PDA

View Full Version : Johnson wax?

singleshotbuff
03-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Gentlemen,

I've read bits & pieces in a couple of threads about using Johnson Wax for, or in, a boolit lube. Can anyone expound on this? What specifically is used? Is it used straight or mixed with other stuff? Just curious as I'm getting into experimenting with home made lubes and I might want to try this. I kinda favor pretty soft lubes right now as I'm shooting low velocity pistol rounds, and I do not have a heater for my Lubri-sizer yet.

Thanks

SSB

tall grass
03-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Singleshot

I've got a 45-70 Marlin that the barrel isn't broke in yet. Before I polished the bore it would lead with liquid alox before it would with the J-wax. I can't remember the exact velocities but as I recall I was able to get almost 1400f/s before it started to lead.

The method for coating is to get a fruit jar / mayo jar (I like glass). Put in a handfull or two of bullets. Add a small gob of J-wax, 1 level table spoon maybe, it doesn't take alot. I like them to look good and wet. Set it in a sunny spot until the wax has melted and tumble the bullets around good. Dump them out on some wax paper and let them dry over night and they are ready to go.

If it isn't warm outside I have run the jar under some hot water until the wax softens up. The more the wax is melted the more even the coat of wax is. The wax is nice and hard when it's dry, no sticky boolits.

Remember that Johnsons Wax is flameable and the solvents in it do smell.

Jim

carpetman
03-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Besides the L,whats the difference in a gob and a glob? Glob is not in my dictionary,but I know it's a word,I see it all time in here. But then again dictionaries arent too consistent because consistant is not in there and I see that all time too.

singleshotbuff
03-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Tall,

Is this Johnson wax just a brand of automotive wax? Will it work in lube grooves, pan lubed??

Thanks

SSB

slughammer
03-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Besides the L,whats the difference in a gob and a glob? Glob is not in my dictionary,but I know it's a word,I see it all time in here. But then again dictionaries arent too consistent because consistant is not in there and I see that all time too.

They are both words. If I'm reading these correctly, a gob is bigger than a glob.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/glob

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/gob

I beat Wills!
[smilie=w:

slughammer
03-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Tall,

Is this Johnson wax just a brand of automotive wax? Will it work in lube grooves, pan lubed??

Thanks

SSB

Johnsons is a furniture polish. I found it at the Ace Hardware in the cleaning products section. I haven't used it, but have considered it.

Bret4207
03-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Uncle Ray- I'm glad you brought up this gob/glob subject. Just the other day I was saying to my good friend Professor Elmo F Higgenbothom, (Yes, the very same Professor Elmo F Higgenbothom you're all thinking of!), that the lack of precise lanuage in America today is one of the main causes of juvenile delinquency, global warming and fat girls in spandex. Elmo stated he was in complete agreement and added that pre-mature balding was related to imprecise language use and further stated that run on sentences also contributed to the lack of moral outrage one would considier appropriate in such a country as ours, whose fore-fathers fought and died, lost homes, fortunes, and loved ones in the never ending battle against tyrany in all it's forms and as evidenced by the furher degradation and outright lack of moral fiber so readily apparant in todays youth, nay, even our senior citizenry whose own history is resplendant in examples of what the lack of precise lanuage and use of run on sentences brings forth when allowed to procreate in the seemilngly vast cesspool of the modern comunications system known as "the internet" which is an imprecise term for the downfall of American culture and moral standards which presents itself in the everyday mis-sue of terms such and gob and glob.

I thought his precise and, frankly, terse observation would be of interest to all of us.

chunkum
03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
The Johnson's I've used in the fruit jar method is a paste floor wax with a high carnuba content. Likely it'd make a good furniture polish too, or they may even make such a product. At any rate, the fruit jar method works. I've used an infrared heat lamp when the sun wasn't shining and it did good. SingleShotBuff, I've considered trying it as a pan lube but haven't gotten around tuit yet. If you try it, post how it does. I can't see why it wouldn't do good.
c.

versifier
03-31-2006, 08:03 PM

A gob is what fits on your finger as in "glom a gob of it out of the can", a glob is an indeterminate amount that holds together and varies according to how well it holds together as in "a glob of that %!!#ing axel grease spit out of the gun and got me in the eye whilst I was looking up trying to get it where it's supposed to go". Depending on what the stuff in question is, they can be the same amount. :roll: All clear now? :mrgreen:

floodgate
03-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Bret:

"Uncle Ray- I'm glad you brought up this gob/glob subject. Just the other day I was saying to my good friend Professor Elmo F Higgenbothom, (Yes, the very same Professor Elmo F Higgenbothom you're all thinking of!), that the lack of precise lanuage in America today is one of the main causes of juvenile delinquency, global warming..."

You bring up something that really BUGS me; the continual reference to "global warming"!

Warming of some sort there may be - the jury is still out on this - but PLEASE, refer to it by some other modifier - "World-Wide warming", perhaps.

The use of the word - "GLOBAL", here and in other phrases such as "global economy", "global village", etc., etc,., ad nauseam - presupposes acceptance of the TOTALLY unproven "round earth" hypothesis!

Elmo F(loodgate) Higginbotham

StarMetal
03-31-2006, 10:30 PM
floodgate,

This global warming (errrr world wide warming) is a bunch of ********. So is the ozone layer depleting. You know what the biggest destroyer of ozone is? Volcanoes. The ozone has gotten holes in it, then they would get smaller, then larger, since the earth has been created. I'm tired of these enviromental wackos causing trouble.

Joe

454PB
03-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Don't ***** foot Joe, tell us how you really feel!

wills
03-31-2006, 10:51 PM
I thought a gob was a sailor.

Slowpoke
03-31-2006, 10:56 PM
I thought a gob was a sailor.

Simply amazing, i thought a gob was a bunch :)

buck1
03-31-2006, 11:28 PM
floodgate,

This global warming (errrr world wide warming) is a bunch of ********. So is the ozone layer depleting. You know what the biggest destroyer of ozone is? Volcanoes. The ozone has gotten holes in it, then they would get smaller, then larger, since the earth has been created. I'm tired of these enviromental wackos causing trouble.

Joe

And if anyone knows about hot air , Its Joe! LOL! HA HA HA HA HA!
Just kidding buddy!
Sorry I couldnt miss out on all the fun!!....Buck

waksupi
03-31-2006, 11:44 PM
floodgate,

Joe

Yup. Ditto. We are always either going into, or coming out of an ice age. I'm glad we are coming out, at the time. Glaciers melting in Glacier National Park? Suppose that may have anything to do with some of the largest wildfires ever seen around here the past few years, and depositing inches of dark, hot ash, on the surface of the glaciers? Hmmmm, go figure......
Nuclear winter? Remember hearing about when Krakatoa went off? Effects for years, because of sun blockage. Should have seen the fires in the mountains. Looked like an ongoing nuclear explosion going on, for weeks and months on end.
Yup. Global warming, alright. With the Forest Service letting YOUR forests burn, at the cost of lives and homes. And I haven't seen them make any sensible laws against those damn volcanoes going off. If they would only stop them, then we would be OK.

StarMetal
03-31-2006, 11:52 PM
One thing that is going on now and for the next few years are solar storms. Yup...supposely the worse in many years and suppose to affect alot of radio wave transmissions.

Joe

KevMT
04-01-2006, 01:07 AM
One of the most common side notes given about "global climate change" is that human diseases will increase in turn. The alleged link between Hantavirus and the el nino as an example.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/12/1206_051206_hantavirus_2.html

Let me tell you folks ,as someone who knows, the alleged "link" is nothing but a bunch of pompous Professors trying to convince you of how important they are. There is no direct link between el nino and hantavirus let alone with global climate change per se. But that doesn't keep the pointy heads from pontificating and drumming up new research money.

Bret4207
04-01-2006, 08:19 AM
To return to reality for a moment- "Global warming" or cooling for that matter, is a natural cyclic event. But the hue and cry today is a the result of the melding of forces such as the former Communist types-(now The Green Party), scientists who used to worked in the defense industry, (there is a direct corelation, or so I've read, between the shutting down of the defense industry after the USSR fell and the warming hype with many of the same names involved. They gotta eat I guess), natural events like solar flares and the reported fact the earth is some many hundreds of thousands of miles closer to the sun at this point than it was just a few years ago. Some of the same guys who are crying wolf about warming were the same guys crying wolf about "The Coming Ice Age" just 25 years ago. It's crap, pure and simple. (I'll refrain from forgetting myself and using the baser term for bovine waste as some members seem to find so necessary). Add in the "fad of the month club" types- students, actors, singers, politicians- and the UN types who are looking for a way to take our money and turn it into their money and you have a large group of screaming, panicked, ninnies running around foretelling certain disaster. Of course our news media, so well known for their in depth research and objectivity reports every claim and idea as gospel truth. A sad, sad stae of affairs.

We now return to our regularly broadcast show-

Flood, or may I call you Elmo in public? I meant no offense by making reference to "global warming". I'm sure you'll understand that we have to bring the "lesser types" along with us in a slow and gradual fashion. If I was, for instance, to let on about your research into cosmic dust powered flying automobiles or your megatronic hyperbolic flatulence detector there may well be angry mobs of these peasants rioting in the street. I apologize for not consulting with you first. I'll go now and put on my sub-space communications helmet and you can transmit instructions on how I should proceed next.

Your Obeidient Servant- Nexus 67

Cayoot
04-01-2006, 01:44 PM
I would now declare that this thread has been completly and officially "HI-JACKED"

bruce drake
04-01-2006, 02:23 PM
So to comprise the thread.

Just what would be the suggested max velocity for a Johnson Wax lube?

I've got a tin on the shelf here that I used to use on my boots and can realign its use to bullets if the lube is good enough.

Bruce

Cayoot
04-01-2006, 03:45 PM
So to comprise the thread.

Just what would be the suggested max velocity for a Johnson Wax lube?

I've got a tin on the shelf here that I used to use on my boots and can realign its use to bullets if the lube is good enough.

Bruce

I have read (here in the CB forum) but not proved myself, that Johnson's has been used with good results past 1500 fps, which is faster than I have ever used a tumble lube (alone) for.

I'm looking forward to trying it.

buck1
04-01-2006, 03:54 PM
For me, the 44 mag was just a bit too much for the wax . I bet 45 colt class loads would work well. up to say 1100FPS or so. .......buck

Bret4207
04-01-2006, 06:37 PM
HIJACKED!!?? You think THIS is highjacked?! Have you ever seen what Uncle Ray the Carpetman can do with the mere mention of something as innocuous as say, a flannel cleaning patch? That will lead him into wool, which of course leads to SHEEP and by then it's "Good night Irene"! I've seen posts on handsize and grip prefrences turn into 7 or 8 pages of argument over a loading manual from the 50's.

We may not be brilliant, but we sure are good natured about things like this.

bruce drake
04-01-2006, 06:48 PM
This particular breed of German sheep are known for thier aggressive nature. Not advised for penning with any French or Polish breeds. Thier preferred caliber is roughly 8 pounds.:drinks:

Bruce

Cayoot
04-01-2006, 10:16 PM
HIJACKED!!?? You think THIS is highjacked?! Have you ever seen what Uncle Ray the Carpetman can do with the mere mention of something as innocuous as say, a flannel cleaning patch? That will lead him into wool, which of course leads to SHEEP and by then it's "Good night Irene"! I've seen posts on handsize and grip prefrences turn into 7 or 8 pages of argument over a loading manual from the 50's.

We may not be brilliant, but we sure are good natured about things like this.

Of course, you are right! This is part of the reason I enjoy this forum so much. Regardless of where a thread starts...you just never know where it will go!!!:drinks: