PDA

View Full Version : Who can reline a handgun barrel?

Charlie Sometimes
08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
This might not be the right place to ask this (move it if necessary moderators), but who would be a good choice to reline the barrel in an old S&W breaktop in 38 S&W caliber?
The bore is pitted, but shoots really well with 358 sized boolits. The gun has lost a lot of the original nickel finish, too, but is in really great shape otherwise. Might even consider having it renickeled.

Who can do both well, at a fair price?

targetshootr
08-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Aren't those inexpensive little bitty guns?

Bret4207
08-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Inexpensive? Not in their day, they were made to the same quality as other Smiths of the day. Itty bitty? Depends on you interpretation. My Perfected Model 38 S+W is larger than my 22 Kit gun or 38 Body Guard.

If it shoots good why reline it? If you insist I'd talk to Redmond or any of the other 'smiths who specialize in relining and see what they say. There is additional work to do ( or at least some claim there is) in relining a revolver.

StarMetal
08-05-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm confused...if it shoots real well why mess with it unless you're getting terrible terrible leading because of the pits???

Joe

Calamity Jake
08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking the barrel is to thin to be relined!!!

targetshootr
08-05-2009, 09:59 AM
A local guy found a bunch of them inside his wall once. He'd gone to the beach and left his guys to take out a wall but when he let them go he didn't get much for the top breaks. He did ok on the rest , Lugers, P 38s, 1911s, .32 pocket models, etc.,... 30 or so pre-war guns.

Charlie Sometimes
08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I really like the gun. Yes, it shoots good, but when I clean it, it just looks like heck, and I think it would be really nice restored- a real keeper then.

Mostly, it is just a thought rolling around in the back of my head right now. You know how you gradually add to ideas until you either do it or forget it- that 's what this is right now. Early stages of some form of mania/demitia!

Why couldn't I find stuff like that in MY walls?

Charlie Sometimes
08-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't think that there would be much extra to do to a revolver that's not done to a rifle. These "itty-bitty" ones though don't have any surfaces that would easily lend themselves to set up in a machine, I would think. They might be too thin, but that might depend on the operator skill and liner OD too.

When I am done cleaning a firearm, I like to see a smooth and shiny bore. It kills me to see those pits.

StrawHat
08-06-2009, 06:16 AM
Charlie,

If anyone can do a handgun reline, it would be these guys. They wrote the book on early S&W. Look at some of their work.

http://www.oldwestgunsmith.com/

Good luck.