PDA

View Full Version : A brick of bullets!!

qajaq59
08-06-2009, 07:20 AM
We retired 8 years ago and have been traveling the country ever since in our motor home, always following the good weather. Never too hot, never too cold. Just sort of nice and in between. And I've loaded on many picnic tables along the way. However we settled into a house a few weeks ago here in southern Florida where it gets hot in the summer. And boy, I mean hot.

After getting my loading room set up I went out to the RV and got my cast, lubed and sized bullets out of the outside bin, where they been sitting for quite a while. I wanted to shoot the next day so I figured I better load them. Well, guess what? They were a solid mass cemented together with sticky, half solidified goo!!! Now that's what you call a brick of bullets!!
:groner:

However, they were fine once I boiled them well and put on new lube.

475/480
08-06-2009, 07:25 AM
LOL , Ooouch!
At least you were able to fix the problem.

Sean

leadman
08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I store my boolits in the garage here in Phoenix. Temps. have been 106 to 114 everyday for at least a month.
So for none of my boolits lubed with LBT Blue Soft have had the lube melt. It is a little softer than normal but still o.k.
Alox does not do well here.

SciFiJim
08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Alox does not do well here.

I thought Alox was one of the better hot weather lubes. I am still pretty new at this thing. Are your referring to tumble lubing with Alox or using a lubrisizer with a mix of Alox and a solid lube?

I live in the CA desert with similar summer temps and I'm looking for the ideal summer lube that won't melt off of the boolits.

GLynn41
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
alox has a low melt temp --so it is not at its best in the hot

hugh
08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
i just learned something tanks.

1Shirt
08-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Just another reason why I am happy to live in Nebraska!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

geargnasher
08-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I store my alox-lubed boolits in boxes in my spare refrigerator because Texas heat gets pretty bad too. Only problem is they "sweat" if I take them out into a hot room, so I take them out the night before I want to load them and put them in the air conditioning.

I sometimes use Carnauba Red, but I think I'll try BAC. Anybody know how it does in the heat?

Gear

fastgun
08-06-2009, 07:36 PM
We don't have that problem in Wisconsin, but it gets a little cold in Janurary. I wonder if frozen lube works well.

azjohn
08-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I tried alox for the first and last time last spring. My feed ramp got gummed up real fast. I could shoot a magazine and then have to wipe it off. This could be why.
http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/foodforthought/15899/

Jon K
08-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I store my alox-lubed boolits in boxes in my spare refrigerator because Texas heat gets pretty bad too. Only problem is they "sweat" if I take them out into a hot room, so I take them out the night before I want to load them and put them in the air conditioning.

I sometimes use Carnauba Red, but I think I'll try BAC. Anybody know how it does in the heat?

Gear

BAC & BPCR Supreme, both of those hold up well in the heat. My heat test for the lube....I lube and let it sit on the workbench in the shed...in the summer triple digit heat, if the lube is still on the boolit, after about 3 days, I'm happy.
Not very scientific.........but good enough for me.

Jon

Shiloh
08-06-2009, 11:26 PM
We don't have that problem in Wisconsin, but it gets a little cold in Janurary. I wonder if frozen lube works well.

I live in the upper mid-west. My basement gets darn cold in late fall and winter. Even the softer, non heat lubes need to be warmed up.

In the dead of winter, I can see my breath down there.

Shiloh