" I carry like that sometimes, especially my Freedom arms guns, they are only 5 shot anyway, So I just rest the hammer -firing pin between rims. Still probably not as safe as it could be because the Freedom rims are recessed. If I were using a Colt or Colt clone, I'd probably still just load 5....:cbpour:

MtGun44
08-10-2009, 12:21 AM
"any revolver with the firing pin in the hammer . . . . "

This is very wrong.

All the S&W side opening revolvers from the ~1900 on or so, have the firing pin in the
hammer & are perfectly safe to carry with all cylinders full. Location of the firing pin is
not a valid indicator of the internal mechanism that may or may not make putting the
hammer over a loaded chamber safe. S&W started with the rebound slide to lift the
hammer so it could not hit the primer unless the trigger was pulled, and later added
the hammer block, too.

Bill

218bee
08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
just my .02 I carry all my six-shooters with 5 rounds and the empty cyl under hammer. Thats how I was raised and never felt I needed that sixth round. If the cylinder under the hammer is empty there are no worries

milkorder
08-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the info.

I will make sure the hammer is sitting on empty hole.

44man
08-11-2009, 08:55 AM
If you rest between chambers and can turn the cylinder to lock up by hand, it is not safe with all chambers loaded. Even a holster might turn it when you stick the gun in.
It is common with cap and ball revolvers, to set the hammer in a slot between chambers and it is safe but if there is nothing to prevent the cylinder from turning, don't do it.
There are only four gun designs I know of that are safe fully loaded, Ruger, BFR, Colt double actions and S&W. The clones are too but anything made like an original Colt single action will fire if the hammer is struck. Even Freedom says NO to a fully loaded gun.

Three44s
08-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I'd add DW's to the safe list as they are transfer bar equiped like the newer Rugers.

Three 44s

44man
08-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I'd add DW's to the safe list as they are transfer bar equiped like the newer Rugers.

Three 44s
I forgot them and maybe a few more too.

mroliver77
08-12-2009, 04:59 PM
EAA "Bounty Hunter" Colt type revolvers have a transfer bar safety system. Safe to carry six.
http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-revolvers-blue-description.html
Jay

Heavy lead
08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
I always carry all revolvers without one in front of the hammer regardless of type or generation or safety, even my 642 gets carried in my pocket with only 4.

44man
08-13-2009, 09:20 AM
EAA "Bounty Hunter" Colt type revolvers have a transfer bar safety system. Safe to carry six.
http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-revolvers-blue-description.html
Jay
Good to see, I would not worry about filling it up.

Four Fingers of Death
08-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Loading five in a gun that has a transfer bar safety (like the millions of S&Ws carried and used by millions of law enforcement for their entire careers) is like driving a car and not putting it in top gear. Fill er' up! I load five when I shoot SASS as the rules require, but 6 the rest of the time.