PDA

View Full Version : Storage of BP

Circuit Rider
08-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Guys, would like opinions on the storage of BP. I know a number of stores no longer carry it because of storage requirements. I am of the opinion if it is in it's own closed container, in a sealed ammo box, in a dry cool area, with no possibility of sparks, it would be safe. The only thing I see would be the building catching fire, by then it's too late anyway. Insurance would be a concern I'm sure. Maybe I'm getting old and forgetful and missing the obvious. Circuit Rider

Springfield
08-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Don't put it in an ammo box that is strong, it just makes a nice bomb. Put it in something that will not contain a blast but will still keep out sparks and flame. I store mine in a real cheap toolbox lined with wood too keep down the electrical conductivity. If it eventually catches fire it will just burn, not explode.

357maximum
08-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I keep mine in the can it came in on the shelf in the closet with the rest of my powder. I figure if the house ever goes up I will never notice the 12 lbs of black sitting with the 100lbs of smokeless. Add in a few K of loaded rounds, and it will all just go whooosh and make clean up easier. We live in an old drafty P.O.S farmhouse with the intention of building out back some day and burying this one anyway. It came with the property and it keeps the rain off our stuff for now, but someday I am gonna have a :twisted:wry:twisted: smile on my face while I crush this box into a hole in the earth with a great big ol trackhoe.

cajun shooter
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
If you read the history of BP making you will see that Springfield posted what was done here and elsewhere. They built the powder buildings with cracks in the wall that you could see out of. The idea being that the less confinement, gives you the smaller blast. The government sees fit to pass rules that makes the container dangerous. The storing in it's original container and away from any possible heat, sparks, or flames makes it very easy to care for.

August
08-05-2009, 10:37 PM
What is practical and what is legal are probably very different things. ATF has strict rules about correct storage methods and quantities for black powder. An individual, like you or me, is not high on their radar. However, our local emporium went through a year of hell because they had 51 cans of black powder in their store, which was one can over the 50 can limit imposed by ATF in the absence of a sophisticated magazine for storage. It is a big deal to ATF, I assure you.

Now, guys like you and me might be in a world of hurt with our insurance company if anything bad happened as a result of deviating from ATF guidelines for storage of propellents (smokeless powder) and explosives (black powder). Best advice, I'm sure, is to know the rules and to follow them.

montana_charlie
08-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Guys, would like opinions on the storage of BP.
If you don't provide an idea of how much powder you are talking about, the 'opinions' will be all over the place.
CM

mazo kid
08-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I store my powder in an old hanging file cabinet, lined with wood and the top loosely laying on top. I have a rope attached and that is near the door, so in an emergency,the box can be pulled out the door without entering. We can store up to 50# of black powder without going to the Federally mandated approved magazine.

Circuit Rider
08-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Charlie, I usually have about 30 to 35 lb. of BP, and 40 lb or so of Smokeless. Have around 25,000 primers, but keep them in the safe. Circuit Rider:castmine:

McLintock
08-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Several years ago I frequented a forum called Frontierspot.net or org., that's no longer on the air. They discussed black powder storage and put a set of plans on the site that was supposed to be in compliance with National Fire codes and such. Following that plan I came up with this box, made from 2X's and pegged together with wooden dowels. It holds 25 lbs or so and has worked for me very well; course I haven't had a fire to test it with and hope not to. If a fire were to start I could grad it pretty easily and move it outside.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/2593806/371375701.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/2593806/371375703.jpg
McLintock

Lead Fred
08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
/CONCUR

with the pics above. I have my cans in a wooden box, in a drak corner of the closet dead center in the house.

Dark and cool

UweJ
08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
What is the smallest size spare gasoline cannister made out of plastic. According to law they have to be antistatic and breaking resistant. For storage itīll do and you can transport quite a bunch without anyone noticing,lol.

cajun shooter
08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey UweJ, The wall is down and the East Germans are not watching.

montana_charlie
08-11-2009, 01:34 PM
What is the smallest size spare gasoline cannister made out of plastic.
Sure makes a mess when my wife fills the lawn mower with Goex Cartridge...

CM