PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Bass Pro

peter nap
08-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I bought a Lee Turret press. It was the only one left (Display) got it home and whoever put it together, stripped a screw. I didn't bother taking it back. Lee sent me the part.

Then I bought Their Classic Press, I just looked in the box and half the parts including the handle are missing.

I bought one of the RCBS cheapie electronic scales, it wouldn't let me calibrate and told me a 350 grain bullet weighed 1.5 grains, took it back.

Tomorrow I am taking the press back and hopefully, I can find the receipt and hopefully they have another.

This is getting annoying.:???:

Marlinreloader
08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Besides the display, which everbody screws with. I think what happens is the ol "shrinkage" thing happens in big outfits like them. You have all these people digging thru what people are going to buy. They open it look at and then sometimes put it back properly. What doesn't seem to get back together again seems to walk "somehow". This happens at our Sportsmans Warehouse all the time. If I buy retail and not thru the mailorder outlets, I always try to look to see it has not been opened or ask if I can look into the package before I buy.

Remember they always screw you in the drive thru.:-D

Marlinreloader

mooman76
08-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Basspros doesn't seem to know much about reloading. They just buy whatever to draw in some customers. The store here has no rhyme or reason to what they sell. There is no standard and every time they go they have different stuff. Allot of the Basspros have gotten out of reload sales all together.

Shiloh
08-05-2009, 07:40 PM
With Bass Pro Shops stick to grubs, spinners, crankbaits, poppers, ect. Get reloading and shooting stuff from reloading and shooting folks.

At one time I had ALL there catalogs. Gone now.

Shiloh

nascarkent
08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
You Know I have a gift card from Bass Pro ,I went the website to do some shopping for some boolit molds they don't sell em:(

LqChrome
08-18-2009, 03:42 PM
the last time i looked for supplies at pro shop, the kid couldn't show me but 12-15 hundred primers of all types combined!!!

Bailey Boat
08-18-2009, 04:47 PM
I've stopped going to BP, it's too stressful for an old man...... And besides like Shiloh said, unless it's grubs, lures and poppers you're only opening the door for dissapointment to walk into........

Ron.D
08-18-2009, 06:18 PM
This isn't specifically about Bass Pro, but about open boxes in general. I've been a plumbing contractor for 25 yrs. If a customer shows me a product in a box that's been opened I know from bad experience that there's a 50-50 chance that there's a screw that was made in Taiwan and hasn't been made in a couple yrs. that's missing. The other 5 lbs. of parts are all there. People that are tire kickers don't understand the importance of that little thing, that without, the whole item becomes a piece of scrap. Ron.D

CC Ryder
08-18-2009, 08:00 PM
We don't have one close to me here in AR. I started in one in Tennessee I believe and there was a sign about carry guns. I asked the greeter if that meant I was not welcome with my legal carry gun. She said no but I could leave it in my car.
I told her no thanks, I was on my way.
Don't ever need to go back.
CC

tackstrp
08-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I had a similar problem at Cabelas with a Hornady proressive l n l press at $400 . Parts were loose and floating around in the botton of the Box which, had way to much tape on it. The powder measure had oil sprayed on the Clear part . The ram was bent as was the primer guide . I got a Refund and order another from Midsouth.

peter nap
08-19-2009, 10:55 PM
We don't have one close to me here in AR. I started in one in Tennessee I believe and there was a sign about carry guns. I asked the greeter if that meant I was not welcome with my legal carry gun. She said no but I could leave it in my car.
CC

Thankfully, that's one problem we don't have here. I open carry everytime I go there and the only thing I ever heard was "How do you like that Para".

Recluse
08-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Basspros doesn't seem to know much about reloading. They just buy whatever to draw in some customers. The store here has no rhyme or reason to what they sell. There is no standard and every time they go they have different stuff. Allot of the Basspros have gotten out of reload sales all together.

Our BassPro had virtually no reloading equipment whatsoever, other than a handful of Mec Jr presses.

Then Cabela's opened up.

And BassPro lost a bass-boatload of business to Cabela's.

Including mine.

Now BassPro has a half-butted reloading aisle. And half-butted is being generous. They still don't have anybody that knows spit from shinola about it, though.

As Shiloh said, I use BassPro for my marine and boat needs. I'll buy a few clothes there and generally try to support them. Just not when it comes to firearms.

:coffee:

rbstern
08-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Bass Pro is a rollercoaster retail experience. When the northeast-of-Atlanta store first opened in an old grocery warehouse, it was exceptional. Great, friendly, knowledgable service. That was about 14 years ago.

Then they built their typical theme store a few miles down the road. That was about 8 years ago. It's a great looking store. The service was still pretty good back then, but it's been on a downhill slide for the last few years. I've had so many problems with poor service at that store, it's become comedy.

About two or three years ago, they got out of reloading. The only thing they stocked after that was a couple of MECs, some wads and lead shot. The lead shot was $57/bag. I found it humorous to see the same bags of shot causing the same bottom shelf to sag for a couple of years.

Then, recently, they got back into reloading. First, they had a big assortment of Lee die sets. Then they didn't. Seems that Hornady has replaced Lee. I guess Hornady offered a bigger discount.

They're all over the map. They've taken a Walmart service approach to the outdoor sporting retail specialty store. But they don't have Walmart pricing. Crappy Walmart service and priced higher than competitors = losing retail formula.

Baron von Trollwhack
08-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Boolit casters are a tough lot, much more sophisticated in our hobby than the common sporting goods store walk in. Obviously Bass Pro and others use razzle-dazzle to support their merchandising. and it really costs the average Joe, especially now with globalization where many goods are expensive imitations of quality. BvT

cajun shooter
08-21-2009, 08:52 AM
My local store is still selling shot for $60 a bag. I told one of the employee's that runs the gun dept that lead shot had fallen in price and he said oh well.

Dale53
08-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Fellers, just be glad you have some variety to even look at. Our local scene has changed a LOT from the past and mostly downhill. The big box stores, Bass Pro, as an example, has driven all of the Mom & Pop shops out of the business. Unfortunately, while the big box stores put excellent prices on their price leaders they don't carry the peripherals (small things). If they can't sell four million in a week they don't carry it.

My solution is to occasionally drop by - sometimes you'll find a good piece at a really good price (new Jerry Miculek Special 625-8 for $625.00 + tax a couple of years ago). They have a good selection of sportmen's knives (replaced my Gerber pocket knife after having it confiscated at the airport[smilie=b:) and they have a nice selection of clothes (and, of course, fishing gear). They often have a sale on excellent "fish fryers" that can often be bought for $30.00 or so and make the best smelting outfit most any of us can use (add a 12" cast iron dutch oven from Harbor Freight and you can do 1000 lbs in a day):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QWinter2009andleadsmelting-1767.jpg

However, I buy most of my shooting stuff these days on line (or gunshows). I have had excellent results, good prices, and VERY good service. It's just a different world than when we grew up. It's hard to accept that, but "it is what it is".

Dale53

oldhickory
08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't shop at any of those big chain sporting goods "supermarkets" anymore. Never been in a Bass Pro or Cabellas, Gander Mountain soured me with their prices and attitude two years ago...$39.95 for a box of .30 Carbine ammo?!...And that was two years ago! I just toss their catalogs in the trash.

klcarroll
08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
A Bass Pro Shop opened recently in my town: .....And I agree with one of the previous posters; .....It's a bit of a "roler coaster ride"!

Their powder and primer prices are at least in the middle range.

Their new guns are a bit high.

Their used gun prices are absurd.

....And their transfer policies are insulting! .......Nothing they deem to be "para-military"!

I think it's sad when the businesses that want to sell to us still treat us as though we are a bunch of potential criminals!! (I wonder what would happen to a business who tried to enforce their own idea of what kind of gun is "PC" back in 1776???)

Kent

myg30
08-30-2009, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=CC Ryder;640905]We don't have one close to me here in AR. I started in one in Tennessee I believe and there was a sign about carry guns. I asked the greeter if that meant I was not welcome with my legal carry gun. She said no but I could leave it in my car.
CC[/QUO

AMEN BROTHER! Dont do bussness with the anti's !!!

Mike

plumber
08-30-2009, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=CC Ryder;640905]We don't have one close to me here in AR. I started in one in Tennessee I believe and there was a sign about carry guns. I asked the greeter if that meant I was not welcome with my legal carry gun. She said no but I could leave it in my car.
CC[/QUO

AMEN BROTHER! Dont do bussness with the anti's !!!

Mike

Same thing at the BassPro in Foxborough, I figured I'd check it out while I was in the area it's right next to Patriots Place and Gillette Stadium. No big loss though, can't buy anything there anyways. You have to be a Massachusetts resident with a licence to buy so much as an airsoft pellet.
When I went to the Cabella's in Hartford they had a sign that simply asked to keep your concealed weapons concealed. They had a sale and I picked up a new MEC 9000 for $285

thx997303
08-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Probably ought to let these Bass Pro Shops know that they are violating corporate policy.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/28171.html

canebreaker
09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Bass pro shop in Memphis, TN is about 35 miles from my house. The one in Nashville, TN is about 25 miles from me when I'm there. The last 5 times I've been in either store, I left empty handed.
Sportsmen's Warehouse was in Southaven, MS for about 5 years. About 3 miles from my house. But closed due to downsizing. They had a better selection in the reloading department than bps. There was one in southeast Memphis, about 25 miles away. But haven't checked to see if it's still open.
Dick's openned in east Memphis, about 40 miles away. But doesn't carry much of anything for the reloader.
While I'm in Nashville, I drive about 10 miles to The Reloader's Bench in Mt. Juliet, TN. But the demand and supply has their shelves looking bare. I'll call 4 friends while there and pick up what they want, if they have it.
I've stopped at Gander Mountain in Jackson, TN a few of times. Reloading section sux, I don't like their prices, even if on sale.

phishroy
09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
well the bass pro around here doesn't even stock any reloading stuff. and most of the stuff it has is fishing related.

StarMetal
09-02-2009, 03:16 PM
They've gone Carp !!!!
Sorry, couldn't help it. :kidding:

Joe