PDA

View Full Version : New at castin round balls

hobbles
03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Well Boys, it ain't PC, and it ain't Lee, but it's doin the job, And this old longhaired redneck likes it, I seen the ingot mold on the Lee sight for $11.25, I found this at a yard sale this mornin for $6, I guess this was a cookie maker or some such,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/ingot.jpg
0k, let me hear it,, if your pickin on me then your leavin some one else alone ;>)~~

carpetman
03-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Hobles---Cant believe a good ol boy from Ky doesnt recognize that as a cornbread maker. BTW you don't need to keep ingots in an ice chest--they wont spoil.

44man
03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Ooooh, The Indestructable Butt Wipe!

hobbles
03-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Hobles---Cant believe a good ol boy from Ky doesnt recognize that as a cornbread maker. BTW you don't need to keep ingots in an ice chest--they wont spoil.

Afternoon carpetman,,
I got here in Kentucky in 03, I came from out west ((so.cal))
wont spoil. huh,, Ahhhh, now it begins,, ;>)~~

hobbles
03-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Ooooh, The Indestructable Butt Wipe!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/icons/rotf.gif

hobbles
03-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Step one is done,, I am open for any/all advice,, I've always been one tree shy of a hammock, I can use all the help I can get,,,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/1st-batch.jpg

Doble Troble
03-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Looks good enough to eat.

D.Mack
03-30-2006, 10:37 PM
I've got a whole box of those 1/2 a cob ingots under the bench, and they work just fine. If I happen on one at a yard sale or flea market for a buck or two it goes home with me, but yesterday I was up in Eureka Ca. and had to pass on one in a antique store for $20, it was in good shape though, in fact it looked almost new. DM

onceabull
03-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Geez ,Guys: I thought the Lincoln City,Or. tourist shops were the only west coast place to get corncob mould value priced... Onceabull

wills
03-31-2006, 12:19 AM
can get new ones for less than $20

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/products1.asp?idDept=1410&menu=logic

jballs918
03-31-2006, 12:43 AM
mine was 4.95 brand new and i works well

Blackwater
03-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Hey hobbles, ya' know, if ya' got some yellow paint and ..... nah! A good ol' KY boy would NEVER do somethin' like THAT ..... would ya'???? [smilie=1: ;) [smilie=l: :redneck:

hobbles
03-31-2006, 06:03 AM
Hey hobbles, ya' know, if ya' got some yellow paint and ..... nah! A good ol' KY boy would NEVER do somethin' like THAT ..... would ya'???? [smilie=1: ;) [smilie=l: :redneck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/icons/rotf.gif
I'll save some for Christmass gifts, Can't be worse then fruit cake,,

hobbles
03-31-2006, 06:14 AM
Mornin Boys, When I get my Lee 527 molds, What's the first thing I should do to them? I read that the first cast can ruin em if not done right, I hear I oil the groves?? and clean the mold then use candle smoke on em, I guess I re candle smoke em when the balls start stickin?? Ya I know,, get a book,, Only thing with books is the info in it is what the writer thinks/does, On here I get a LOT of info, And you boys went through the stuff that didn't work and fine tuned it,,, I am also readin a lot of past posts,,

threett1
03-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Think I'll get a perch pan.

HORNET
03-31-2006, 08:10 AM
hobbles,
Not much to it with LEE molds. Clean the blocks up good with soap and water, maybe a light scrub with cleanser an toothbrush, mask the cavities and venting area with masking tape, coat the alingment v's with graphite or moly-d,peel off the tape, smoke the cavities with a butane lighter (candles can leave a residue that inhibits fillout), pre-heat them suckers and run lead. DO NOT LUBE THE MOLD WITH BEESWAX- it blocks up the vents and is generally a bad thing to put into the mold.[smilie=b:
There are a couple of archive files on this board on upgrading LEE molds under "LEEMENTING" that you might want to review first but they generally aren't too bad to use. :bigsmyl2:
Give a holler if you hit any problems. There's lots of experience available here.[smilie=s:

hobbles
03-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Mornin HORNET and thanks,,

carpetman
03-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Hobbles--Whatever are you doing stacking those ingots like that? They will dry out. You need to keep them in an ice chest.

carpetman
03-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Hobbles---Your first guess was that your new ingot mold was a cookie mold. Cookies aren't molded. They use cutters to get their shape. Now you could mold some Jello in it. Pineapple would be yellow and look ok for a corncobb shape. Don't know if using the same mold for ingots and Jello would be a problem???????? I have never read nor heard one word about it. I did hear that Confusious said that woman that cooks carrots and peas in the same pot is unsanitary.

hobbles
03-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Mornin carpetman
Well, I can sea (x-Navy) I gotta keep on my toes round here,, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/icons/rotf.gif

versifier
03-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Sounds like you'll be right at home here. Watch out for the sheep. [smilie=1:

slughammer
03-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Step one is done,, I am open for any/all advice,,

Step two is to get your wife to come out of the house so you can show her the stack of ingots.
Sure, she'll try to mask her excitement by acting like she's not interested. When the akward silence is done, it's best to let her return to the house alone so she can call her friends and brag about you in private.

Read the section on Leementing a new mold.

hobbles
04-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Mornin Boys,
I took one of the ingots back to the tire shop I got the ww's from and showed the boss that I talked to the other day, He like the looks of it, so, I ask him if he wanted it, He said yes, So I gave it to him and we talked a bit, He told me to stop in any time and pick the ww's, They will now save em for me, We shook hands when I left,, I made a friend, Loadin Muzzles does that ya know,
Got the stove and stuff orderd, Now I got to wait,, You boys will get a break from my questions for a bit, But not fer long,,, Life is good,,,

D.Mack
04-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Hobbles I'm sorry, I didn't catch this sooner, but you said these were for round balls. You may have a small problem shooting W-W's in a muzzle loader. W-W's are harder than pure lead, and will cast slightly larger. This may mean you can have trouble seating your ball,and have to go to a thinner patch, and the ball may not obiturate to fill the grooves on firing. I learned this the hard way, after casting about 500 maxi-balls for 50 hawken, I had to drive them into the barrel, so instead of a tap to get them started, it took a heavy thud. Also second shots were really slow. Then again it might work in your gun, so try it, but if it don't you will know why, and shinny ingots are great trading material to someone with pure lead, or you can start casting for a cartridge type bullet. DM

waksupi
04-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Don't worry aboutthe WW's for round balls. I've been using them for over thirty years. A ML is like any other rifle, you need to shoot the proper size bullet for the bore. In the case of ML, the standard patching is pillow ticking. Then, you find the ball that works with that. Most of the store bought patches aren't worth a damn, and will blow out.
The WW RB will shoot as well as a pure Pb ball. And they give the plus of slightly greater penetration for hunting.

hiram
04-01-2006, 11:59 AM
What does moly-d peel off tape do for the mold?

hobbles
04-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi Boys, I had a guy from a muzzle loadin board send me some 527 ww balls he made to try, This is the post I sent him,,

Mornin quigleysharps4570
I just thought I would let you know/sea what your 527 ww balls can do compared to store bought 530s, I am gettin 527 molds thanks to you, Again I thank you for taken the time and sendin me some to try,
I owe ya my friend,, JW
This is at 50 yards

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/527s.jpg

I got a Green Mountain 54 cal barrel from TOW and Boys, it out shoots both T/C barrels I got from them,, even the 1 in 66 twist for rounds balls. Don't get me wrong, I like T/C, I ALSO like GM,,
And as we all know, every barrel is different, what works for one, may not work for the other,
D.Mack,, Thanks for the info, I am just lucky, but they work with my barrel,,

hobbles
04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Well boys, All the right parts came in and I made 300 balls this mornin, They came out pretty darn good too!, I found a important fact out tho,, I found out that if the balls don't come out right, to come back on here and re-read the directions you all gave me ,, Then, if they still don't come out right, then follow the directions you all gave me on here,, Life is good,,,