PDA

View Full Version : OM Blackhawk 357 $$

Sprue
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
In your opinion, whats top dollar for a 1966 BH 6.5 inch .357 in decent shape?

It has a ding here and there, bluing is good over all for its age. Has Original stocks with a ding or two on along the bottom edges.

I'm picky but this one could work itself into the corral.

Tks

ebner glocken
08-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Around here anything under 300 is good, use judgement above that.

Ebner

nicholst55
08-05-2009, 05:17 PM
A lot depends on your location. I seldom see them advertised for less than $350-400; frequently north of that figure. A lot of folks are buying unconverted Old Model .357 Rugers to convert to larger calibers, and they're willing to spend the money to do it.

A really cherry OM could easily bring $500 or (significantly) more from a collector, also.

S.R.Custom
08-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Saddle-worn and battle-hardened specimens go for $250-275 retail around here.

As with anything not NIB, condition is in the eye of the beholder. Open your wallet accordingly.

Sprue
08-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Well its take it or leave it at 325 + tax. I thought that was about par for this area.

Be it as it may, personally I think that gun prices in this state are by far, more expensive than most. Most of the prices for used guns are insane actually. (note: I'm not in any way referring to this peticular gun)

You know, we always see questions just like I'm soliciting here throughout the gun community. Unfortunately as it is, most price quotes are usually a lot lower than what the actual costs are around here. Around here, you don't see anything for much less than five bills.

Now a deal can be found every once in a while, but seldom.

So yes, prices do vary quite a bit from locale to locale.

Thanks for your reply

Crash_Corrigan
08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I had a good friend in my church who had some health issues and needed funds to pay some medical bills.

He had been a business owner here in Vegas and his office was next door to a decent gun shop. He liked the owner and started to buy guns on a regular basis. He was not a shooter he just admired them. He would buy one a leave it in the box and stick it in the closet.

He ended up with quite a collection and he wanted to sell them off. I put a bunch of them on Auction Arms and he did pretty well.

Other than a complete set of blued Smith 29's the gun that attracted me the most was a OM RBH in 357. He also had a decent and unused Hunter leather holster and belt and I asked him to hold on to this one as I wanted it.

It was in perfect condition. Not a mark on it and not even a line on the cylinder. When the transaction was finally done he shows up at church with the original box, receipt and two boxes of ammo. One was a box of Winchesters priced at $7.45 and a box of Winchester Silver Tip 145 Grainers for $9.25. Breaks your heart doesn't it.

The orgininal sales slip was for $148.85 and there was a bonus. In a nice little red flannel sack was a 9 MM cylinder with the gun's serial number engraved into the cylinder face. He had never opened the sack and was surprised to find out what it was for.

This was the OM not the flatop. It has ears to protect the rear sights but not the updated safety stuff nor warnings on the barrel.

I gave him $500 for the entire shebang and was a very happy fella. The gun is a tackdriver and a joy to shoot. The balance is just perfect and it fills my hand just right. I have since picked up a NM BH in 45 Colt/.45 ACP with a 4 5/8 bbl and a brass frame and a 30 Carbine OM with a 7 1/2 bbl. As nice as they are I favor the OM 357 the most.

I could have paid less for the gun and he would have been happy but I felt that I could afford it and he needed the money more than I did. This gun will be the last gun I would ever sell. I believe it would be a very valuable asset WTSHTF as it can utilize both any 38 or 357 and the whole family of 9 MM luger ammo.

Not many folks bothered to cast and reload 9 MM's in the past due to the ready availiability and low price of surplus ammo but today a box of 9's can be pretty costly

The lady in the red is my ex and the gaunt gent is my Friend Foster McDonald.

Sprue
08-06-2009, 09:52 PM
I had a good friend in my church who had some health issues and needed funds to pay some medical bills.

He had been a business owner here in Vegas and his office was next door to a decent gun shop. He liked the owner and started to buy guns on a regular basis. He was not a shooter he just admired them. He would buy one a leave it in the box and stick it in the closet.

He ended up with quite a collection and he wanted to sell them off. I put a bunch of them on Auction Arms and he did pretty well.

Other than a complete set of blued Smith 29's the gun that attracted me the most was a OM RBH in 357. He also had a decent and unused Hunter leather holster and belt and I asked him to hold on to this one as I wanted it.

It was in perfect condition. Not a mark on it and not even a line on the cylinder. When the transaction was finally done he shows up at church with the original box, receipt and two boxes of ammo. One was a box of Winchesters priced at $7.45 and a box of Winchester Silver Tip 145 Grainers for $9.25. Breaks your heart doesn't it.

The orgininal sales slip was for $148.85 and there was a bonus. In a nice little red flannel sack was a 9 MM cylinder with the gun's serial number engraved into the cylinder face. He had never opened the sack and was surprised to find out what it was for.

This was the OM not the flatop. It has ears to protect the rear sights but not the updated safety stuff nor warnings on the barrel.

I gave him $500 for the entire shebang and was a very happy fella. The gun is a tackdriver and a joy to shoot. The balance is just perfect and it fills my hand just right. I have since picked up a NM BH in 45 Colt/.45 ACP with a 4 5/8 bbl and a brass frame and a 30 Carbine OM with a 7 1/2 bbl. As nice as they are I favor the OM 357 the most.

I could have paid less for the gun and he would have been happy but I felt that I could afford it and he needed the money more than I did. This gun will be the last gun I would ever sell. I believe it would be a very valuable asset WTSHTF as it can utilize both any 38 or 357 and the whole family of 9 MM luger ammo.

Not many folks bothered to cast and reload 9 MM's in the past due to the ready availiability and low price of surplus ammo but today a box of 9's can be pretty costly

The lady in the red is my ex and the gaunt gent is my Friend Foster McDonald.

Oh thats a beauty right there Crash, nice one.

I'm just now getting around to liking the Ruger SA's. I'm still thinking on that RBH. The only thing holding me back is that 357 part. Its not like I have only a couple in that caliber. Last night though, I don't know how many times I counted it before falling to sleep.

McLintock
08-07-2009, 02:37 PM
The big "if" on Ruger 3 screws is whether they've been converted or not by the factory to the "new" type lockwork. The lock work can run over a $100 if it isn't included with the gun. If not converted, I'd say $325 out the door is very good for a decent one, particularly since it's not a prefix serial numbered one. If it was early enough to have 1/16th high serial numbers over the later 1/8th inch high ones, it'd be even a better deal. If it had the small numbers and was a convertible, it'd be a great deal, even better would be a 4 5/8's inch barreled convertible with the small #'s.
McLintock

Charlie Sometimes
08-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Around here, that is about as good as it gets, especially for the OM- everybody is pricing things higher due to the Obama effect.
If it is what you have been looking for grab it- since it is in 357 you already have everything to support the care and feeding of it! The 357's are a little heavier, though- more metal in the barrel and cylinder (a few ounces). It helps in managing recoil in the jacked up loads.

I prefer the 4 5/8 barrel (better for carrying), unless I use it for hunting- I am still looking for that 7 1/2 Bisley in 45 Colt.

EDK
08-09-2009, 11:22 AM
First center fire pistol I bought was a 6.5 inch Old Model 357/9 mm in 1970. It cost me under $100....my Viet Nam veterans bonus from the state of Illinois.

I just paid $375 for a 4 5/8ths 357/9 mm convertible old model...no box, papers, etc BUT appears unfired and no cylinder ring....AND not factory safety converted. I prefer 6 1/2 barrels, but this gun was too good to pass on.

A clean Old Model is d*** near impossible to find locally, especially at a decent price. If you get it off the internet from an auction or individual, you have to figure $50+ for shipping and transfer fees...got burned on that one BIG TIME once with "Buyer pays actual shipping costs."

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

atr
08-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I just saw a .357 Ruger Blackhawk in Dicks Gun and Pawn,,Tonasket WA,,,for $350.00....it was about 90% to 95%

Sprue
08-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Around here, that is about as good as it gets, especially for the OM- everybody is pricing things higher due to the Obama effect.
If it is what you have been looking for grab it- since it is in 357 you already have everything to support the care and feeding of it! The 357's are a little heavier, though- more metal in the barrel and cylinder (a few ounces). It helps in managing recoil in the jacked up loads.

I prefer the 4 5/8 barrel (better for carrying), unless I use it for hunting- I am still looking for that 7 1/2 Bisley in 45 Colt.

I noticed that the Bisley 45C I told you about is now gone. Did you buy it?

Charlie Sometimes
08-14-2009, 09:53 PM
No! I wish it was me, but I've had several appointments and missed getting down there. Better luck next time, I guess.
I saw some 5 1/2" SS Bisley 45 Colt/45 ACP convertables on the Ruger forum. THAT would be exactly what I would like to have! Might have to sell my unfired SS ROA to get one.